RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 481
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,
Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever. 38 40.86%
Excellent 38 40.86%
Good 15 16.13%
Average 2 2.15%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3 2014, 03:38 AM   #46
Dennis
Commodore

Re: Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Well, Azato had filed the report about Director Scott Cummin's - I mean, the nameless redshirt's death in the corridor earlier. The report at the end was for the three folks who we saw killed. Honestly, I have no idea what happened to the transporter operators.

There was a lot of CG used in this show for the outer space stuff - the Exeter, the Tholian and Tressaurian ships, the BMFM (the giant Tholian device) - only one or two partial physical models in one or two shots (the crashed Kongo saucer, though surrounded by a matte painting, was a model). Models were used for a couple of interior sets - corridors, the main Engineering deck. Most sets were full-size.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:38 AM   #47
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

That was awesome. Several of my friends commented at the same time that whatever limitations of not being high definition video, the production has just incredible sound.

Maybe somebody could include a cliff notes version of the 140+ page "whatever happened to Starship Exeter" thread to explain the delays in completing the episode.
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 10:24 AM   #48
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

What th--?! Exeter is finished? I can't believe it. Time to start checking Amazon for The Last Dangerous Visions, I guess.

Congratulations to all concerned. I can't wait to see the final act, which will probably, hopefully, be tomorrow. I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic conclusion to a fantastic show.
Old May 3 2014, 02:14 PM   #49
infullview
Ensign

RCAM wrote: View Post
I didn't care for the voice-over at the end. I assume this was done for pacing and to reflect a "life still goes on in her absence" or "showing us the ship is still standing thanks to her sacrifice" sentiment. I would have preferred to stick with Garrovick for the duration of the recording, perhaps in a static shot. But that's just personal preference, I guess.
I disagree. I think the intent was to summarize a theme that both Both Richards and Garrovick were cut from the same cloth. To me, the voice-over signalled Garrovicks' admiration. Their roles had been reversed.
infullview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 03:57 PM   #50
Dennis
Commodore

I was inspired by the image of Kirk's loneliness as he walked the corridors of the Enterprise at the end of "Balance of Terror."

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 05:33 PM   #51
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I liked the voiceover, and I think it suited the character and the tone of the thing. That said, I'd personally have preferred a more melancholic tone for the last few lines. But that's entirely a matter of taste, and not a criticism of the choice that was made.
Old May 3 2014, 08:50 PM   #52
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

infullview wrote: View Post
RCAM wrote: View Post
I didn't care for the voice-over at the end. I assume this was done for pacing and to reflect a "life still goes on in her absence" or "showing us the ship is still standing thanks to her sacrifice" sentiment. I would have preferred to stick with Garrovick for the duration of the recording, perhaps in a static shot. But that's just personal preference, I guess.
I disagree. I think the intent was to summarize a theme that both Both Richards and Garrovick were cut from the same cloth. To me, the voice-over signalled Garrovicks' admiration. Their roles had been reversed.
That's an interesting thought. My preference remains the same, but if I watch it again, I'll have your interpretation on my mind.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 09:37 PM   #53
Maurice
Vice Admiral

It would have been impossible to end the "letter" scene on Garrovick because the final lines were added as a "button" only about two months ago, so there's no footage of Jimm saying them.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 06:29 PM   #54
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Very well done, folks.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 06:57 PM   #55
FredCFO
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to FredCFO

There was some humor added to Act IV. Pause on the briefing room table monitor just before Garrovick dictates his letter. The casualty list and the death certificate have a few gags. There -- no spoilers I hope.

(I may have missed it, but I did not see anyone else mention this yet.)

Nice touch...especially considering "the agony and the esctasy" of finishing the episode. Thanks.
FredCFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 07:45 PM   #56
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

FredCFO wrote: View Post
There was some humor added to Act IV. Pause on the briefing room table monitor just before Garrovick dictates his letter. The casualty list and the death certificate have a few gags. There -- no spoilers I hope.

(I may have missed it, but I did not see anyone else mention this yet.)

Nice touch...especially considering "the agony and the esctasy" of finishing the episode. Thanks.
I mentioned it very obliquely. You really have to see it to appreciate it.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 07:46 PM   #57
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

Christ Bailey that was awesome
Beautiful story which after years unwrapped itself in act four like a fine wine
Shit I want more
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 09:30 PM   #58
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
It would have been impossible to end the "letter" scene on Garrovick because the final lines were added as a "button" only about two months ago, so there's no footage of Jimm saying them.
Ahhh... thanks for that tidbit. It would've been somewhat unsatisfying to end the monologue so early, meaning the voice-over was a necessary evil.

It does make more sense now that Garrovick flips the switch as if he's done talking, only for the monologue to continue (he thought he was done 10 years ago, but turns out he had more to say!).

That's one of the reasons the fan film community is nice. You have the filmmakers around to give you such information. Thanks to all the Exeter folks for taking the time.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 10:37 PM   #59
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I saw it yesterday, and was impressed.

I voted 'Good' but it could probably be 'Excellent' too. My major gripe is, as a guy who looks to act and direct in his own feature films someday, that Garrovick tends to 'go big' and animated during voice overs....but remain somewhat emotionless in his general delivery. Like a poster earlier brought out, it was a bit inconsistent.

With that said, I stayed with the episode till the end.

*SPOILERS*
As a fan of Officer Vandi Richards, I thought she was going to actually come back. For example, when she was clawed by the Tressaurian, I assumed that she was going to get patched up and be back on duty. However, fate had her become a sacrifice....in order to save the ship.

It was an interesting turn of events having her be a wet-behind-the-ears officer, or at least an officer who had a 'romantic' view of space exploration. As was brought out by Garrovick, sometimes what is thought of as heroic is just a person trying to survive.

Richards gets more kudos as well by being an individual who could fend off a Tressaurian, where trained security guards could not.

Sidenote: I can't find the post, but whoever 'posted' the story where the TOS crew meet the actors (i.e. Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly)...thank you! I was impressed with that Jean Lorrah short as well. It didn't pad along, and was very clever...

One little nitpick is that the story would obviously be fully understood by those familiar with classic Trek. For example, the 'Gene' is very possibly referencing Gene Coon, where many casual fans may automatically think it is Roddenberry.

But, I digress. It was a fun story.

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; May 4 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 10:15 AM   #60
lurok
Commodore

Only seen a couple of fanfilms (OGAM, the two STC, SV and one of the early Phase II), but this was without a doubt best scripted and structured. Some stand-out shots: the crashed Kongo saucer, and 'black hole' sequence worthy of TV series. I just wished I liked Garrovick more. Harris and Cutty fine; I even quite liked the oddball Andorian.