Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 2 2014, 02:05 AM   #16
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: strange radio bursts detected

HIjol wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Our obedience as their slaves. But any genuine messages from another civilization could be hundreds or thousands of years old.
Something that frustrates me immensely. For all we know, a civilization a few hundred light years away sees us, and has sent us a message, and even as it travels here, we continue to search through the skies, hoping to find that sign; that one signal that opens the door to amazing discovery, only for that origination source to have dried up; fallen to famine, disease, or war, with no more outward signs of life to give us hope.

Yeah, I got a bit poetic at the end, but it really does frustrate me that we're limited to the speed of light in signal transmissions.
...hear you, J...but, what with the advances in partical, theoretical, quantum and astro physics, we can hope for some breakthroughs...all due respect to the Laws now, but someone once said laws were made to be broken (or bent a little)...c'mon warp drive and subspace... (the mouth on this icon is saying "c'mon")
I remember when that smiley was first introduced, and I told everyone it looked like it was saying "I'm a boy! I'm a boy!"

Still does. Also, you can't unsee it now.

Anyway, as far as we know, right now, light speed is the universal speed limit. I mean, in terms of planetary signals, the [i]Mu Aquilae system is just now getting new episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.

It's odd to say it, but light speed's too slow.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 04:59 AM   #17
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

^^...damn, Admiral! (With all due respect)...it IS saying "I'm a boy"...well, like you said...there is no going back on that...

...funny how that statement "light speed is too slow" is becoming more true...maybe the UC is really a DL (Divine Limitor) to say, "...hold up there, Human Race...not so fast..."

...I still hold out hope...Carl Sagan made my brain tickle with possibilities...what a loss...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 05:04 AM   #18
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

^^...damn, Admiral! (With all due respect)...it IS saying "I'm a boy"...well, like you said...there is no going back on that...
I also like to show Santa's obituary to children**.

...funny how that statement "light speed is too slow" is becoming more true...maybe the UC is really a DL (Divine Limitor) to say, "...hold up there, Human Race...not so fast..."

...I still hold out hope...Carl Sagan made my brain tickle with possibilities...what a loss...
While I wouldn't agree on any divine limiter, I also hold out hope that we see real evidence of an alien civilization in our lifetimes, at least in mine. I'm not sure if you're older or younger, so I'll assume younger, and just say that before I go, I want to know that we are truly not alone in the universe.

Then I want someone to say, "Oh, wait, Mr. Allen, we've cured death! Here, I've added it to this strawberry daiquiri, so drink up!"

Mmm... delicious life.

What were we talking about again?

**Not really.

Old May 2 2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I also like to show Santa's obituary to children**.

While I wouldn't agree on any divine limiter, I also hold out hope that we see real evidence of an alien civilization in our lifetimes, at least in mine. I'm not sure if you're older or younger, so I'll assume younger, and just say that before I go, I want to know that we are truly not alone in the universe.

Then I want someone to say, "Oh, wait, Mr. Allen, we've cured death! Here, I've added it to this strawberry daiquiri, so drink up!"

Mmm... delicious life.

What were we talking about again?

**Not really.
Sipping on a Bloody Mary as we "speak"...and we were speaking of hopes and dreams...

I am 57 in two days, and still hold out hope...remembering David Morse channelling Carl Sagan in "Contact" when he says, "...seems like an awful waste of space..."

...man, how I hope we are not alone...in my heart of hearts, I do not I believe we are...

"...Oh, wait, Mr. Allen, we've cured death! Here, I've added it to this strawberry daiquiri, so drink up!"

...would that it were true, my Friend...would that it were true...

"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old May 2 2014, 07:46 AM   #20
Santa Claus
Believe

So we'll agree that you're older by a number of years, but it's good to see that hope is the same. May it come to pass.

Old May 2 2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

...wonder what we could offer them...???
Our obedience as their slaves.
I for one welcome our new alien overlords.
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:06 AM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It could just be burps from some long-ago dead star that took billions of years to get here. There's so many natural celestial objects out there, including pulses from newly-formed black holes, pulsars, etc., that could emit signals (or a series of signals) from countless light-years away. If there was a regular-occurring pattern that could be measured over a length of time...
Old May 2 2014, 10:19 AM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Alien signals would be the last thing I would attribute these radio bursts to. SETI, in fact, is entirely based on theories revolving around wishful thinking. It's no wonder they haven't detected aliens after yay, these many years. I've always suspected that the odds of Human-like awareness and intelligence are so impossibly against it occuring that it would take an entire universe to arrive at one instance of it. Despite Man's best efforts to force life on earth into extinction, this planet still has plenty of strange and amazing creatures! Maybe we should try reaching out to them, instead ...
Old May 2 2014, 03:11 PM   #24
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Unless these radio bursts are deciphered to be threats from an alien race headed our way, I don't think we need to worry about it.
I wonder why the WOW! signal was never truly classified by scientists as our first contact by extraterrestrials?

It clearly wasn't from a natural source according to most journals I've read on the subject.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Metryq
Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I wonder why the WOW! signal was never truly classified by scientists as our first contact by extraterrestrials?
Gee, possibly because this 72-second signal was extremely ambiguous and never repeated? Basing conclusions on very tenuous data is not science. At best, this is a curiosity to be filed away if-and-until some other observation dovetails with it to warrant re-examination.

How was the alleged 2.2 gigawatt power of the signal figured? By distance? What if the distance estimate is wrong? And just because terrestrial transmitters are "forbidden" from using the received frequency does not completely rule out terrestrial origin. (No human would ever break a law.)

No, this "observation" is too sketchy to be awarding it the honor of "first contact."
Old May 2 2014, 07:27 PM   #26
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
...wonder what we could offer them...???
I am curious, T'Girl...may I ask why you welcome the AO?
Old May 3 2014, 03:09 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It's a joke from The Simpsons'.
Old May 3 2014, 03:50 AM   #28
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's a joke from The Simpsons'.
Ah...thank you, Bill...I have never actually seen that show...
Old May 3 2014, 04:27 AM   #29
scotthm
Rear Admiral

If there really are technologically advanced extraterrestrials, why would you assume that was our first contact?

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

scotthm wrote: View Post
If there really are technologically advanced extraterrestrials, why would you assume that was our first contact?
<goosebumps>...cue Holst, "The Planets"...well-posited, Admiral Scott...well posited...