RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,232
Posts: 5,438,518
Members: 24,957
Currently online: 649
Newest member: zanejc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 3 2014, 02:02 AM   #121
Vger23
Lieutenant
 
Location: New England
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Vger23 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Ouch...



Khan's blood?

Just to add my 0.02 $ here, but the latest product of a franchise mustn't necessary constitute "evolution" and "growth" in a postive sense.

This probably applied for NEM or the Star Wars prequels. I don't think either two added to the popularity of the franchises in a positive manner. In the case of Star Wars it's mostly the imaginative storytelling of the Clone Wars CGI animated series, that undoes some of the prequel damage, IMHO.

Bob
But that's solely your opinion based on your tastes and values. Who are you to judge whether something has advanced in a positive manner or not?
We are the ones who buy the tickets and watch the series, and that's what makes us the ones to judge. You might as well dismiss any criticism as entirely subjective and unworthy of consideration. This viewpoint, invoked by those who simply want to ignore inherent worth in evaluating nuTrek, results in nothing being good, and nothing being bad---a position hardly reflective of consensus reality, even when people can't reach consensus. One thing that most people do have consensus on is that there is good, and there is bad--and we are as fit to judge good and bad as many movie critics. More fit, because it's unlikely that any given movie critic is as steeped in the background material as we are.

Therefore this constant refrain of "that's your opinion," without any real answer to the opinion (because, as I think those who say/write that know, the opinion can't be cogently countered, and thus can only be dismissed in this airy fashion without real thought) is conveniently but unwarrantedly and nonsubstantively dismissive. As I wrote above, I think it's far more reasonable to dismiss as meaningless, divorced-from-reality speculation any opinions on alternate futures, ie, "Trek would be dead without Abrams." How can anyone know that? But we can know our own minds about Trek entries that exist in the present.
Yes, "we" are the ones that buy tickets. And, based on the ticket sales of the last two films, it seems "we" have spoken.

Again, there's no point in arguing. You've made up your mind and no amount of counter-points can ever change that. No amount of logic will change it.

And, it's not dismissive to say "that's only your opinion" when the only support you have to your argument is...well...YOUR OPINION. when you dismiss the only objective and relevant measures in the movie industry...what's left? Oh, yes, your opinion. Because the only measurable facts all indicate success and quality. Again, that doesn't mean you need to accept or buy into that that, but it DOES mean that you have been reduced to nothing more (and nothing less) than a man with an opinion.

Thanks for the discussion, but it's become redundant and pointless.
__________________
I am KEEROCK!!
Vger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:18 AM   #122
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

My concern with him is that we'd get a lot of TNG/Berman-era continuity porn in any ST series produced by him. Plus, it opens up the possibility, however remote, of Brannon Braga slithering back into the ST fold in some capacity. I'll pass.
If I see the name 'Brannon Braga' associated with a new show in anyway, I'm out.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:27 AM   #123
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: A TOS resurgence?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

My concern with him is that we'd get a lot of TNG/Berman-era continuity porn in any ST series produced by him. Plus, it opens up the possibility, however remote, of Brannon Braga slithering back into the ST fold in some capacity. I'll pass.
If I see the name 'Brannon Braga' associated with a new show in anyway, I'm out.
I do have to give Braga props, though, for coining the term "continuity porn."
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:36 PM   #124
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
they gave Star Wars to JJ Abams , too. Is seems fans' opinions are irrelevant. But, I wonder who the so-called "general audiences" are. I dnt knw anyone.
The people who buy movie tickets and watch TV shows.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 08:19 PM   #125
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: A TOS resurgence?

albion432 wrote: View Post
The question of Star Trek's popularity during its initial NBC run is no longer open to debate. Marc Cushman's excellent three part book series, These Are The Voyages, (each book covers one season) has released the Nielsen rating for the entire TOS series to the public for the first time ever. The author had to pay a leasing fee in order to obtain the publishing rights to these ratings. What they reveal is that Star Trek consistently placed 1st or 2nd in it's time slot for at least the first two seasons (book three of These Are The Voyages has not yet been released). Also, Star Trek placed very well overall when ranked with all network shows airing at the time. In fact, when Star Trek premiered almost 47% of all televisions in America tuned in to see what all the hype was about. That was the highest rated episode of all, but once the rating leveled off, the show still did very well. Star Trek's poor ratings has been proven to be a myth.
Cushman cherry picks his data and fundamentally misunderstands several things about the business of television to reach this conclusion. If it makes you feel better about being a Star Trek fan, more power to you, but that doesn't mean his conclusions about the ratings have a bit of merit.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:04 PM   #126
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Vger23 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
This probably applied for NEM or the Star Wars prequels. I don't think either two added to the popularity of the franchises in a positive manner. In the case of Star Wars it's mostly the imaginative storytelling of the Clone Wars CGI animated series, that undoes some of the prequel damage, IMHO.
But that's solely your opinion based on your tastes and values. Who are you to judge whether something has advanced in a positive manner or not?
Well, I followed the pricing for various Star Wars collectibles following the prequels and didn't notice a significant increase but rather a decrease. That should qualify as an objective indicator, IMHO.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:11 PM   #127
AtoZ
Commander
 
AtoZ's Avatar
 
Re: A TOS resurgence?

