RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 420
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 11 2014, 10:40 AM   #16
EmoBorg
Captain

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2014 - Copenhagen, Denmark

Congratulations to Conchita Wurst. I just saw Conchita Wurst's performance on youtube. Interesting choice of music. Very 007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 11:00 AM   #17
Tirius
Captain

A very diverse but ultimately enjoyable run this year - not in the least because we Dutch finally got back onto the podium, lol. Still, we lost to a deserved winner, IMO. Seeing Conchita Wurst sing and being so honestly overwhelmed by her success during the voting really sold it to me. Still, Eurovision continues its trend with me in that the performance I liked most for the evening... was the interval act, lol. Nice to see Emmelie de Forest still going strong.
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:19 PM   #18
Jono
Rear Admiral

I've only been watching for the last couple of years, but that was the closest contest I've seen. Congrats to Austria.

Special mention to Poland, favourite extras performance. It also reminded me to get my laundry in.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:26 PM   #19
EmoBorg
Captain

Jono wrote: View Post
I've only been watching for the last couple of years, but that was the closest contest I've seen. Congrats to Austria.

Special mention to Poland, favourite extras performance. It also reminded me to get my laundry in.

The Polish song was sexy as hell. I also liked the Belarus entry. Very much a Robin Thicke inspired track. The Kazakh girl in the MV is hot.

Last edited by EmoBorg; May 11 2014 at 04:12 PM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:23 PM   #20
Australis
Writer

I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a bit meh with the winner. Good song, very Bond theme as stated earlier, ,but I thought Spain and Poland were better. The set left me gobsmacked.

Jessica Mauboy did very well as the 'Aussie entry', it's pretty big Down Under, becase we have so many European migrants.

As usual, some crazy entries (the manster wheel and circular piano), and the chorus of, iirc, the Finnish entry ripped off Steppenwolf's 'Magic Carpet Ride' something fierce, but it was entertaining. I really must spend a year in Europe, just travelling. I really must.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; May 11 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 09:13 AM   #21
Jono
Rear Admiral

^ Iceland were the ones channelling "Magic Carpet Ride", Finland were the Indie boy band. Didn't mind Iceland. I thought their performance was pretty good, it was bright and lively.
Old May 13 2014, 01:06 AM   #22
Australis
Writer

Jono wrote: View Post
^ Iceland were the ones channelling "Magic Carpet Ride", Finland were the Indie boy band. Didn't mind Iceland. I thought their performance was pretty good, it was bright and lively.
Correct, I was just coming in to change this. I think I wrote Iceland the first time then changed it.

Also, Albania channelled Seal's 'Kiss From A Rose', anyone else get that vibe?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:14 AM   #23
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

In overall this years ESC left me with positive vibes. The finale was quite good quality and I liked the winner much

I also enjoyed seeing Jessica Mauboy and the Australian show.
I think it was about time they were invited to participate.
Denmark did great job hosting, I was very impressed by the stage and the rest of the production.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 04:03 PM   #24
Jono
Rear Admiral

Apparently we asked if we could rather than getting an offer. Given the links between Australia and Denmark it isn't a surprise they said yes. We do have an in with the royal family after all.