RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 533
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2 2014, 09:42 PM   #16
MNM
Captain

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

I t hought it was an awesome film. Better than the last. One of the best Marvel character films I have seen.

I saw it at an IMAX as well, first time I had been to one of them, and it just added to the whole experience.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:46 PM   #17
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I loved this movie. Peter and Gwen were adorable and hearbreaking all at the same time. Much like the first film, the two of them together was, hands down, the best part of the film. The action was much improved on this go around and it warmed my heart to see Spider-Man work his butt off to save people. The world-building around the upcoming Sinister Six movie fell flat and Harry Osborn was boring, but both were easily ignored.

I don't think that I've felt a comic-book movie death as keenly as Gwen's. The way she hit and bounced just as Spidey's web reached her was just so awful. Since their relationship and interplay was so critical to this film, I'm not super impressed with the prospects of Spider-Man 3 without Gwen.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Spoilers ahead...

Looked like the web caught her just before she hit the ground and she broke her neck.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 10:14 PM   #19
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Spoilers ahead...

Looked like the web caught her just before she hit the ground and she broke her neck.
Spolilers continue below:

The above moment mirrors the early 1970s comic extremely closely. The title of said comic was a total giveaway of the outcome, so Marvel kept it for the very end. Like Elektra's death in the ''Daredevil'' comic, the moment was too major to alter by much. For those who read the original, hearing Gwen at graduation, plus her Oxford plans later on, confirmed her toast-status. Spidey in Britain is an offbeat idea, but I had a hunch it was not to be.

When Garfield screamed his head off in a recent trailer, it also pretty much indicated Gwen or Aunt May was doomed. So why wasn't the scream in the film? Editing issues or not, if your traditional plot-and-scene trailer includes critical segments not in the film, I consider it fraud. It's been happening for at least four decades, but fraud's fraud.

And the ending Marvel plug clunkily shoved into the middle of the end credits was not only completedly not Spidey-relevant, but more abrupt and awkward than previous ones....possibly because it wasn't even a Columbia pictures film they were plugging. Chance are most theatres showing TASM2 already played the better, longer trailer for it anyhow two-and-a-half hours before. It was blatantly shoved in. Now back to the real movie.
Old May 2 2014, 10:16 PM   #20
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Spoilers ahead...

It looked to me like the web caught her but because it had some give, she hit the ground with full force and then bounced back up. Brutal.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 12:27 AM   #21
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

In another thread comparing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man I said there was no contest. ASM wins. I said the real contest would be between SM2 and ASM2. I've seen ASM2. Again, no contest. ASM2 by a country mile.

Andrew Garfield as Spidey is the best casting choice since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He owns this role!

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:00 AM   #22
billcosby
Commodore

^ I think Toby Maguire was completely miscast as Spidey in the previous trilogy. Absolutely brutal films to endure. Looking forward to this one. Thanks for the impressions!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:05 AM   #23
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Going off the animated The Spectacular Spider-Man I think Thomas Dekker would have been great. As far as Toby & Garfield. Meh.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 03:50 AM   #24
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I ended up enjoying it although it was a long and inconsistent voyage to get there. Dana DeHaan was awesome as Harry...I don't think I've ever seen him give a bad performance.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 05:38 AM   #25
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The movie is extremely cluttered, rather like Iron Man 2 in its attempts to serve various different corporate purposes, though it's better than Iron Man 2 because the central emotional arc of Peter and Gwen is well-done, and the film has a strong finale.

The plot and the villains, on the other hand, are extremely scattershot. Electro is basically Jim Carrey's Riddler (as noted by Drew McWeeny at Hitfix), by way of Doctor Manhattan. Harry's whole story feels rather rushed (particularly as he acts like he's going to drop dead at any moment when his father lived to be like three times his current age), and the structure of the climax, with him arriving after Electro, feels tacked on. That said, Gwen's death and its aftermath is well-done.

The single-biggest problem is the Richard Parker backstory. Why did anybody think this was a mystery worth dragging out over two films? The "revelation", such as it was, is totally meaningless to the story apart from a I guess a bit of trivia about why the spider-venom only works on Peter, but that really didn't need a whole subplot to explain it. The whole thing could be excised without impacting anything else in the movie. Though I'm glad they at least avoided the idea that Peter was "destined to be Spider-Man" or whatever.

Also, the ending hints at how future Spider-Man villains will be handled: as mooks for OsCorp. It's far from unheard of for OsCorp (or a similar company) to be used as a linking point -- it was in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, for instance -- and for some villains (like Rhino, in this film, or Shocker) that sort of origin works. But the end of this film suggests that Doctor Octopus and the Vulture are also going to be created this way, which is a terrible idea, as those characters actually have somewhat meaningful origins of their own (especially Otto).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:59 AM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Thought it was actually... not that bad. Yeah the villains were pretty generic and unmemorable, and I still couldn't care less about Peter's parents, but Spidey looked really cool doing his thing, and the Peter/Gwen scenes were so damn charming, that it made up for quite a lot of other problems.

And while it wasn't the most gripping story, I still thought it held together and flowed a lot better than critics are giving it credit for (although it definitely could have been about 20 minutes shorter).

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
In another thread comparing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man I said there was no contest. ASM wins. I said the real contest would be between SM2 and ASM2. I've seen ASM2. Again, no contest. ASM2 by a country mile.

