The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 30 2014, 01:41 AM   #136
Gloomy Giver
Rear Admiral

Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

Isn't his Girlfriend 1/2 Black 1/2 Mexican?, what a fucking hypocrite.

The sad part is he'll make money when they force him to sell.
Old April 30 2014, 01:44 AM   #137
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Captrek wrote: View Post
Would you feel differently if the leaked comments had been made to a professional confidant (doctor, lawyer, priest, etc.), or should public figures watch what they say to them too?
1) Maybe; 2) Yes.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:21 AM   #138
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Would you feel differently if the leaked comments had been made to a professional confidant (doctor, lawyer, priest, etc.), or should public figures watch what they say to them too?
1) Maybe; 2) Yes.
Would you support fining someone $2.5 million over comments made to a therapist?
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:57 AM   #139
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

They can sue the person who revealed those confidences, but, unless they invent a machine that can cause everyone to forget what they said, I don't think it's reasonable to pretend he didn't say it. At the minimum, it's a PR nightmare. More accurately, though, he's a reprehensible human being.

How about the NBA fine him and ban him from games for his going around and evicting tenants who were black or Hispanic? Would that solve your complaint?
Old April 30 2014, 03:48 AM   #140
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
They can sue the person who revealed those confidences, but, unless they invent a machine that can cause everyone to forget what they said, I don't think it's reasonable to pretend he didn't say it. At the minimum, it's a PR nightmare. More accurately, though, he's a reprehensible human being.

How about the NBA fine him and ban him from games for his going around and evicting tenants who were black or Hispanic? Would that solve your complaint?
If they want to kick the PR nightmare to the curb for business reasons, that's one thing. I focused on the fine because it is purely punitive, and I'm a little uneasy with such a harsh punishment for comments made under reasonable expectation of privacy.
Old April 30 2014, 01:24 PM   #141
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The PR issue extends to not punishing him, though. People think he shouldn't have any influence over the Clippers. The NBA wants him to sell the team. The fine, etc. are designed to encourage him to sell.
Old April 30 2014, 03:14 PM   #142
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

They better not let his wife buy the team, either.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 03:53 PM   #143
Yanks
Fleet Captain

It's a good thing he didn't say don't bring your white friends... I'm sure the outrage would have been ten fold.
Old April 30 2014, 04:10 PM   #144
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Gotta love World Net Daily's defense of Sterling in a column titled Thought Police on the Loose.
Barbara Simpson wrote:
Sad, isn’t it, when truth is considered “offensive”?
This article is the truth and is needed.

Sorry if that is inconvenient.

It's too easy to conduct a trial and convict in the media.

This guy is a turd, but why all the hoopla about it right now? Everyone know's/knew he was a turd, and he still is a turd.

There HAS to be more to this...

But, everyone was happy last night, so all is well.
Old April 30 2014, 05:13 PM   #145
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yanks wrote: View Post
It's a good thing he didn't say don't bring your white friends... I'm sure the outrage would have been ten fold.
Hm, yes, he would have eaten ten lifetime bans.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:33 PM   #146
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timby wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Hm, yes, he would have eaten ten lifetime bans.
Old April 30 2014, 07:47 PM   #147
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
The PR issue extends to not punishing him, though. People think he shouldn't have any influence over the Clippers. The NBA wants him to sell the team. The fine, etc. are designed to encourage him to sell.
I don't see how the fine encourages him to sell, unless they're planning to use it as a bargaining chip (i.e., agree to drop the fine in exchange for Sterling agreeing to accept all the other sanctions including selling the team). Simply "dropping" the fine may be difficult now that Silver is on recording promising that the fine will go to relevant charities. Either the other owners would have to chip in to pay in his place, or the charities would get stiffed.
Old April 30 2014, 08:19 PM   #148
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Well, let me put it this way, if he was caught on tape telling his doctor, lawyer, or priest not to bring black people to his games and not to have your picture taken with blacks and posted on Instagram -- to not be seen publicly with blacks, I would feel no different than I do today.

Now, if Sterling were caught on tape telling his therapist or priest about his prejudice and how he didn't like blacks and latinos (or whoever), but wished to get help with this problem, then I would say, he should get some serious consideration.

Sterling didn't "create" the Clippers, he bought into the NBA through his ownership of the team. As such he, like the other owners, is held to a standard set by the league's other owners and the players' union. He agreed to uphold those standards when he bought the franchise. He violated those rules and he is being punished. It is the same with the players. He has a certain amount of autonomy as owner, but not "complete" autonomy.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 05:53 AM   #149
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

This week is rounding into something special. First getting rid of Sterling and now Mike D'Antoni resigns as Lakers coach today. If someone were choosing the new coach other than Jimmy Buss I might actually be doing the dance of joy right now rather than just grinning like a fool.

Oh, and the Kings coming back from 0-3 and eliminating San Jose doesn't suck either.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 06:08 AM   #150
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Bill Simmons has written a column about Sterling. I love the way this guy writes, and there are some interesting "rumors" he mentions in the article.

Linkypoo
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote