Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 26 2014, 05:14 AM   #1
jmampilly
Lieutenant Commander

Your ideal New Trek Series

Hi guys,
I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?
jmampilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Your ideal New Trek Series

Howdy, jmampilly.

You should check out the Future of Trek sub-forum here at the site, where there are lots of threads kicking around ideas for things.

http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old April 26 2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

jmampilly wrote: View Post
Hi guys,
I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?
I think more like Star Trek The Next Generation. The ratings were best for TNG than the other series.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

People on a spaceship doing stuff in outer space.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 06:13 PM   #5
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

ENT was a missed oppertunity, the decision to make the captain a innocent stumbling fool was a mistake. A few of the character were fine in isolation, but the crew never "meshed."

While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 06:27 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

My ideal series would be one involving a 25th- or 26th-Century Enterprise.
Old April 26 2014, 06:44 PM   #7
varek
Commander

I wonder if they could develop a concept like the BBC's Playhouse, where potential pilots were shown as single episodes. The one with the highest ratings could then become a new series.

A series about the crew of a newer ship, like the Aventine and Captain Ezri Dax, would be good, and so would a series about Klingon and/or Cardassian mercenaries, I think.

(The Titan books have good adventures, but some of its more-exotic crewmembers might be difficult to depict on the small screen.)
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 08:56 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The problem I have with a series set in the 25th and 26th centuries is the technology would be getting too magical, or you would have to cook up a reason that technological advancement largely stopped in the 24th century. Some kind of general societal fall like a Federation civil war would be one possible explanation.

A Titan series would be a nice possibility, we would have Riker and Troi to anchor it to previous Trek and then new characters we've never seen before to move the show forward. At this point recasting Riker and Troi would basically be a given.

The show could start immediately following the events of Nemesis, or pick up months/years after Riker takes command.

varek wrote: View Post
The Titan books have good adventures, but some of its more-exotic crewmembers might be difficult to depict on the small screen.
The Titan TV series wouldn't have to have any connection to the books, the ship and characters would be fresh creations.

Last edited by T'Girl; April 27 2014 at 10:16 AM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 09:54 AM   #9
maneth
Captain

An animated Titan series starring the voices of Frakes and Sirtis would be wonderful... But the animation would have to be very good, on a par with Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Transformers Prime. But an animated show would avoid any potential problems with more exotic crewmembers.
Old April 27 2014, 04:17 PM   #10
BK613
Captain

Ideally, strip it down to the studs, to use a home improvement metaphor, eliminating any of the cold war relics and outdated science/tech ideas but keep the intrepid explorers navigating an extraordinary universe.
Old April 27 2014, 04:33 PM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I would place it early 25th century and make it a show with TNG's idealism and sense of exploration but contrasted against the realpolitik of DS9.

I agree there is the risk of technology getting too magical and too plot breaking, but to be blunt, the implications of their technologies have never stopped the writers before from just doing the story they wanted to do. And there's nothing at all stopping them from throwing out everything Voyager and Enterprise established about the 27th through 31st centuries.

Why not have warp technology advance to the point they can reach other galaxies in say, a few months travel, and send a small fleet of ships alone to explore and engage diplomacy in the Andromeda galaxy. Close enough to get home whenever they want, but not so close to get reinforcements in a dangerous situation.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

There are many different things I'd like to see on the next series. One thing I think would be good to see would be a TOS-era series, but had nothing to do with the Enterprise or her crew--something like a Miranda-Class ship with a far more diverse crew, perhaps even an alien Captain.
Old April 27 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Procutus
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

This. I've long wanted to see either a series set mid-way between ENT and TOS, in the first few years of the 23rd century, or a show centered around the actual launch of the Enterprise, with Captain April at the helm. If you go by the dates set in the old ST Chronology, this would be 2245, twenty years ahead of TOS, allowing it to look both familiar and different at the same time.

Never happen, I know, but I still think there's a lot of interesting gaps to fill in between the two existing shows.

Old April 27 2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Morag
Cadet

I would be really interested in a series which focused on the Events after Voyager but not Centered around the Voyager Crew.

I'd love to see A federation "Colonization Fleet" Embark on a journey back into the delta quadrant to colonize space there and to set up trade and diplomacy with the Delta Quadrant species such as the Talaxians ( possibly involving Ambassador Neelix )
Of course they would of had to discover a worm hole like In DS9 or some way to get out there and back easily.

The plot could develop so that They accidentally peeve off some alien race who the federation accidentally colonized in their space which could lead to a war themed story arc. Also along with perhaps an more un-wanted business expansion of the Ferengi Alliance sparking tensions between world over lucrative opportunities.
Morag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Moving to the "Future of Trek" forum...