RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,117
Posts: 5,433,036
Members: 24,933
Currently online: 684
Newest member: karanfree

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 3 2014, 12:46 PM   #31
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: strange radio bursts detected

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I wonder why the WOW! signal was never truly classified by scientists as our first contact by extraterrestrials?

It clearly wasn't from a natural source according to most journals I've read on the subject.
Because we don't know if there are extraterrestrials (close enough to send that signal). The WOW signal in itself is not significant evidence that there are aliens (it can be explained by natural phenomena – even if it would be difficult, aliens are still more extraordinary at this point). OTOH, if there are aliens that close, it is more likely to have come from them than from natural sources, as it does resemble what an artificial signal would look like just like you say. So the only thing the WOW signal does is refute the argument "If there are aliens, why we haven't heard from them yet?", but that argument was falacious to begin with, so the WOW signal doesn't change much there either.

It's creepy in a way. If we have alien neighbours having powerful radio transmitters, it is close to certain that we have received a signal from them. Yet we are no closer to knowing if we actually have such neighbours, or if such species exist anywhere in the galaxy, and even in the universe. (I'm personally sceptical about aliens in our neighbourhood, but I am positive about aliens in our galaxy, and somewhat close to certain about aliens in the universe – though in the last case we'd never hear from them.)
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)

Last edited by YellowSubmarine; May 3 2014 at 12:58 PM.
YellowSubmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 01:04 PM   #32
varek
Commander
 
varek's Avatar
 
Location: Danville, IN, USA
Re: strange radio bursts detected

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
I wonder why the WOW! signal was never truly classified by scientists as our first contact by extraterrestrials?

It clearly wasn't from a natural source according to most journals I've read on the subject.
Because we don't know if there are extraterrestrials (close enough to send that signal). The WOW signal in itself is not significant evidence that there are aliens (it can be explained by natural phenomena – even if it would be difficult, aliens are still more extraordinary at this point). OTOH, if there are aliens that close, it is more likely to have come from them than from natural sources, as it does resemble what an artificial signal would look like just like you say. So the only thing the WOW signal does is refute the argument "If there are aliens, why we haven't heard from them yet?", but that argument was falacious to begin with, so the WOW signal doesn't change much there either.

It's creepy in a way. If we have alien neighbours having powerful radio transmitters, it is close to certain that we have received a signal from them. Yet we are no closer to knowing if we actually have such neighbours, or if such species exist anywhere in the galaxy, and even in the universe. (I'm personally sceptical about aliens in our neighbourhood, but I am positive about aliens in our galaxy, and somewhat close to certain about aliens in the universe – though in the last case we'd never hear from them.)
Good points. The evidence is not conclusive, either way, so it is difficult to form an intelligent opinion.
__________________
Varek, Vulcan Engineer
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Time, like latinum, is a limited commodity.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 01:22 PM   #33
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: strange radio bursts detected

To paraphrase Zane Ziminski, "What if they were transmitting their encyclopedia galactica?!"
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 01:28 PM   #34
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: strange radio bursts detected

The message being 'This Content Not Available In Your Area'
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 06:09 PM   #35
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: strange radio bursts detected

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Unless these radio bursts are deciphered to be threats from an alien race headed our way, I don't think we need to worry about it.
I wonder why the WOW! signal was never truly classified by scientists as our first contact by extraterrestrials?

It clearly wasn't from a natural source according to most journals I've read on the subject.
The universe has lots of tricks to play.

Pulsars were thought to be little green men at first. So help me, there will probably be a new type of stellar collapse discovered that perfectly mimics the opening of an "I Love Lucy" episode re-broadcast.

Now if the WOW signal was really from ET, we probably only heard it as it was being lensed as Earth passed through the focal line left by a star that boosted its strength.

So if it was ET, you might have to send a radio telecope to that position in space Earth way, or at least look for any object that lensed the signal--and anything behind it as the original source.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:37 PM   #36
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: strange radio bursts detected

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The message being 'This Content Not Available In Your Area'
Breaking News: The subspace burst detected by radio telescopes on May 1 has been decoded. It says "Damn you, Comedy Central, damn you! Expect a fleet of warbirds at your location!" There was nothing new about the Malaysian missing plane in it.
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)
YellowSubmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.