Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 8 2014, 11:27 AM   #31
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: What it means to be a trekkie

It's interesting to ask why a Trek fan is considered a fucking weirdo when he dresses up as Starfleet officer or Klingon, but no one bats an eye when a football fan dresses up and smears warpaint over his face.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:17 PM   #32
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Sports teams represent the pride of entire communities, towns and cities. Olympic sports represent entire countries. Perhaps, that's why?
Old May 8 2014, 01:53 PM   #33
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Sports teams represent the pride of entire communities, towns and cities. Olympic sports represent entire countries. Perhaps, that's why?
My husband isn't from the city that his football team represents. He's never lived there. Maybe its different in the US.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:56 PM   #34
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Nah, it's still just another aspect of extreme fandom. The main difference is, Star Trek fans don't break out into drunken, rage filled brawls and riots over the show.

Nerd rage is much more peaceful.
Old May 8 2014, 02:51 PM   #35
Mario de Monti
Captain

Actually I´m not so sure about that - just look at some of the verbal exchanges here at the TrekBBS
Old May 8 2014, 03:30 PM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Like in the threads concerning Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 10:14 PM   #37
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's interesting to ask why a Trek fan is considered a fucking weirdo when he dresses up as Starfleet officer or Klingon, but no one bats an eye when a football fan dresses up and smears warpaint over his face.
I've been known to do both
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 07:10 AM   #38
Mario de Monti
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Like in the threads concerning Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C?

Bob
The slightest thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind.

Mario
Old May 9 2014, 09:28 AM   #39
YARN
Fleet Captain

Kristi wrote: View Post
-Why is there still a stigma around the star trek fandom when their fandom is so large and popular today?
Trek stigma is not that severe. I've never heard of anyone getting lynched or denied a job for being a Trekkie. At most, a fan of Trek might get laughed at or teased, but we should be careful here, because...

Trek "stigmatizing" is often playful and affectionate (i.e., not really stigmatization). Your friends rib you for being a Trek fan and make some Spock jokes, have you been stigmatized or recognized? Are you being laughed at or laughed with?

Trek stigma is not unique. Fan stigma attaches to fiction communities in general (Avatards, Twilighters, Bronies, etc.). At most, the Trek nerd is a sort of pop-cultural trope--a symbolic placeholder for all the various sorts of fandoms out there. And this raises another point...

Trek stigma does not really identify one as being really "out there." On the contrary, it's pretty safe/mainstream. Want to find a tribe that's hard to claim? Find the people who are seriously representin' Galactica 1980 or Automan or something. Star Trek has solid cultural recognition. Identifying as a Trekkie is to identify as something a lot of other people like.

Finally, the alleged stigma is hard to assess with the reversals of "nerd culture." We've gone through the looking glass where being a nerd is cool. Trek is just one brand of nerd that is safe for claim.

Kristi wrote: View Post
-How do trekkies see themselves in contrast to how everyone else does? !
LOL, Trekkies see themselves as people - just like everyone else.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:21 PM   #40
AtoZ
Commander

I remember as a child back in the 70's classmates and friends would at best, rib, or at worst (most often), ridicule me for being a huge Star Trek fan. I never understood it (the ridicule) and I never understood what people didn't see in TOS. I had a couple of friends who would often come over to watch it, but the moment we were in public, denial would be on their lips the moment the show was brought up.

My one buddy had an older brother who at 18, was considered "the guy", the coolest of the cool in our neighborhood. He happened to be watching "Spectre of the Gun" one afternoon when I stopped by. I said something to the effect of "hey, that's a really good episode" and in short order I began to watch what was left of it with him. Just like that my net value went up because my buddy's cool older brother suddenly saw me in a new light. A fine, cool, Trekker he was.

Odd thing about those that were doing the ridicule. They, in almost all cases, were the ones lining up to go see The Muppet Movie...something I would never have done if even under the threat of death. And I was "the nerd"?
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 06:59 PM   #41
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

But they aren't on the team and do not contribute to the teams wins or losses. If the pride in your community rests in the records of your local sports teams, your priorities are messed up. These are businesses, they can get up and move when ever they want. ( Am I right Oakland ans LA?) It's no different than an auto plant moving out of a city. Though the auto plant shutting down is probably worse when you think about it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; May 16 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 07:02 PM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Fandom is fascinating. When people define themselves over the achievements of others, and think they are superior to other people because someone else is successful. It's funny.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 07:15 PM   #43
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

albion432 wrote: View Post
So whatja gonna do when you find the right one? Are you going to "come out of the closet" and fess up to being a Trekkie, or are you going to leave your beloved collection in the closet? Maybe the solution to your "embarrassment" problems would be to meet that special someone at a Star Trek con!
I'm not going to find my Guinevere at no STAR TREK convention! I want a woman I can be eXcited by. Big glasses, dirndl skirts and all that just won't do. I insist upon having Women of Quality: All of their lovin' ... all of their huggin' ... and all of their kisses, too. And when I meet The Right One and she finds my Secret Stash of STAR TREK, I'll ...

I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
I'm probably being my usual slow and dim-witted self here - but you are kidding with that comment, right?
Old May 16 2014, 07:41 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post

Odd thing about those that were doing the ridicule. They, in almost all cases, were the ones lining up to go see The Muppet Movie...something I would never have done if even under the threat of death. And I was "the nerd"?
Hey, "The Muppet Movie" is great!

Trust me, you can be a Trekkie and still enjoy the Muppets.
Old May 16 2014, 08:01 PM   #45
Marsden
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
AtoZ wrote: View Post

Hey, "The Muppet Movie" is great!

Trust me, you can be a Trekkie and still enjoy the Muppets.
I agree with this comment 100%.