RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 425
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you shower?
Daily 48 71.64%
5-6 times per week 8 11.94%
3-4 times per week 6 8.96%
1-2 times per week 4 5.97%
Less 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2014, 07:22 PM   #91
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: How often do you shower?

Americans are fat, so it requires more water to wash ourselves.
Old May 10 2014, 07:33 PM   #92
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Landscaping. We have a lot more land. And whole cities of lawns and golf courses in the middle of the Sonora Desert. How many families in Germany own detached homes with their own private swimming pools?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 08:17 PM   #93
Bagliun Edar
Lieutenant

How often do you shower?
Never...

...skip a day.
Old May 10 2014, 11:34 PM   #94
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Last time I was in the US I noticed they didn't have the half flush toilets everywhere like here, where you flush a lot less water if you've just done a wee. I live in a drought country so water restrictions and water saving measures with toilets, showers etc.. are the norm.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 07:36 PM   #95
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

it's similar in Germany (half flush toilets, showering rather than bathing, washing machines that use only a few gallons, watering only freshly sown lawns).
We do have plenty of water but it's expensive. Waste of water is frowned upon (as ist waste of energy and raw materials or recyclable material).
I think the difference between the US and Germany is mainly a difference in attitude towards environmental protection. But even within the US there are differences: California, for example is more environmentally conscious (right word?) than most other US states. There, in summer, they forbid watering the lawn or washing your car because of their lack of water (much like you do in Australia). The difference is that they save water because they need to and we save water because the alternative is unthinkable to us.
As for the reason for our lack of private pools: in a country full of clean lakes, ponds and rivers, who'd need an artificial pool?

LOL, Jarod, I really must post more often in the science forum if you doubt I can convert litres to gallons (I'll try to post more there, I promise. Am just horribly busy at work atm.)

Cool link, MacLeod! Thank you =)

Last edited by Rhubarbodendron; May 11 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 10:18 PM   #96
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

As far as saving water, electricity, and such. I live by myself. I take showers, and wash clothes when I have full loads. I run my dishwasher only when it is full. I try to keep my electric bill down by using the coil light bulbs in my lamps. The electric sent them free a while back and I really like them. I use water and electricity that I need.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 10:37 PM   #97
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Twice a day, every day. Once in the morning before going to work or going out, and once in the evening after a workout.
Old May 12 2014, 03:45 AM   #98
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
it's similar in Germany (half flush toilets, showering rather than bathing, washing machines that use only a few gallons, watering only freshly sown lawns).
We do have plenty of water but it's expensive. Waste of water is frowned upon (as ist waste of energy and raw materials or recyclable material).
I think the difference between the US and Germany is mainly a difference in attitude towards environmental protection. But even within the US there are differences: California, for example is more environmentally conscious (right word?) than most other US states. There, in summer, they forbid watering the lawn or washing your car because of their lack of water (much like you do in Australia). The difference is that they save water because they need to and we save water because the alternative is unthinkable to us.
As for the reason for our lack of private pools: in a country full of clean lakes, ponds and rivers, who'd need an artificial pool?

LOL, Jarod, I really must post more often in the science forum if you doubt I can convert litres to gallons (I'll try to post more there, I promise. Am just horribly busy at work atm.)

Cool link, MacLeod! Thank you =)
He didn't ask for a reason for your lack of pools, he was offering a possible explanation for differences in water usage.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 12:35 PM   #99
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I have now showered. Yeppers, cleaned myself with soap and everything. I am shining, even.

PRAISE ME OH INTERNETS

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:12 PM   #100
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Argh! Too sparkly! *puts on sunglasses*