Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 5 2014, 03:41 PM   #1081
Richard Baker
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Least favourite of mine was the Klingon D7 very disappointed more detail needed -.
IIRC the original filming miniature of the D-7 had very little detail. The AMT Model kit added the fins in the secondary hull leading edges and the narrow vents on the top of the hull. Those were intended from the design sketches but never on the ship we saw on screen.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:07 PM   #1082
publiusr
Commodore

Any plans to do more large size ships like the JJ Prise. I'd love to see the refit at that size.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:16 PM   #1083
trekker670
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Any plans to do more large size ships like the JJ Prise. I'd love to see the refit at that size.
The JJ-Prise is larger because it's one of the special issues. The DS9 model was also (slightly) larger than the bi-monthly issues. The Vengeance is also on the list as a special issue, and I'd imagine that will be roughly the same size as the JJ-Prise.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:29 PM   #1084
Yanks
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
The Vengeance is also on the list as a special issue, and I'd imagine that will be roughly the same size as the JJ-Prise.
I would hope it would be larger...
Old May 6 2014, 02:16 AM   #1085
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
The Vengeance is also on the list as a special issue, and I'd imagine that will be roughly the same size as the JJ-Prise.
I would hope it would be larger...
I agree, but this series isn't in scale, so I doubt they'd start with the JJ-Prise and Vengeance, given the latter would have to be double the length, making it nearly a foot and a half long!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 04:06 AM   #1086
mswood
Rear Admiral

Well my order of issues 11-16 came in Saturday (got it today), And boy it had some great ships and the worst one they have yet to make.

The Ferengi Marauder is easily the worst, both model and magazine.

The Magazine's completely omits all of the wonderful detail on their CGI Plan Views (the only Plan view worse is the Romulan War Bird, boy it looked like crap).

Then on the model to not paint anything, WTF (I did know this was going to happen, just venting). Seriously the worst overall paint job.

The only other problem ship was the Galor class Cardassian ship. Both the tail and the cobra head are very marginally off (I mean ever so slightly), enough to not request a new one, but enough to make you look twice at it.

But the Reliant is outstanding tied with NX-01 and 1701-D as the best models to date.

Tthen you have three ships that are not quite as great, but I love hem and so very happy to have the Nova class, the Dominion Cruiser, and the Akira class. Heck I might just order extras of those three just because I don't have any of them in any other form factor.
Old May 6 2014, 04:06 AM   #1087
mswood
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
ActuallY I think so far I would like to see the Excelsior at that size just because how slight the ship is currently.
Old May 6 2014, 04:48 AM   #1088
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
After pre-ordering in mid-February, I finally got the email yesterday indicating that they are now starting to ship to Canadian subscribers, so it looks like I'll have my first shipment within the next 21 days. W00t!
Well, that didn't take long... the first shipment arrived today! The Enterprise-D was waiting for me when I got home! (I had thought they mentioned *two* ships would arrive with each shipment, but maybe they're just sort of ramping up or something.)

I guess I don't really recall seeing anyone in this thread discussing the packaging, but I had sort of assumed they would have come in a shipping box. The bubble envelope doesn't really do much to protect them, and so the magazine arrives fairly beat-up looking. And the box that holds the model was sort of crushed in on one corner, but fortunately the models are packed well in the box, so the ship itself was no worse for wear.

And of course, the model itself was fantastic, but I was kinda expecting that with all the praise on here...

Any other Canadian subscribers on the board?
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:05 AM   #1089
drt
Commander

In the US they come two at a time in a cardboard box.
drt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:34 AM   #1090
mswood
Rear Admiral

After pre-ordering in mid-February, I finally got the email yesterday indicating that they are now starting to ship to Canadian subscribers, so it looks like I'll have my first shipment within the next 21 days. W00t!
Well, that didn't take long... the first shipment arrived today! The Enterprise-D was waiting for me when I got home! (I had thought they mentioned *two* ships would arrive with each shipment, but maybe they're just sort of ramping up or something.)

I guess I don't really recall seeing anyone in this thread discussing the packaging, but I had sort of assumed they would have come in a shipping box. The bubble envelope doesn't really do much to protect them, and so the magazine arrives fairly beat-up looking. And the box that holds the model was sort of crushed in on one corner, but fortunately the models are packed well in the box, so the ship itself was no worse for wear.

And of course, the model itself was fantastic, but I was kinda expecting that with all the praise on here...

Any other Canadian subscribers on the board?
Sorry to hear about the packaging, but congrats to our Canadian brothers and sisters.

And yes that model is one of the very best. I mean besides the same size shuttle bays I really didn't have any issue with it, and the painted detail for a ship that size was just WOW.

Just remember the next is one of the weaker efforts, and then its back up in quality. In fact really personally just the 1701 refit, the Cardassian ship and Ferengi ship have been poor in my opinion. And still not terrible.
Old May 6 2014, 08:02 AM   #1091
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

drt wrote: View Post
In the US they come two at a time in a cardboard box.
They do that here too!

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:57 PM   #1092
Sans
Lieutenant

Any word on when the JJ-Prise will hit the states?
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 10:30 PM   #1093
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Sans wrote: View Post
Any word on when the JJ-Prise will hit the states?
I have no idea, but mine looks rather nice on my desk.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 03:13 AM   #1094
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Im amazed that with all the slight mistakes and errors in the models,that paramount(or whoever) are getting the models on the market with those flaws.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:40 AM   #1095
drt
Commander

I've read that Lucasfilm used to be rather draconian in their pre-release approval process (but my understanding is thay was the exception rather than the rule). It's possible that if Eaglemoss released a bunch of crap CBS might pull the license, but my guess is the quality of the customer service probably means more to CBS than the products themselves.

That being said, to date, the only error that I think is particularly glaring is the backwards decal on Defiant, but even that is so relatively minor that I don't think it's that big of a strike on the overall line (and in no way would raise the ire of CBS). Other problems like the occasional crooked part or paint inconsistencies are to be expected on a mass-produced item a $20 price point. If it was expected that every unit would be picture perfect, it could likely raise the price just enough that the product would likely not be as viable.
drt is online now   Reply With Quote