RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,442
Members: 25,786
Currently online: 544
Newest member: mekahut

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 5 2014, 05:53 AM   #46
Lucky
Commander

Re: Is Spock the main character of TOS?

Kirk was always the protagonist. Spock was the deuteragonist.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:59 AM   #47
Push The Button
Fleet Captain

Spock is probably the best known and most popular character, sort of like Kramer on Seinfeld. Kirk was the main character, however.
Old May 5 2014, 04:18 PM   #48
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Note that Nimoy directed ST III. In the very film where he brought Spock back, he also took pains to kill off his rival for "main character" status, namely the Enterprise.

The 1701-A then had the thankless task of filling in for a fan favorite, much like Priscilla Barnes replacing Suzanne Somers on Three's Company or Cheryl Ladd coming into Charlie's Angels for Farrah Fawcett. It's never quite the same, which was Nimoy's plan all along.
Except........... Harve Bennett has always gone on record as having written the script by himself. Nimoy, I'm sure, had plenty to contribute, but the script, and therefore the destruction of the Enterprise, was Harve Bennett's baby.
Old May 5 2014, 04:31 PM   #49
Dennis
The Man

When TOS was on NBC, Spock was easily the most popular character on the show.
"Part of me looks at society as it is now and just thinks we’ve been infantilised by our own taste. Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things – comic books, superheroes. Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously." - Simon Pegg
Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:03 AM   #50
albion432
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
albion432 wrote: View Post
Here are some facts to support this idea:
1. Spock was the first character Roddenberry created for Star Trek after getting the obligatory “Number One” character of out of the way, which he conceived to fulfil a promised he made to his mistress and future wife that she’d be a part of his next series.
Source, please? I haven't heard that before, and it sounds unlikely. We know that Roddenberry was inspired by the Horatio Hornblower novels, so it seems likely that the first character he conceived was the captain (although it took him a long time to settle on a name).

A lot has been written about the development and production of ST, but I can't recall reading anything about Roddenberry's earliest creative process before the original 1964 pitch document, which lists multiple characters including Captain April (later Pike), Number One, Jose Ortegas (later Tyler), Dr. Boyce, the "probably half-Martian" first lieutenant Spock, and Yeoman Colt, in that order. Note that Spock is second-last in the list, hardly the position you'd expect to find the lead character.
According to Majel Barrett, the first character introduced in the [Cage] script was Number One. "That was the first character Gene wrote into the script," Barrett stated. "Captain April was not an afterthought because he knew he had to have a captain, but the first character that was described was Number One." (Star Trek Monthly issue 27, p. 43)

As promised, when I came across the evidence to support my claim, I'd post it immediately. 1 down, 1 to go . . .
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote