Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 3 2014, 09:01 PM   #5281
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
DEWLine wrote: View Post
Assuming that they don't want him to make a Flowers for Algernon/Charly-style exit at the end of this TV series, of course.
Coulson debuted with the first entry in the MCU, Iron Man and has been with it every since. I doubt that they would do that to the character.
My understanding is that Coulson's death was intended to be "for real" in The Avengers, and that his resurrection didn't come about until they were developing the TV show. If Marvel was willing to kill him, why wouldn't they be willing to leave him a vegetable?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:02 PM   #5282
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Conceptually he did exist at the time of the movie - they used him in the tie-in videogame. (Which is obviously not canon, but it at least had Marvel's blessing at the time.)
Tell that to one of my fellow admins at the MCU wiki. He insists that the game is canon until contradicted. "But we saw Baron Strucker in CA:TWS" says I. "He could have used the Satan Claw to stay young." says he. Personally, I think he's stretching more than Reed Richards, but he's higher up the admin ladder than I am, so what are you gonna do?
Old May 3 2014, 09:07 PM   #5283
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Personally, I think he's stretching more than Reed Richards, but he's higher up the admin ladder than I am, so what are you gonna do?
Just wait for Age of Ultron, then prepare to either laugh maniacally or eat crow.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old May 3 2014, 10:19 PM   #5284
Christopher
Writer

My understanding is that Coulson's death was intended to be "for real" in The Avengers, and that his resurrection didn't come about until they were developing the TV show. If Marvel was willing to kill him, why wouldn't they be willing to leave him a vegetable?
It's Marvel. The only person who stays dead is Uncle Ben. Heck, the comics' Peter Parker just spent the past two years dead (for tax purposes) and was recently brought back in time for the new Spidey movie. And now they've announced an event called The Death of Wolverine (they removed his healing factor a while back to set it up), but it's a cinch it won't be any more permanent than his previous three or four deaths.

So while Coulson's death was intended to carry impact for the movie, I doubt that Feige and the rest ever intended to leave him dead forever. They knew how popular the character was, after all. Heck, I still suspect that the reason they killed him off in the movies was to leave him free to move to TV without affecting the movie continuity.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 11:13 PM   #5285
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Conceptually he did exist at the time of the movie - they used him in the tie-in videogame. (Which is obviously not canon, but it at least had Marvel's blessing at the time.)
Tell that to one of my fellow admins at the MCU wiki. He insists that the game is canon until contradicted. "But we saw Baron Strucker in CA:TWS" says I. "He could have used the Satan Claw to stay young." says he. Personally, I think he's stretching more than Reed Richards, but he's higher up the admin ladder than I am, so what are you gonna do?
Bone his old lady?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 11:39 PM   #5286
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

It was my understanding that Marvel forced the death of Coulson, but Whedon jumped at the opportunity to revive him when the show was being developed (see http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...ers-character/)

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 11:43 PM   #5287
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's Marvel. The only person who stays dead is Uncle Ben.
So while Coulson's death was intended to carry impact for the movie, I doubt that Feige and the rest ever intended to leave him dead forever. They knew how popular the character was, after all. Heck, I still suspect that the reason they killed him off in the movies was to leave him free to move to TV without affecting the movie continuity.
The comics are also set on a sliding timescale; while (so far) the movies have taken place more-or-less in real-time. I suppose it's possible that Kevin Feige, et al. were planning on reviving Coulson (in general terms, if they didn't have specifics plotted). But so far the movies aren't hewing to other stylistic elements of the comics; I see no reason to assume they were planning on using that one. (Especially when they're only making 2 movies per year instead of dozens of comics each month - they have plenty of other ground to cover in that limited time.)

Old May 3 2014, 11:44 PM   #5288
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I'm still not used to these all caps, periods-in-between acronyms. So a little practice might help.

It appears C.O.U.L.S.O.N. was initially the head of Project T.A.H.I.T.I.

S.K.Y.E. couldn't let W.A.R.D. die because if she did, she would be no better than him.

W.A.R.D. is loyal to G.A.R.R.E.T.T. , who is a H.Y.D.R.A. agent, but his loyalty appears to be more of a personal rather than an organizational allegiance.

Agent T.R.I.P.P.L.E.T.T. doesn't appear to be a member of H.Y.D.R.A. as he continues to be supportive of the team.

I wonder what's in store for R A.I.N.A., a.k.a. "F.L.O.W.E.R.S."
Old May 4 2014, 12:54 AM   #5289
Christopher
Writer

But so far the movies aren't hewing to other stylistic elements of the comics; I see no reason to assume they were planning on using that one. (Especially when they're only making 2 movies per year instead of dozens of comics each month - they have plenty of other ground to cover in that limited time.)
I joked about Marvel, but get-out-of-death-free cards are a trope of series fiction in general, going as far back as Sherlock Holmes. Popular characters get killed off because it draws attention and ratings, but then they often tend to get resurrected for the exact same reason.

