RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,140
Posts: 5,401,893
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 441
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9 2014, 10:59 PM   #136
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I, uh, don't really follow any of that stuff you said about "ghosting," but yes, it's plausible that McCoy's role might stay diminished in favor of Uhura.

By the same token, now that Kirk and Spock's circle of friends is no longer a boys' club, now that Uhura can fill the role McCoy used to, that suggests that McCoy may need to find another role or simply end up marginalized.
It seems like you got the basic gist; I predicted McCoy will likely become more "marginalized" as time goes on, perhaps by being killed off or simply being left out of some future reboot.

As for not getting the word “ghosting”, in the English language a new verb can be created rather easily by adding a sufix like “ed” or “ing” to the end of a noun, thus the term “being ghosted” is born. In fact, one need not change a noun at all to make it a verb, for example, by you not being able to “really following any of that stuff”, I could say “well, he just pulled another ‘Christopher’!” Do ya see what I mean?

I thought I laid everything out rather clearly, I even had you in mind when I was writing my last post. "Ghosted" is in reference to the fate of the other "third member’s" of the trinities I used by way of example. Perhaps I should have used “holy ghosted” as my verb, does that make things any clearer?
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 11:37 PM   #137
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

Uhh, yes, the grammar part is obvious. As for the rest... never mind.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 11:39 PM   #138
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

I think he understood the word and your use of it. It's the theory of your previous post that doesn't fly.

ETA: This was in reply to albion432
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 11:45 PM   #139
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think he understood the word and your use of it. It's the theory of your previous post that doesn't fly.

ETA: This was in reply to albion432
If you don't mind taking the time to elaborate a little, I would be sincerely interested in hearing why you feel the theory doesn't fly.

In fact, I'll invite anyone who wishes to point out holes in the logic of my "theory" to please take aim and let those arrows fly!

Last edited by albion432; May 10 2014 at 07:54 AM.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:03 AM   #140
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

Easy, Star Trek over the years has had many writers. There is no overriding hidden agenda to mirror the trinity of christian faith. It's getting into wacko conspiracy theory territory.


ETA: not sure why you felt the need to repost your earlier post.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:21 AM   #141
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

sojourner wrote: View Post
Easy, Star Trek over the years has had many writers. There is no overriding hidden agenda to mirror the trinity of christian faith. It's getting into wacko conspiracy theory territory.
Interesting, where does the conspiracy theory come in? All I can say is "You proceed from a false notion."

sojourner wrote: View Post
ETA: not sure why you felt the need to repost your earlier post.
Not sure why you're not sure, as I said, I reposted it for ease of access to those who wish to point out its flaws, since the original is on another page.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:23 AM   #142
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

albion432 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Easy, Star Trek over the years has had many writers. There is no overriding hidden agenda to mirror the trinity of christian faith. It's getting into wacko conspiracy theory territory.
Interesting, where does the conspiracy theory come in? All I can say is "You proceed from a false notion."

sojourner wrote: View Post
ETA: not sure why you felt the need to repost your earlier post.
Not sure why you're not sure, as I said, I reposted it for ease of access to those who wish to point out its flaws, since the original is on another page.
Not on my computer.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:32 AM   #143
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

albion432 wrote: View Post

Interesting, where does the conspiracy theory come in? All I can say is "You proceed from a false notion."
Seriously? You just equated 3 fictional characters and how they will be handled in the future with the holy trinity from Christianity and I'm the one proceeding from a false notion?

__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 02:53 AM   #144
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

albion432 wrote: View Post
...
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 03:06 AM   #145
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

sojourner wrote: View Post
Seriously? You just equated 3 fictional characters and how they will be handled in the future with the holy trinity from Christianity and I'm the one proceeding from a false notion?

They’re all fictional characters
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 03:19 AM   #146
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

albion432 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Seriously? You just equated 3 fictional characters and how they will be handled in the future with the holy trinity from Christianity and I'm the one proceeding from a false notion?

They’re all fictional characters
Which is not helping your argument.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 03:40 AM   #147
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

sojourner wrote: View Post
albion432 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Seriously? You just equated 3 fictional characters and how they will be handled in the future with the holy trinity from Christianity and I'm the one proceeding from a false notion?

They’re all fictional characters
Which is not helping your argument.
I think I see where you're coming from, and I'm ending this conversation on the public forum.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 04:44 AM   #148
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

BillJ wrote: View Post
albion432 wrote: View Post
...
I like this, a bit crudely done, but funny. Would Roddenberry be Moses, or should he be the burning bush instead?
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 05:18 AM   #149
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

albion432 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
albion432 wrote: View Post

They’re all fictional characters
Which is not helping your argument.
I think I see where you're coming from, and I'm ending this conversation on the public forum.
I don't think you do. I am saying that, regardless of whether they're all fictitious, it's a silly comparison.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 09:56 PM   #150
drt
Commander
 
Re: Are the changes to TOS lore here to stay?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Well it's a different universe, perhaps Carol will resist Jim's charms.
McCoy seemed more interested in her than Kirk did, I think that might be an interesting matchup.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.