Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 4 2014, 04:59 AM   #136
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: A TOS resurgence?

albion432 wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The question of Star Trek's popularity during its initial NBC run is no longer open to debate.
You're right, it isn't: the show wasn't popular. Cushman's "facts" are highly dubious.
Really!? I've enjoyed his first two book greatly. If you care to enlighten me, I would be interested in hearing more about the dubiousness of his "facts". I have found a few questionable facts in those books as well . . .
There are entire threads on the subject.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 05:10 AM   #137
albion432
Lieutenant

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
You're right, it isn't: the show wasn't popular. Cushman's "facts" are highly dubious.
Really!? I've enjoyed his first two books greatly. If you care to enlighten me, I would be interested in hearing more about the dubiousness of his "facts". I have found a few questionable facts in those books as well . . .
There are entire threads on the subject.
Oh, ok, thanks, I will look for it . . .
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:26 PM   #138
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Okay, I rephrase that: How likely is such a scene?

Bob
The same as any other. It wasn't likely for TOS, until it was. ( As you pointed out)
I think there is still a difference. TOS established that Spock had an interest in various forms of music (obviously including a piano) and we'd seen some protagonists dancing ("The Squire of Gothos"), so essentially TOS told us that some "classic" forms of entertainment will still be cherished in the 23rd (and 24th Century).

Given the context of the new movies and since playing music or dancing don't exactly qualify as spectacle, I don't think we are going to see something like that in one of the upcoming movies.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:34 PM   #139
Warped9
Admiral

^^ I think the distinction between then and now is the mindset and experience brought to the writing and overall creative process. I agree it's a scene you could have seen in TNG, but highly unlikely to occur in something like JJtrek. Medium is significant, too. As long as Trek is done as feature film you will not likely get thoughtful, smaller scale stories as you would on television. The expectations of those footing the bill and the objectives of those producing are quite different.

And it's gotten worse. Although I greatly dislike the JJ films their financial success pretty much guarantees that any successive film treatments will follow the same model of going for a splashy, action laden and dumbed down approach with a pervasive adolescent mindset rather than an adult one. This is why I firmly believe for Star Trek to ever regain any of its previous glory it has to get back to television where it has the freedom to tell the variety of stories it was meant for.
Old May 5 2014, 01:45 PM   #140
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I think there is still a difference. TOS established that Spock had an interest in various forms of music (obviously including a piano) and we'd seen some protagonists dancing ("The Squire of Gothos"), so essentially TOS told us that some "classic" forms of entertainment will still be cherished in the 23rd (and 24th Century).

Given the context of the new movies and since playing music or dancing don't exactly qualify as spectacle, I don't think we are going to see something like that in one of the upcoming movies.

Bob
OTOH, I don't recall one live musical interlude in Roddenberry's Star Trek: The Motion Picture, even though we did have an android woman.

OTOH, can I picture such a scene in Lost or Person of Interest (television shows)? ABSOLUTELY.
Old May 5 2014, 11:21 PM   #141
publiusr
Commodore

I also was born in Sept 1966. TOS is a favorite for me, but the refit era is always modern Trek in my mind somehow. The TOS cast thrust into danger.

TOS could be a bit creepy at times, but post ALIEN, post Empire Strikes Back--space became dangerous. The slasher films of the 1980s--it all made TOS innocent, and I like to see the TOS cast navigate this dangerous new world.

In my own little alternate universe, the Refit era continued, we had a Star Trek/Star Wars cross-over around 1986--a little playing around with that.

An asteroid strike demands an increase in real space spending, and we see Starfleet academy, and Enterprise around 1987.

Instead of JJ, Star Trek the Next Generation starts in 2009, and we see Probert and Sternbach just starting out, the TNG cast somehow the 1987 age but in 2009-- and Enterprise D hits the screen but with modern effects. The wonder of Avatar blends into TNG--as it deserved to.

That is how Trek should have went.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:37 AM   #142
Dukhat
Commodore

Bob
So...did the TOS films have any of that either? No, they didn't. So it really has nothing to do with the Abrams movies, it has to do with what the script writers for any feature films can convey in a two-hour period of time.

Now if there was a TV series based on nuTrek, there's no reason whatsoever that Spock couldn't have similar characteristics as the Spock from TOS, since his character would be written by television scriptwriters on a weekly basis, not movie scriptwriters for one film. But that would be up to whoever is writing his character.

Remember, none of these people are real. Their actions are completely at the whims of whoever is penning the story for that episode. Remember Scotty in "Lights of Zetar?" Up to that point (and then everything after that point), one would assume based on what they know of the character that Scotty would never fall in puppy-dog "wuv" with some woman he just met and barely knows. And yet that's exactly what happened in that episode. And then by the next, she's out of sight, out of mind with the next episode writer.

Last edited by Dukhat; May 6 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 08:24 PM   #143
EEE
Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Every one of them was Emmy-worthy.

Conspiracy theories, anyone?
Well, Nimoy was nominated for Star Trek three years straight. Didn't win, though.
As if a satanic-looking Martian baby doctor ever had a chance at an Emmy. *Harumpf!*
EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 02:12 PM   #144
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Up to that point (and then everything after that point), one would assume based on what they know of the character that Scotty would never fall in puppy-dog "wuv" with some woman he just met and barely knows.
Unless you've seen Who Mourns for Adonais.