TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,
Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever. 38 40.86%
Excellent 38 40.86%
Good 15 16.13%
Average 2 2.15%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2014, 11:43 AM   #61
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Senator Therin approves. Until the animated or audio spin-offs start up, I'll be in my trailer. Congratulations!

TOS Senator Therin by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:37 PM   #62
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Wonderful work... Now...

How about letting the deaf enjoy this by adding English subtitles?

That will also enable ready subtitlers in Spanish, Portuguese, German, and Czech. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/5347..._comment_reply . Please allow the non-hearing and the non-English speaking Trek communities to enjoy this great work!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 08:40 PM   #63
Bixby
Commander

Out of curiosity, is the security guy at the 43:00 mark the same redshirt who captured the Tressaurian at the 25:00 mark? They look like the same actor but I could be wrong...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 08:50 PM   #64
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

^^^I'm pretty sure it's the same redshirt who captured the lizard.

This may come as a slight surprise, but a number of scenes in Act 4 were actually never scripted or shot, but constructed from trims of scenes shot for earlier acts. The lizard killing the redshirt in the corridor is one of those. Another example: the entire opening of Act 4 (called "spinout" in my edit timeline) was manufactured by me by chopping up a jib shot of B'fuselek looking past the camera, adding the "pain ripples", creating a POV shot of the screen, and shooting an insert of hands operating the panel. The script never called for the ship to stop after entering weirdspace—heck, it never called for the Exeter to enter weirdspace at all— but once Act 3's ending changed and deviated from the script in terms of the order of scenes and added the ship entering weirdspace, I had to think of some way to bring the action to a pause so that the shuttle sequence could play out. Just one example of how difficult this edit was.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; May 6 2014 at 03:10 AM.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 10:19 PM   #65
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

however it all came together, its definitely the best fan film i've seen.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 02:28 AM   #66
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch "The Tressaurian Intersection."

Last edited by doubleohfive; May 7 2014 at 01:13 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:21 AM   #67
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

Exeter was my first fan film, the one that got me most excited, and ultimately what got me to start making a show of my own. Their first episode was just what I wanted to see in fan films: cool new episodes that are part of the Trek universe without being enslaved to it (as I think Phase II often is). When the teaser for Tressaurian Intersection came out, I was thrilled... so thrilled, in fact, that I promised myself I would go for delayed gratification and not watch any more until I could watch the whole thing.

It took longer than I expected! But I'm glad I waited. Watching this whole episode in one sit down was a pleasant surprise -- and not just because I gave up on the episode several years ago! It was a reminder of what fan films can do with good direction, a solid teleplay, and a lot of love.

I have a few minor quibbles, but I don't choose to make them now... or ever. I wanted to be entertained. I was entertained. I wanted to lose myself in the story for an hour. I did. I wanted to watch the whole episode without ever needing to look anything up on Memory Alpha. I didn't. Those three things would seem to be the basics of good filmmaking, yet they happen far too rarely in fanmade land. I only hope that they happen in mine from time to time. The good here clearly outweighs the bad by about a light-year.

If the company ever decides to Kickstart "The Atlantis Invaders", I'm on board! I would hate this to be the last we see of Captain John Quincy Garrovick; the community needs role models like this. And I need my dose of fresh Trek entertainment.

Thanks for finishing this!
Old May 6 2014, 11:16 AM   #68
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Excellent review, Doubleohfive.
Old May 6 2014, 01:40 PM   #69
Dennis
The Man

Thanks very much for the kind words. I certainly appreciate the depth and analysis of the way the show is put together on a professional level; I don't think I've seen another review of a fan film that's quite so detailed and knowledgeable about those things. It certainly made me aware of aspects of the direction, cinematography and editing that I'd not noticed despite having watched this show in whole and probably hundreds of times over the last decade.

Now, as for comparisons with other fan films - we're all doing our own things. It's the most natural thing in the world for filmmakers who are fans of Star Trek to embrace and make use of the whole now-fifty-year history and continuity of the show as most of these movies do. Personally, the only TOS fan film so far that I enjoy as much as I've enjoyed working on Exeter is Phase II's "Worlds Enough And Time," which is cleverly directed and makes the best use of guest casting I've ever seen. People who love the franchise love the characters they see in it, whether it's Sulu or Kirk or Yar or Garth (or the Doomsday Machine or the Guardian of Forever, they count as characters, right? ). It just happens that the Johnsons are especially fascinated with Star Trek as it originally was presented and made a creative decision not to update it and to restrict the source material they referenced almost entirely to what a fan in 1970 would have been aware of. That choice set the whole project off in a somewhat different direction than many.

It was easy for me to embrace and run with that, because I was twelve years old in 1966 when I heard Kirk say in "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" something like "there are twelve like [the Enterprise] in the fleet," and two days later my best friend and I had made up our own Star Fleet starship with our own characters, etc. So I identify with the brothers Johnson pretty strongly despite differences in our ages and attitudes toward many other things.

Anyway, many thanks for the review. I think the folks over on the FB page would enjoy it as well.
Old May 6 2014, 03:42 PM   #70
Dennis
The Man

BTW, Starship Farragut is another TOS-based fan series that features its own crew and ship. Check out their latest episode below:

Old May 6 2014, 04:43 PM   #71
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I really, really liked The Price of Anything. It's certainly up there with TTI as one of my very favourite fanfilms. Both of them have good rewatch value.

Talking of which, when will we be getting a good quality mp4 of TTI?
Old May 6 2014, 06:48 PM   #72
Bixby
Commander

Very indepth and spot-on review for TTI. Nice job.

I also liked ''The Price of Anything'', where it seems the Farragut crew are finally establishing their own identity (meaning no more quoting TOS and TREK movie lines, referencing Kirk out of the blue- Excalibur did that as well in their first webisode, it's high time all productions stopped doing that).

I think the day all production companies stop recycling Klingons, Romulans and Tribbles into their stories, and bring in their OWN aliens as distinct as the Gorns, the Hortas and the Tholians, then finally will fan films reach their still-untapped potential.
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 08:10 PM   #73
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

"The Price of Anything" is a step in the right direction, but the audio recording of the actors is still sometimes iffy and the plotting isn't very tight.

It's pretty much a fact that the biggest problems in most fanfilms can be traced directly to the script.

None of which is to say the TTI script contributed to the delays on its completion. The fact that the edits started deviating from the script created problems which accumulated and made it difficult to pull Act 4 together in a satisfying way. I understand why all these decisions were made, but making said decisions on an act by act basis instead of keeping an eye on how they would affect the entire show was possibly shortsighted.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; May 7 2014 at 10:49 AM.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 08:48 PM   #74
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Very good technical review, nice to see the details spelled out for those of us who really don't know how things should be done.

Last edited by DCR; May 7 2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Issue resolved
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 10:42 PM   #75
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
"The Price of Anything" is a step in the right direction, but the audio recording of the actors is still sometimes iffy and the plotting isn't very tight.

It's pretty much a fact that the biggest problems in most fanfilms can be traced directly to the script.

None of which is to say the TTI script contributed to the delays on its completion. The fact that the edits started deviating from the script created problems which accumulated and made it difficult to pull Act 4 together in a satisfying way. I understand why all these decisions were made, but making said decisions on an act by act basis instead of keeping an eye on how they would affect the entire show was shortsighted.
In a full-scale professional production who would be most responsible for keeping that from happening? In hindsight, could it have been prevented or was it just something that was unique to this production?
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote