Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 10 2014, 11:57 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Playmates Star Trek action figures discussion thread

Marlonius wrote: View Post
Can you educate me? - what was the "1701" debacle?
It was really only a bother for completists and Mint-on-mint-card collectors, since all three of the limited-to-1701-pieces were headswaps that could easily be remade by customizers and openers.

Essentially it meant that fans intent on owning every single figure releases were now capped at 1701 people. Even less because no one could be guaranteed of finding all three rarities for their own collection, at least not at retail prices.

Playmates eventually re-released the rarities in a gift box:
http://figurefanzero.com/2012/12/13/...-by-playmates/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:47 AM   #17
Marlonius
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Therin and drt. This does all sound vaguely familiar now that I read it. Truth be told, I always thought the numbering of the Playmates figures in general was tacky.
Marlonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Lance
Fleet Captain

And I seem to remember that the decision to re-release the rarities as a box actually pissed off the 1701 guys who bought the originals, because suddenly their "limited edition collector's pieces" weren't quite so limited edition anymore. So in the end nobody was happy.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Marlonius wrote: View Post
Truth be told, I always thought the numbering of the Playmates figures in general was tacky.
Totally agree. I could never grasp the point. Were people supposed to search the pegs to get the lowest numbers possible? Were the aftermarkets bring in additional profits for low or matching numbers? Personally, I used to go through the pegs seeking the best paint jobs possible, as opposed to those who wanted the most pristine cardbacks.

When I heard that the numbers were printed on the feet before being attached to figures, and that some people were getting figures with a number on each foot (as I eventually did with a Starfleet Seska), it seemed to negate any real collectability.
Old May 11 2014, 07:23 PM   #20
drt
Commander

Yeah, I never really got where they were going with the numbering thing. As I recall the numbers on first couple of series of TNG figures got into the 300,000's - anything connected to a popular property with diehard collectors they make that many of will ever be rare enough in this day and age to be worth much down the line. I sometimes wondered if the figures just happened to be numbered as part of the standard production process, and Playmates seized on that to try and boost the "collectibility".
drt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 10:43 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
I sometimes wondered if the figures just happened to be numbered as part of the standard production process
Nah, as I said, male Starfleet legs were all numbered at once, so there wasn't even a guarantee that every figure had every number represented.

to try and boost the "collectibility".
It was exactly that. It certainly did excite a section of the collectors, and that's all you need to create word-of-mouth publicity. Except when it backfires, like the 1701s.
Old May 12 2014, 06:50 PM   #22
drt
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
I sometimes wondered if the figures just happened to be numbered as part of the standard production process
Nah, as I said, male Starfleet legs were all numbered at once, so there wasn't even a guarantee that every figure had every number represented.
Ahhh... I understand now what you were saying. I still was thinking that each number was specific for a particular figure during production.

I guess that means that I've perhaps been inflating the number of male figures produced overall, so if instead of the assembly involving "Geordi" legs, it was "generic Starfleet male" legs used, then there are probably much fewer than the 300K number of each I mentioned earlier.
drt is online now   Reply With Quote