Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 25 2014, 03:59 PM   #31
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Question about uniform changes

^

It was consistent with the Jack Crusher hologram message to Wesley from TNG 'Family'.
Old March 25 2014, 05:48 PM   #32
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

It was consistent with the Jack Crusher hologram message to Wesley from TNG 'Family'.
"Yesterday's Enterprise" predated "Family."
Old March 25 2014, 06:16 PM   #33
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

'kay. I was thinkin' they were both fourth season and didn't look it up.

My mistake.
Old March 26 2014, 11:43 AM   #34
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but until "Generations," I don't recall ever seeing any non-DS9 guest star in the DS9 uniform.
THIS was very, very close.
Old March 26 2014, 05:00 PM   #35
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

From a production point of view, the DS9 uniforms were created to give the show a distinctive look different from TNG. I think the original intention was that the DS9 uniforms were meant as a utility uniform, something officers would wear in a more 'gritty' environment.

The reason VOY inherited the DS9 style uniform instead of the TNG was a cost saving measure. The TNG uniforms were getting worn out, so rather then creating new ones, they could 'split' the uniform costs between both shows.

When DS9 switched to the First Contact style uniforms, VOY inherited all the DS9 uniforms. I also believe that the costs to make the new style uniforms for the DS9 cast, was absorbed into the FC budget rather than DS9's budget.

One piece of Trivia: Star Trek Generations was supposed to debut a new Starfleet Uniform but apparently they looked bad on screen so they switched back to the TV uniform. However, Jonathan Frakes DS9 uniform was actually Avery Brook's and Levar Burton's was Colm Meaney's. Only Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner got custom designed DS9 uniforms.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 07:24 PM   #36
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but until "Generations," I don't recall ever seeing any non-DS9 guest star in the DS9 uniform.
THIS was very, very close.
Yeah, that was the cadet uniform. The first time I saw a publicity shot of the DS9 cast I kept wondering why they were wearing cadet uniforms.
Old March 26 2014, 08:42 PM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral

The idea was originally conceived as starship crews wore the TNG uniform and starbase crews wore the DS9 one. Of course, after DS9 started we never saw any starbase personnel on TNG, although whenever we saw starship personnel in DS9's first few seasons they did wear the TNG uniforms.

As I understand it, the original plan with the new uniforms that were designed for Generations was that they would continue the ship/base divide and those uniforms would then be used on Voyager. But of course, those were ditched at the last minute and due to a desire to make Generations look different than TNG, they wore the DS9 uniforms. But then, budget constraints meant they literally had to wear the same costumes used on DS9 and there weren't some to fit some of the actors, resulting in the weird mix we saw in the movie. Voyager likely went with the DS9 uniforms because someone high up felt its cast looked better wearing those than the TNG uniforms.
Old March 27 2014, 11:07 AM   #38
Lance
Commodore

While I wasn't crazy about the uniform change to the FC gray tops, it did allow for a really great WTF! moment, when we find out Bashir has been replaced by a Changeling and the real Bashir is still wearing the old uniform.
Yeah, I absolutely loved that little touch.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 11:45 AM   #39
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Changeling Bashir has an interesting line to Sisko in the first appearance of the grey uniforms:
Does my uniform look bright to you?
In the context of the episode it makes sense (Sisko's vision has been affected) but I found it weird because the new uniforms were more monochrome than anything before!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 04:15 PM   #40
varek
Commander

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

Chief O'Brien wore the TNG style when he returned to the Enterprise-D in 'Emissary', as well.

Though ya gotta wonder why he would beam out from a docked ship...

As for the uniform changes...durin' TNG, the first/second season style uniforms were still in use durin' the third & fourth seasons 'til the new version became the standard for everyone.

The same may be true for the DS9 style - it was added to the uniform options and was slowly phased in as the standard over time. It would easily explain why both styles were used in GEN, and why VOY had it, while Sisko used it when he returned to Earth.
Do personnel on docked ships wear Docker's?

Humans have told me that black is a slimming color, so I wear black jumpsuits during my off-duty times!
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 08:42 PM   #41
publiusr
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
At the beginning of DS9, it was clearly the destinction between starship and starbase personnel.

That is how it should have stayed.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 07:46 PM   #42
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

publiusr wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
At the beginning of DS9, it was clearly the destinction between starship and starbase personnel.

That is how it should have stayed.
Don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere that they had screen tested some of the Voyager cast in the TNG and DS9 uniforms and decided the DS9 Uniforms looked better on the cast.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:20 PM   #43
drmick
Lieutenant

Has there ever been a leak online of the proposed new Starfleet uniform for Generations?

In the UK scifi mag SFX, in 1996 there was a big preview of First Contact, before any footage or images had been released. They described the proposed new uniforms as being departmental colour under garment with polo neck, black shoulders and a grey body. So effectively the First Contact uniforms, but the with the black and the grey swapped.

When pictures of the uniforms finally got released, I had always assumed the writer just made a mistake. But on reading this thread, I never knew they had plans for a Generations uniform until today.

Is it possible that they did try a grey body, black shoulders and department polo neck? They definitely did grey bodies before for all three of the cadet uniforms shown (TNG, DS9 and VOY), so somebody in the production side liked the concept.
drmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Lance
Commodore

drmick wrote: View Post
Has there ever been a leak online of the proposed new Starfleet uniform for Generations?

In the UK scifi mag SFX, in 1996 there was a big preview of First Contact, before any footage or images had been released. They described the proposed new uniforms as being departmental colour under garment with polo neck, black shoulders and a grey body. So effectively the First Contact uniforms, but the with the black and the grey swapped.

When pictures of the uniforms finally got released, I had always assumed the writer just made a mistake. But on reading this thread, I never knew they had plans for a Generations uniform until today.

Is it possible that they did try a grey body, black shoulders and department polo neck? They definitely did grey bodies before for all three of the cadet uniforms shown (TNG, DS9 and VOY), so somebody in the production side liked the concept.
Start here, and work your way down:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=243004

As the image in the link shows, the toy manufacturers of the Generations tie-in figures were never told that the unused uniforms had been dropped, so an entire wave of the toys was released with the crew wearing uniforms we never actually seen on screen.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:06 AM   #45
drmick
Lieutenant

Found a few threads using google.

Those are not a massive deviation from the TNG era uniforms. Maybe it was simply an error after all.
drmick is offline   Reply With Quote