Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 10 2014, 10:48 PM   #151
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

drt wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Well it's a different universe, perhaps Carol will resist Jim's charms.
McCoy seemed more interested in her than Kirk did, I think that might be an interesting matchup.
David McCoy M.D., creates a cure for a disease afflicting thousands but he takes a shortcut and the cure mutates into a virus that kills billions.
Old May 10 2014, 11:01 PM   #152
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The reckless gene was from the Kirk half of his genetics.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:34 AM   #153
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

"I'm a doctor, damnit, not a parental role model!"
Old May 11 2014, 02:45 AM   #154
CrazyMatt
Commander

SUPERB AVATAR SKYWALKER!

"Jean LUKE, I am your father."
Old May 11 2014, 02:48 AM   #155
CrazyMatt
Commander

Abrams even ruined the Enterprise.... the warp drive pods look pregnant and the bridge looks like a hospital ward. No thanks! If you like it, enjoy. I'll stick with the original.
Old May 11 2014, 02:53 AM   #156
CrazyMatt
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Just as long as Starbuck stays a woman . . . .
Another flubbed re-do, if you ask me.
Old May 11 2014, 07:16 AM   #157
sojourner
Admiral

It is possible to edit your original post.
Old May 11 2014, 10:22 AM   #158
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's worth pointing out that the Abrams movies have already had an effect on Classic Trek tie-ins published post-2009. Kirk's parents being Starfleet officers who served on the USS Kelvin came up in Federation: The First 150 Years, the novel Children of Kings is set in a loose hybrid of the TOS and nuTrek universes according to the author, Uhura mentions having had an Orion roommate in The Rings of Time... they're little tidbit references, but it shows the new movies influencing the original.
Old May 11 2014, 01:50 PM   #159
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Abrams even ruined the Enterprise.... the warp drive pods look pregnant and the bridge looks like a hospital ward. No thanks! If you like it, enjoy. I'll stick with the original.
I like them both. Though the original will always be my first love.
Old May 11 2014, 04:50 PM   #160
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gotta disagree. The new BSG was vast improvement on the original.

The first version isn't always the best . . ..
Old May 11 2014, 04:58 PM   #161
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gotta disagree. The new BSG was vast improvement on the original.

The first version isn't always the best . . ..
Up is about the only direction you could go with BSG.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:06 PM   #162
Christopher
Writer

My feeling is that, while the revived BSG was certainly a lot smarter and better-written, the original was generally more fun and watchable. I wish modern TV writers would get out of the habit of believing that only dark, cynical, depressing, violent stories can be intelligent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:07 PM   #163
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

albion432 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Malaika wrote: View Post
...Are you complaining that Uhura also was Kirk's friend in Star trek into darkness?...
"There’s a difference between a female character who exists in a story and has a romantic relationship with a male character versus a female character who exists in a story to have a romantic relationship with a male character"
and Uhura is the first, not the second.
Good point. Uhura in the new movies isn't defined purely by her romance with Spock; that's just the part that stands out most in observers' minds and overshadows the rest. She's also been redefined in a gadfly/conscience role for Kirk, much like the role McCoy played originally. She's the one person who isn't impressed by his charm and cockiness and is thus able to keep him honest, to anchor him in reality. Although I'll grant that STID didn't do as much with that side of her role as ST'09 did (oh, how I wish that film had a proper subtitle).
Very good point Christopher. And one I'm glad you brought up, as it may dovetail into a prediction I'll make; McCoy's role will continue to diminish in future incarnations of ST.

It's the changing context. In the old thing, it's undeniable to me that the sexism and the biases of that era was the main reason why the 3 most prominent characters were all males. Trying to apply the same scheme nowadays might be problematic and anachronistic.
In that, the Kirk-Uhura-Spock thing kind of mirrors the working Harry-Ron-Hermione formula. The dynamic is able to provide both a romantic relationship AND a platonic friendship between one of the male characters and the female one. You kill more than two birds with one stone.

This is not to say, though, that it must be either Uhura or McCoy. I think, so far, they both kind of have the same roles and prominence in terms of being the two characters that are the most close to the two male protagonists.
I still see Spock/Uhura and Kirk/Bones kind of parallel each other a bit in terms of scenes. Like at the beginning of stid you see Bones 'helping' Kirk to distract the natives while in the shuttle you see Uhura helping Spock get into his volcano suit.
Also, while you do have a Kirk-Uhura-Spock dynamic in the away mission on kronos, you also have scenes on the bridge with a Kirk-McCoy-Spock dynamic.

They just need to give some interactions to Uhura and McCoy too and you have a quadrumvirate.
They already sort of have their quadrumvirate moment in the end when it's essentially McCoy, Uhura and Spock that saved Kirk. I love when McCoy reminded Kirk that him and Uhura had something to do with that too and he shouldn't thank only Spock
Uhura and McCoy also were the two officers that helped Spock trick Khan with the torpedoes (I must be the only one that remembered that scene where he instructed them and thus why Uhura was in sickbay at one point when Kirk and Scotty brought an injured Carol there and she was the first to help her walk with a nurse)
Old May 11 2014, 06:54 PM   #164
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Uhura mentions having had an Orion roommate in The Rings of Time...
Hah! I don't even remember writing that.
Old May 11 2014, 07:10 PM   #165
albion432
Lieutenant

I agree with the viewpoint of your last post Malaika, I like how you tie the change of importance between Uhura and McCoy as a sign of the times. That seems to be why these changes occur over time, in order to keep the character interactions and situation current.

I have another analogy and prediction that is completely separate from your post, but will post it here to tie into the whole Uhura McCoy interaction you suggested.

Malaika wrote: View Post
They just need to give some interactions to Uhura and McCoy too . . .
Here's my next prediction, that Uhura and McCoy will hook up in the next incarnation of ST. Here's the reasoning behind my theory:

Ok, take Goldilocks and the three bears:

Kirk= Papa Bear
Spock= Mama Bear
McCoy= Baby Bear

Uhura= Goldilocks (or rather, the antithesis of Goldilocks)

First Goldilocks gets into Papa Bear's bed, but it's too hard and she doesn't like it. In the original series Uhura and Kirk have a kissing scene in Plato's Stepchildren (the fact they were forced into it doesn't matter in this analogy). Obviously Uhura must have though Kirk was "too hard" and didn't like it, since nothing more came of it. (I've read a pretty good case for Kirk and Uhura having something going on the side in the original series, which can be inferred by his preferential treatment of her on the bridge, but that's another story.)

Next Goldilocks gets into Mama Bear's bed, but it's too soft and she doesn't like it either. In the reboot Uhura has several kissing scenes with Spock, but my guess is eventually she's going to decide this rebooted Spock is too soft and she won't like it, and she will eventually dump him. Or maybe she won't dump him in this reboot, and maybe they will begin the next reboot together but she will get bored with having to wait seven year to have sex with him and will dump him for being "too soft" for too long of a period, which leaves the door wide open for McCoy to step in.

Finally Goldilocks gets into Baby Bear's bed, and it's just right! Based on this motif, I'm going to predict in the next reboot Uhura is going to have even more kissing scenes with McCoy, and she is going to like it and stay with him.

To further my theory, remember what Dax said of McCoy, he's definitely got surgeon's hands.

Maybe through some weird transporter accident two of them will eventually be merged into one character, like Tuvix in Voyager. You know how much McCoy always hated the transporter, and maybe for good reason after all. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by albion432; May 11 2014 at 10:38 PM.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote