Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 4 2014, 09:50 AM   #5296
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Peter David Brought Uncle Ben back for a while almost 10 years ago.

It was a mirror universe Ben that fell through a crack and eventually decided that every one was better off without him, and wandered off.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:48 PM   #5297
Mr Light
Admiral

<<that hobbit fucking fame whore rapper>>

this reference eludes me, I'm afraid...

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 01:40 PM   #5298
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

In regards to bringing characters back to life, even the movies follow suit. Loki, Fury, Bucky (although based on the comics), and especially Coulson all supposedly "died".
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 02:12 PM   #5299
Christopher
Writer

^Well, those first two were faked deaths resolved within the same stories where they happened, which isn't the same as a later story resurrecting a character who died in an earlier one. It's like comparing Kirk's "death" in "The Enterprise Incident" to Spock's in The Wrath of Khan.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:25 PM   #5300
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, Bucky and Coulson were the only ones legitimately brought back from the death. Bucky, of course, to follow the comics. I think Coulson is a tribute to this tendency in the comics. But, at the same time, I do think the Marvel Universe wants some bight to death. I don't think most characters will be resurrected. I think the rule is death is "usually" permanent.
Old May 4 2014, 05:33 PM   #5301
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I think Coulson is a tribute to this tendency in the comics.
It's a tribute to Clark Gregg's popularity. Remember, the audience that reads the comics is in the tens of thousands at best, while the audience that watches the movies is in the tens of millions. The movies and shows may crib ideas freely from the comics, but ultimately the decisions they're making are driven by the needs of the onscreen productions. Gregg was a breakout star of the MCU and they spun him off to a series-regular role, as has been done with other popular supporting characters in other franchises -- Rhoda, Lou Grant, Gomer Pyle, Chief O'Brien, Rodney McKay, Captain Jack Harkness, etc.

And yes, they had to bring him back to life to do it, but resurrecting dead characters due to their popularity is another trope that transcends comics (e.g. Angel and Darla on Buffy -- with the spinoff trope coming into play there too).

But, at the same time, I do think the Marvel Universe wants some bight to death. I don't think most characters will be resurrected. I think the rule is death is "usually" permanent.
If you mean the Cinematic Universe, I hope you're right. Where the comics universe is concerned, though, that ship's long since sailed. Character death has become merely a headline-grabbing gimmick that only sticks for a year or two before its inevitable reversal.

Old May 4 2014, 06:51 PM   #5302
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
<<that hobbit fucking fame whore rapper>>

this reference eludes me, I'm afraid...
There was an episode of Southpark recently where everytime that Kanye West would attempt to explain that his wife was not a Hobbit, he would have to stop, reach for his cellphone, and ask Kim Kardashian to assure him that she is not a hobbit.

The Aquaman thing is from a couple years ago.

Q: Do you like Fishsticks?

A: Then you are a gay fish.

Old May 4 2014, 10:13 PM   #5303
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Been doing a gradual re-watch and just finished the episode in which Skye got shot. Ward's "I'm not blaming myself" moment puzzled me when I first saw the episode, because it wasn't clear who he was blaming. The best guess at the time was Coulson, but I don't think it was explicitly stated on the show. Now we know that he would have been blaming Garrett at that moment.
Old May 4 2014, 11:41 PM   #5304
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Speaking of foreshadowing. Anyone remember when Garrett first turned up how he listed all of the people under his command that "the Clairvoyant" had crossed off? In hindsight it's clear that he was pruning SHIELD agents to get Hydra loyalists into position...that's pretty damn cold. Ruthless seems poor and inadequate a term.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:51 AM   #5305
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm getting to that one next....
Old May 5 2014, 03:28 AM   #5306
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

That was addressed in "Turn, Turn, Turn". Coulson says something like, "Those men under you command, I guess they asked the wrong questions."
Old May 5 2014, 09:30 AM   #5307
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Peter David Brought Uncle Ben back for a while almost 10 years ago.

It was a mirror universe Ben that fell through a crack and eventually decided that every one was better off without him, and wandered off.
An alternate universe isn't the same thing. Eventually, Uncle Ben will be brought back as a cyborg Mafia hit man and will take over for Peter as Spider-Man permanently for a year, then have his own best-selling book called Uncle Sniper, then will be an obscure recurring character who is trotted out from time to time as a reminder of the depths to which the House of No Artistic Integrity will sink.
Old May 5 2014, 09:40 AM   #5308
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Peter sold his soul to Mephisto (not really, but it's the memories that the Illuminati plugged into his mind when they changed the physical and mental landscape of the northern Hemisphere with magic and science.) and it's nice that that act did stop Aunt may from being shot, but if he was going to bargain with the devil, and the price was his constant and undying love which he always felt for his wife, if I must be absolutely accurate, but what about all the other people that have died all he way back to Uncle Ben?

(Jean DeWolf was so hot in that little beret.)

Old May 5 2014, 01:08 PM   #5309
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's Marvel. The only person who stays dead is Uncle Ben. Heck, the comics' Peter Parker just spent the past two years dead (for tax purposes) and was recently brought back in time for the new Spidey movie.
And thank God that ridiculous, asinine, annoying, stupid, (adjective, adjective, adjective) storyline is over! I've been reading Spidey since the 60s and this is the first time I considered dropping it. I read Spidey 'cause I like Peter Parker, not Otto Fucking Octavious'.

(Sorry, had to get that off my chest).
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 02:05 PM   #5310
Christopher
Writer

^If you could endure the Clone Saga, Maximum Carnage, and One More Day, you can pretty much survive anything. That's the thing about ongoing series like this: No matter how much you may hate a given storyline, it too will pass.