TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3 2014, 07:31 PM   #31
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

I don't see what the problem was with Harry not being the Goblin long enough.

I mean, Harvey Dent wasn't Two-Face for much of "Dark Knight", no one complained. Emil Blonsky wasn't Abomination for much of The Incredible Hulk, no one complained. Obadiah Stane was only Iron Monger for a small bit of Iron Man 1 and no one complained.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:57 PM   #32
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Anwar wrote: View Post
I don't see what the problem was with Harry not being the Goblin long enough.

I mean, Harvey Dent wasn't Two-Face for much of "Dark Knight", no one complained. Emil Blonsky wasn't Abomination for much of The Incredible Hulk, no one complained. Obadiah Stane was only Iron Monger for a small bit of Iron Man 1 and no one complained.
Harry was Green Goblin for all of... three minutes? He literally showed up right after Spider-Man and Gwen defeated Electro (how convinent) and then stayed around long enough to do you-know-what to Gwen. Then he was knocked out and that was it.

At least The Dark Knight had a few scenes of Harvey Dent as Two-Face and Dent becoming Two-Face was a big part of that story and the emotional climax. Emil Blonsky transformed into The Abomination for the climax of the film, which lasted more than two or three minutes. The same with Obadiah Stane - we at least got a decent confrontation between Stane as Iron Monger and Iron Man.

Green Goblin's role in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 felt very much like Whiplash's role in the finale for Iron Man 2 - he showed up and was defeated in about a minute. Wow, that was impressive!
Old May 3 2014, 08:10 PM   #33
Aldo
Admiral

I didn't have a problem with the Goblin's lack of screentime only because I thought when he became Goblin he was so much fun I let it slide.

And that's the big difference between your opinion and mine's Dan: I loved the villain's in this film, cheesy lines and all But hey, you knew that already didn't you :P
Old May 3 2014, 08:11 PM   #34
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Spider-Man 3 got better reviews than this. I hated that one so what will I think of this one?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 08:39 PM   #35
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Spider-Man 3's problem was that they didn't bother thinking of a plot wherein all the villains were intertwined by something. It came off as three different stories all happening at the same time, instead of one story.

AM2 did the reasonable thing and used OsCorp as the thread that tied all the villains together.

Plus, Harry and Electro had better reasons for teaming up than Venom and Sandman did.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:05 PM   #36
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
In another thread comparing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man I said there was no contest. ASM wins. I said the real contest would be between SM2 and ASM2. I've seen ASM2. Again, no contest. ASM2 by a country mile.

Andrew Garfield as Spidey is the best casting choice since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He owns this role!
The Raimi and Webb films both have their flaws (cheesy villains, paper-thin plots), but ultimately I think I have to side with the Raimi films. Despite their issues, they were just a LOT more light and fun, and Raimi had a sense of comic timing that was so much better and sharper than what Webb has demonstrated so far (where despite some good delivery from Garfield, a lot of the humor continues to fall flat). And that to me makes all the difference.
My metric for judging a movie like this is simpler: Did the filmmakers bring what I saw in the comics to life on the big screen? By that standard, for all the things Raimi might have gotten right, Webb has been better and more consistent in creating the type of Spider-Man film I want to see. And, sorry, but Garfield's portrayal of Spider-Man makes these films more "light and fun" than any of the previous trilogy, flat jokes and all.

For that matter, Raimi also did a lot of the heroic moments a lot better as well (Spidey catching a car in mid air with his webs, Spidey holding up the wall to protect MJ, Spidey attempting to stop the train...). Spidey has done some cool stuff in the Webb movies as well, but somehow little of it has really made me want to stand up and cheer.
Well I can't help you there because I thought that entire opening chase scene was cheerworthy, especially as it started with SM falling fifty stories into the first swing. And I'll take Spidey defending a smart kid against bullies over him mooning over Kirsten Dunst any day.

And for all the complaints about Tobey, Garfield's Peter does just as much crying and moping around in these movies. But Tobey was also so loveably geeky as Peter that I found it a lot easier to root for him in the end.
And again, that's not my problem with Maguire. Peter Parker has always been an angsty character, so both actors have that part right. What Garfield does better is portray Peter after he puts on the mask and lets himself go and feel more comfortable in his own skin. Maguire never did that convincingly.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 10:28 PM   #37
Aldo
Admiral

I'm with you Admiral2, the whole opening sequence was (pardon the pun) Amazing! OK, so it wasn't technically the opening sequence, but it sure got the movie off to the right start. And with seeing it in IMAX 3D, there was at least one moment where I felt like Spider-Man, and got that sensation of falling.

Also, when the two planes nearly collided did anyone else flinch at that moment? As if the planes were coming towards you? I would have chalked it up to me just being silly, but one of the guys I went to the movies with flinched at that same moment too.
Old May 3 2014, 11:04 PM   #38
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I saw this film yesterday. I thought it was better than the first Amazing, but still not up there with Raimi's first two Spider-Man films. I also thought this film wasn't as good as Captain America, but it was a good time at the movies for the most part.

It started off on the wrong foot for me. During the airplane sequence-which had enough action and suspense in it I suppose-I was wanting them to start the film with Spider-Man getting into the action. I was glad when they got to that. The action was well done for the most part throughout the film. I also liked the new suit, even though I liked the one from the first Amazing as well. It had one of the worst Stan Lee cameos.