Andrew Garfield as Spidey is the best casting choice since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He owns this role!
The Raimi and Webb films both have their flaws (cheesy villains, paper-thin plots), but ultimately I think I have to side with the Raimi films. Despite their issues, they were just a LOT more light and fun, and Raimi had a sense of comic timing that was so much better and sharper than what Webb has demonstrated so far (where despite some good delivery from Garfield, a lot of the humor continues to fall flat). And that to me makes all the difference.

For that matter, Raimi also did a lot of the heroic moments a lot better as well (Spidey catching a car in mid air with his webs, Spidey holding up the wall to protect MJ, Spidey attempting to stop the train...). Spidey has done some cool stuff in the Webb movies as well, but somehow little of it has really made me want to stand up and cheer.

And for all the complaints about Tobey, Garfield's Peter does just as much crying and moping around in these movies. But Tobey was also so loveably geeky as Peter that I found it a lot easier to root for him in the end.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 10:23 AM   #27
MNM
Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The movie is extremely cluttered
Personally I thought Spider-Man 3 was cluttered, this one, whilst having the same amount of villains, felt much less cluttered for some reason.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 11:22 AM   #28
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I found the interaction between Garfield and Stone to be uncomfortable at times. The whole "well you can't have a pretty wee nose and you can't have deep soulful eyes" scene was cringe inducing. That's just how I saw it at the time - though I see I'm in the minority.

The film's saving grace, honestly, was Gwen's fate. By that stage I felt her and Peter had gotten away with too much without consequence.
Old May 3 2014, 02:05 PM   #29
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think I'd probably go with the Raimi films too as they are a lot more fun. Though I like how Garfield's Spider-Man actually cracks jokes when he's in costume although I agree a lot of them fell flat.

Here's hoping Felicia is the next film's love interest. It would be something different and Peter can use all the help he can get. It's unlikely they'll be getting Shailene Wooley back as MJ and they are going to need a hell of an actress to pull of MJ after Emma Stone's Gwen. I think audiences might end up resenting Mary Jane. Stone's Gwen completely blew Dunst's Mary Jane away.

Despite the rush nature (something the recent Spider-Man films have had trouble with) I enjoyed the Peter and Harry friendship.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 04:31 PM   #30
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a really frustrating movie because all of the Peter Parker/Spider-Man moments are all fantastic. As a Spider-Man fan, it was great to see Spider-Man move like he does in the comics, to have the sense of comic timing and wit like he does in the comics, etc. I would agree with those that say this movie nails Spider-Man like no other movie does. That's honestly very true. The moments when Spider-Man is swinging around New York were phenomenal and truly captured the essence of Spider-Man.

However, with that said, whenever the film dovetails into the villains... it becomes truly awful. Like Joel Schumacher/Batman Forever bad. Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan are absolutely wasted as Electro and Green Goblin. Foxx's whole "No one notices me" shtick was just handled so poorly - it reminded me of Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever and that's not even remotely a good thing. What's worse is that even when he becomes Electro he's a very cool villain in a visual sense but adds very little to the story. I get what they were trying to do with the under appreciated angle but it was very thinly written and made Electro come off to be a very underwhelming villain. As for Harry Osborn/Green Goblin, while I liked DeHaan in parts he was completely over-the-top in others. It was a very uneven performance and what's worse he only becomes the Green Goblin for like three minutes and he's obviously there as a plot device to do-you-know-what. The same can be said for Paul Giamatti as Rhino - he's absolutely wasted here. I am assuming he's coming back for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 or The Sinister Six but the previews basically just spoiled his entire screen-time in the film. Good job, marketing campaign.

The whole Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy stuff is really good as well. Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone still have remarkable chemistry which made the ending that much more tragic... even though Gwen's fate was telegraphed so damn badly from the very beginning, down to Gwen's expository "immortal" valedictorian speech to Captain Stacy constantly appearing and driving the point home that something bad is probably going to happen. Gwen's fate would probably have been more tragic/dramatic if the writers didn't basically hint at that almost constantly throughout the movie. I will say, though, that the stuff with Peter's parents was well done. The moment where Peter learns about his father, Richard Parker, was handled well if a bit on-the-nose and expository. However, I was glad Webb and the writers expounded upon this because I felt it was something seriously lacking in the previous movie. It's not like the movie is a total mess - Webb manages to deliver some great moments but doesn't know how to string them together to tell a cohesive story.

Beyond that, the movie is visually gorgeous. The action is spectacular and it's all pretty to look at. Marc Webb nails the Spider-Man parts but doesn't understand how to structure a story or script - although I guess you could blame the writers, Orci & Kurtzman, for that. In some cases it is better than The Amazing Spider-Man but others it is on par if not worse. I'm not sure what bothered me more, though - the overabundance of characters or how they are so obviously trying to set up more films such as The Sinister Six that it genuinely takes away from this film's story. It felt like in some areas like I was watching a preview for The Sinister Six in the same way I felt like I was watching a preview for The Avengers while I was watching Iron Man 2. This is why I am worried for Zack Snyder's Batman/Superman movie.

All in all, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is enjoyable but very forgettable and entertaining on a surface level... but that's it. It was like Marc Webb listened to the complaints that the last movie was too serious & dour and tried to lighten things up for this one... but instead of trying to make it more of a comic-book movie, he made it outright cartoon-ish. To me that makes me think Webb doesn't quite understand what makes a good comic-book movie work (not all comic-book movies need to be dark & serious like The Dark Knight or light & fluffy like the Fantastic Four movies - the Marvel Studios movies have nailed the approach perfectly). Oh, well. This doesn't really instill me with any hope for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 although The Sinister Six could be interesting if anything because Drew Goddard is a great writer/director.