RAMA wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ You are really stretching it. Abrams didn't save anything because a healthy interest still existed. Those films brought added interest, but that's it.
It saved the franchise as a whole because the last 2 movies made a combined $170 million at the WW box office, and JJs movies made $850 million. See how that works?

Curious. It saved the franchise as a whole? Reading your words drives home the point that TOS makes the studio money. THAT's why they got a brilliantine like JJ to helm THE Star Trek....the one that started it all.

In turn it brought in fans in droves, made a fortune and while doing so brought us back into the original ballpark - the one devoid of jumpsuits, a single man at the main helm/navigation console, endless ready room monologues and smug deliveries meant to underline "higher society".

For my money, the storytelling in TOS is of a richer, grander variety, without the sudden weak endings we became accustomed to in the late 80's and 90's. Sure, knock the ham-fisted approach Kirk and crew often seemed to have....but they didn't make my ears bleed or continuously resort to techno-babble to connect the dots. TOS was flawed in all of the right places. It was/is entertainment....and I dare submit it has held up better than those....all of those shows....that came after it.

THAT's why the bean counters at the studio decided to use TOS. Because it was the superior vehicle...and the profit seekers knew it would draw in the money that the others could not.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:17 PM   #128
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Last night I watched "Requiem for Methuselah" and was somewhat intrigued by the scene where Spock sits at the piano playing a waltz from Brahms while Kirk and Rayna were dancing to it. It's a very beautiful scene and unlike most of what we had seen in previous TOS episodes.

I then just wondered if such a scene were possible in one of the new movies. Apparently I lack the imagination to visualize that.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:24 PM   #129
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Last night I watched "Requiem for Methuselah" and was somewhat intrigued by the scene where Spock sits at the piano playing a waltz from Brahms while Kirk and Rayna were dancing to it. It's a very beautiful scene and unlike most of what we had seen in previous TOS episodes.

I then just wondered if such a scene were possible in one of the new movies. Apparently I lack the imagination to visualize that.

Bob
Of course it's possible.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:39 PM   #130
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Okay, I rephrase that: How likely is such a scene?

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 10:41 PM   #131
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Okay, I rephrase that: How likely is such a scene?

Bob
The same as any other. It wasn't likely for TOS, until it was. ( As you pointed out)
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:35 AM   #132
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: A TOS resurgence?

albion432 wrote: View Post
The question of Star Trek's popularity during its initial NBC run is no longer open to debate.
You're right, it isn't: the show wasn't popular. Cushman's "facts" are highly dubious.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:21 AM   #133
Dennis
The Man
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: A TOS resurgence?

What I love about the "commercial success isn't the most important measure of a film's success" crowd is that they rarely have anything to offer as an alternative other than "my taste is better grounded than your taste" - and, especially among fans of skiffy movies, that's a non-starter where any detachment (much less chimerical "objectivity") is concerned.
__________________
"You know you're old when you go back in time and you're still old." - William Shatner

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:27 AM   #134
albion432
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
albion432 wrote: View Post
The question of Star Trek's popularity during its initial NBC run is no longer open to debate.
You're right, it isn't: the show wasn't popular. Cushman's "facts" are highly dubious.
Really!? I've enjoyed his first two book greatly. If you care to enlighten me, I would be interested in hearing more about the dubiousness of his "facts". I have found a few questionable facts in those books as well . . .
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 04:11 AM   #135
BigSnake
Rear Admiral
 
BigSnake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Wow, it seems to really frustrate some people that they can't make other people like things by telling them a lot of other people liked that thing. It's almost like there could be some kind of fallacy inherent in their approach that they don't recognize.

And of course there's no other yardstick to a measure a film by other than box office! That's why nobody ever heard of box office flops like The Big Lebowski, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption or The Wizard of Oz. It all makes sense. (At least, though, we can take comfort in the cultural legacy of well-regarded and totally-remembered classics like The Golden Child, Congo and Eraser, which thanks to their box office success now form cultural touchstones for entire nations and religious traditions.)
__________________
Weasels rip BigJake's flesh!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.