The highlight of these films is the Gwen-Peter relationship. Emma Stone comes across as very likeable and she lights up the screen. I thought Andrew Garfield was better as Peter this time than he was in Amazing I. He wasn't as annoying in and out of the suit as he was in that movie. With Aunt May, I think she still needs work. She wasn't as dithering as she was in the first movie, and I was glad they found a little more for her to do and say. It seems like if Peter's parents could afford a private plane and a hidden train lab that they could've left more money for Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

The villains I had mixed feelings about. I think Jamie Foxx overplayed Dillon's nerdiness. It came off like a stereotypical depiction of a nerd and I wish he had played Dillon more straight, as just an average Joe that was stepped on and overlooked and eventually snapped. I liked him better as Electro though his reasons or rationale for hating Spider-Man could've been better worked out. And just where did Electro get his supervillain suit? I thought the special effects for Electro were pretty well done.

I didn't care for the look of the Green Goblin. I liked the suit and glider, but it made little sense how after the transformation that he crawled over to the Goblin suit and glider and then learned how to operate it so quickly. As Harry I thought DeHaan did okay, but wished there had been more time spent on developing his friendship with Peter. He definitely had a strong reason to hate Spider-Man though. Where the Raimi films showed their superiority-again-over this new franchise is that they developed the friendship first so the eventual misunderstandings, betrayals, conflict, and reunion all had more of an emotional impact.

I liked the suit for Rhino. I am iffy on Giamatti's performance. One review I read said that Dr. Kafka was hammy. I could go with that. And Smythe was barely in it.

If the film goes Sinister Six next time I'm assuming Doc Ock, Vulture, and maybe Rhino will be in it. Here's hoping for Scorpion too.

My rankings of the Spider-films:

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:01 AM   #39
Tain
Ensign

mock if you must but I choked up during the last scene
Tain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:11 AM   #40
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I posted a few thoughts in the other thread, but one thing I left out was a part of the movie my friend and I couldn't help but laugh at.
When Peter tells Gwen he's been following and spying on her, and basically her reaction is to fall in love with him again.... erm yeah, I think if in real life you tell your ex you've been following her you'll likely get is a slap, maybe told to fuck off, and possibly a restraining order put out on you

Ah, Hollywood

If I were to rank the movies I'd say...
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Amazing Spider-Man 2
3. Amazing Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man
5. Spider-Man 3

(although I haven't seen ASM1 since it came out so I could do with watching it again)
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:22 AM   #41
Killer Frost
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
I posted a few thoughts in the other thread, but one thing I left out was a part of the movie my friend and I couldn't help but laugh at.
When Peter tells Gwen *he's been following and spying on her*, and basically her reaction is to fall in love with him again.... erm yeah, I think if in real life you tell your ex you've been following her you'll likely get is a slap, maybe told to fuck off, and possibly a restraining order put out on you

Ah, Hollywood

If I were to rank the movies I'd say...
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Amazing Spider-Man 2
3. Amazing Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man
5. Spider-Man 3

(although I haven't seen ASM1 since it came out so I could do with watching it again)
Superman Returns!
Killer Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 04:09 AM   #42
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I'll write up a more comprehensive review tomorrow, but I just got back a little while ago from seeing it with friends in IMAX 3D. I enjoyed it, I think some of the negative reviews it's getting are a little harsh. This movie is not without flaws but it's certainly not the worst of this genre. Good performances from all of the actors and some not totally unexpected plot developments for this franchise. One corny moment that sticks out in my mind right now, on part with the cranes lining up to help Spidey in the previous movie, is the thunderous applause by the ATC personnel when the plain crash was avoided. It struck as just a bit over-the-top and, really, that whole sequence wasn't needed.
Old May 4 2014, 04:14 AM   #43
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Plus, Harry and Electro had better reasons for teaming up than Venom and Sandman did.
Wasn't "Get Spider-Man" pretty much it?
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 05:11 AM   #44
Cato
Lieutenant Commander

I saw this movie last night. I gave it an A. It's not the same as the other Marvel movies that exist in the same universe, but you can tell that they stepped up thier game possibly to compete. It's a real shame that Spidey can't be a part of the Avengers, I think he would fit in well. I doubt he would take orders well and would probably make fun of Stark or maybe Cap. He'd probably admire the Hulk, because, you really don't want to piss him off. I thought the action sequences were absolutely awesome. This reboot feels more like pages of a comic book coming to life, especially Gwen's death. I've never really been a big fan of Electro, but he was alright. I like Harry Osbourne in this, but Defoe is a better Goblin. It will definitely be interesting to see where everything goes next. This movie was not better than Captain America, but certainly better than the first movie. What little complaints I have are not really worth mentioning.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 05:38 AM   #45
Casas9425
Lieutenant

I liked the movie although it definitely did have some flaws. The main thing that sticks out at me is how much better Garfield is in the role than Maguire. Tobey Maguire always had the presence and charisma of a jellyfish, IMO. Emma Stone also wipes the floor with the awful Kirsten Dunst who looked like she was coked up half the time in the Raimi films.
Casas9425 is offline   Reply With Quote