RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 441
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 10 2014, 07:52 AM   #331
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: ‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

At this point it would be foolish to mess with success. I say let him direct the movie, and let it stand on its own merits.
Brony Kingdom
Old May 10 2014, 08:10 AM   #332
Tosk
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
At this point it would be foolish to mess with success.
How about hiring a first-time director?
Old May 10 2014, 09:43 AM   #333
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Pasi Nurminen wrote: View Post
Well, it could hardly get any worse.
Didn't you hear? They're using Voyager's Threshold script as the basis for the third movie...
Old May 10 2014, 09:55 AM   #334
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Tosk wrote: View Post
At this point it would be foolish to mess with success.
How about hiring a first-time director?
He's someone who has been in the thick of things since the original concept, so it's not like he's unprepared. Plus, he has J.J. putting his two cents in for him, and I would consider that to be the best endorsement, overall. So I think he'll do a fine job, should he get the Director's chair.
Brony Kingdom
Old May 10 2014, 02:28 PM   #335
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Why can't they get a "big-name" director? Someone well known to the public, but who hasn't worked in Trek before?
Old May 10 2014, 02:30 PM   #336
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Why can't they get a "big-name" director? Someone well known to the public, but who hasn't worked in Trek before?
*Emailing Stuart Baird*

EDIT:

Talk about a track record!

Luckily, his "trek record" alone is freak anomaly (a positive one). Still, I think rookie directors should start with something small. Like Alex Kurtzman. "People Like Us" was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Mach5; May 10 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 11 2014, 02:48 AM   #337
Tulin
Vice Admiral

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
fessional and beyond the pale for Orci to tell fans to "fuck off"
When in the hell did THIS happen?!?

Old May 11 2014, 03:29 AM   #338
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I think the high ratings have less to do with the scripts and more with everything else like the cast chemistry, Abrams' energetic direction, ect. It's a case of a film that manages to be charming despite clunky scripts. I just don't personally find it all that charming, hence why I'm less forgiving.

As for that "fuck you" from Orci, my favorite bit of that internet fight was Orci daring fans to write a better script. He shouldn't bluff like that. Smug guys like him and Lindelof should be lucky that they became buddies with Abrams otherwise they wouldn't have made it this far.
Old May 11 2014, 04:21 AM   #339
Emperor Norton
Lieutenant Commander

Someone making a major motion picture their directorial debut? That's never failed miserably before.
Old May 11 2014, 06:36 AM   #340
UFO
Captain

Emperor Norton wrote: View Post
Someone making a major motion picture their directorial debut? That's never failed miserably before.
In this instance I don't think Abrams and Co would let him fail*.

* Definition of "failure" subject to personal opinion and/or box office returns, as always.
Old May 11 2014, 07:29 AM   #341
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

UFO wrote: View Post
Emperor Norton wrote: View Post
In this instance I don't think Abrams and Co would let him fail*.

* Definition of "failure" subject to personal opinion and/or box office returns, as always.
I agree. I'm confident because Abrams has given Orci his support for the Director's chair. If J.J. really is confident in Orci's abilities, or maybe knows something we don't, then I'm okay with it. I've liked J.J.'s work so far, so I'm going to have to walk on faith, just a little bit.
Brony Kingdom
Old May 11 2014, 10:36 AM   #342
Devon
Fleet Captain

Tulin wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
fessional and beyond the pale for Orci to tell fans to "fuck off"
When in the hell did THIS happen?!?

He didn't tell fans in general (which to anyone else still harping on this, this is getting extremely exaggerated and almost ridiculous.) He was engaged in a debate in that ridiculous and idiotic article on TrekMovie.com some guy who wrote called "Star Trek Is Broken." He responded to someone in the comments section with this:

Exact quote:
"“STID has infinetly more social commentary than Raiders in every Universe, and I say that with Harrison Ford being a friend. You lose credibility big time when you don’t honestly engage with the FUCKING WRITER OF THE MOVIE ASKING YOU AN HONEST QUESTION. You prove the cliche of shitty fans. And rude in the process. So, as Simon Pegg would say: FUCK OFF!”"

That's literally it. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe a tad overboard, but extremely hypocritical to use that as an argument against him when some of the fans have said far worse and even more irrational things towards these guys and other fans in general simply because they do not agree with the direction of the new films.
Old May 11 2014, 10:40 AM   #343
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

I thought it was hilarious, myself. Yeah, it was rude on his part, but considering the person to whom he responded, it was more tit-for-tat than straight up offense. Orci seems to know his own mind, and he's not apologetic about anything that might cause butthurt amongst some of the fans, and that's bound to lead to friction. Of course, I'm fine with that, too. Fans can be entitled twits, and some of them need to be verbally knocked on their asses.
Brony Kingdom
Old May 11 2014, 01:10 PM   #344
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I thought it was hilarious, myself. Yeah, it was rude on his part, but considering the person to whom he responded, it was more tit-for-tat than straight up offense.
I thought it was stupid as hell (like an ostensible chef reacting to a critical palate by demanding his customer go in the kitchen and whip up a better meal), hugely unprofessional and unintentionally revealing of a certain amount of insecurity.

Not that Orci is the first writer to Fail At the Internet or anything -- I think Anne Rice, Orson Scott Card and Dan Simmons are still the top three contenders for that prize -- but it's the most spectacular public flame-out I can ever remember seeing from a screenwriter / producer, and an illustration of the principle that someone who can't handle fan criticism should not be on forums.
Old May 11 2014, 01:47 PM   #345
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post

I thought it was stupid as hell (like an ostensible chef reacting to a critical palate by demanding his customer go in the kitchen and whip up a better meal), hugely unprofessional and unintentionally revealing of a certain amount of insecurity.
I find it refreshing and I like the fact that he's passionate enough about the work to defend it.