I'm not saying that the filmmakers specifically planned to resurrect Coulson. I'm saying that just because a fictional character gets killed, that doesn't mean the storytellers have definitively closed the door on the character. Death is a story device like any other. It serves a purpose for the story being told here and now, and thus doesn't necessarily reflect any plans for future stories.

Old May 4 2014, 02:06 AM   #5290
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
DEWLine wrote: View Post
So...odds of Coulson being the first successful test subject?

(Assuming that they don't want him to make a Flowers for Algernon/Charly-style exit at the end of this TV series, of course.)

If he is, that makes him not just a "liability" to use Hill's word, it makes him a Highly Desirable Commodity.
Coulson debuted with the first entry in the MCU, Iron Man and has been with it every since. I doubt that they would do that to the character.
Plus he's a character that was popular enough to be added to the comics, Marvel's current animated projects, and their new Lego stuff.

So odds are Coulson is sticking around.

It's Marvel. The only person who stays dead is Uncle Ben. Heck, the comics' Peter Parker just spent the past two years dead (for tax purposes) and was recently brought back in time for the new Spidey movie. And now they've announced an event called The Death of Wolverine (they removed his healing factor a while back to set it up), but it's a cinch it won't be any more permanent than his previous three or four deaths.
Though I think the upcoming Death of Nick Fury might be permanent since they already introduced Nick Fury, Jr. who is based on the Sam Jackson version of Fury.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 02:56 AM   #5291
Christopher
Writer

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Though I think the upcoming Death of Nick Fury might be permanent since they already introduced Nick Fury, Jr. who is based on the Sam Jackson version of Fury.
If so, it'll be permanent in the only way anything is permanent in comics: It'll last for maybe 20 years until the generation that grew up with the old character is writing and editing the comics and decides to bring him back out of nostalgia.

Old May 4 2014, 04:10 AM   #5292
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
If so, it'll be permanent in the only way anything is permanent in comics: It'll last for maybe 20 years until the generation that grew up with the old character is writing and editing the comics and decides to bring him back out of nostalgia.
Except that generation has likely come and gone considering we are talking about the white version of Nick Fury here in 20 years it will likely be the people who grew up with Nick Fury being black running things considering The Sam Jackson version or ones based on him for at least the last 6 years in just about everything short of the comics.

Besides regular Nick Fury and Jackson Nick Fury is a change in skin color and the regular version fighting in World War II, so it would be a rather pointless change.

Last edited by Hartzilla2007; May 4 2014 at 04:21 AM.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 04:50 AM   #5293
Christopher
Writer

You'd be surprised. There have been so many changes in comics that seemed at the time like they would and should be permanent, but then nostalgia has taken root and forced things back to the old status quo whether it was a good idea or not. It's one of the perennial problems with superhero comics in recent decades, the undoing of past progress. Resurrecting Barry Allen was arguably pointless, given how deeply important his death was to shaping the DC Universe for decades thereafter, but they did it anyway.

So yeah, I think they'll probably keep the modern, SLJ-style Nick Fury, since he's established as a movie character and the comics tend to follow the lead of their mass-media adaptations a lot of the time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the "classic" Fury alongside him, rather than replacing him.

Old May 4 2014, 08:15 AM   #5294
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My hindbrain tells me that Iris West is black in the upcoming Flash TV Series... Considering how slowly TV is made, is Black Wally West that just showed up in the comics a product of that TV show that hasn't aired yet? Similar to how Black Aqualad turned up in the comics a year before the Young Justice Cartoon premiered... Although that series has been cancelled, and the DCU has been rebooted since then, so it's a roll of the dice if Kaldurr or Garth is going to be Aqualad in the new 52.

(Please don't tell me this has something to do with that hobbit fucking fame whore rapper.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 09:42 AM   #5295
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Between my gobble gobble, I claimed this happened during a "Flashback" set near the conception of Xavier's dipshit son. Which was closer to World War 2 than the founding of the X-Men, but I didn't exaggerate how Marvel-Time is on a sliding scale, since most of the teenagers in the X-Men books have been teenagers for the last 30 years and brave Marvel keeps pace with real time in the real world, by pulling all the X-kids' birthdays consistently forward.
Ah, Marvel Time. Got it.

It's Marvel. The only person who stays dead is Uncle Ben.
Don't bet on it. That's what they used to say about Bucky.