Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 30 2014, 02:55 AM   #31
Dennis
Commodore

Re: What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

They were supposed to be bio-monitors. Sort of prehistoric fitbits.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:56 AM   #32
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

^^^ Perscans.

Personal scanner/bio-monitors. The belt-buckle things were devices that evidently monitored one's vital signs and kept Sickbay informed in the event of a medical emergency.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 03:59 AM   #33
Lance
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote:
I would say the best looking of the TMP uniforms was Admiral Kirk's two-colour one.
Agreed. I'd have prefered everybody's uniform to be a variant of the Kirk one in terms of the two-tone look, but with maybe the different department colours combined with the white section.
That was a proposed idea for the aborted Phase II series back in '77.
http://www.marcellorossi.info/Profil...storyTunic.jpg
I think they look pretty good.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 04:27 AM   #34
J.T.B.
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
They were supposed to be bio-monitors. Sort of prehistoric fitbits.
In fact in some sources at the time they were said to be "biorhythm" monitors. It was the '70s, at least they didn't give an astrology reading.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:25 AM   #35
dswynne1
Lieutenant

Thanks, guys.

Still, if that's what they were going for, why didn't they combine that medical unit with the wrist communicator, and then had a standard issue belt (if needed) that were less bulky? I mean, didn't the TNG com-badges had bio-monitors/sensors, too? Granted, it's too late now to be a fashion consultant for TMP uniforms and all...
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:35 AM   #36
dswynne1
Lieutenant

Oh, I did find this:

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/unifor...7/uniforms.htm

I don't know if this is canon or not, though...
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 12:29 PM   #37
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
Oh, I did find this:

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/unifor...7/uniforms.htm

I don't know if this is canon or not, though...
I just looked at TMP the security uniform and that reminded me that that was the absolutely second worst uniform in Star Trek. It just looked like someone had got lost off the football field. Terrible. Everyone wearing one looked like a fool. IMO.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 03:52 PM   #38
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

TMP takes another hit.

Red shirts dropping like flies was already a thing at that time. TMP tried to address the issue, giving security some armor and maybe they won't drop dead every time they show up onscreen.

Instead of correcting a perceived problem, TMP gets called out for making security guards into goofy football players.

TMP just can't win.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 04:56 PM   #39
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

The only "complaint" I had with them was the pants/boots. Had they used the black pants from TWOK with the shirts from TMP, I think they would have looked great.
I really liked how they used and built upon the original rank system with the sleeve stripes. I've missed that in nearly every other ST uniform since.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 05:42 PM   #40
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
I kind of have a soft-spot for them, and felt that they allowed for a futuristic look for the film. If there was one flaw, I felt that the overall design was not consistent. I couldn't tell which department belong to what uniform, and there were too many collar variations. But I did like the idea of slipping on a jacket over your uniform, one that was designed to be utilitarian, and not bulky (compared to the field jacket in TWOK).

I do wonder if the field jumpsuits in STiD is a throwback to some of the TMP uniforms, but without the 1970s look...
As someone who saw the film at the Chinese theatre (in Hollywood, CA) it's opening week with friends in November 1979:

The consensus on the TMP uniforms was:

"Who the hell thought pajamas would be the Fleet uniform of the late 23rd century? Whomever it was should be shot."

I still feel that way 35 years later. Never liked the TMP Starfleet uniforms, never will.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 06:11 PM   #41
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post

Our personal preferences on style or the color palette are irrelevant as far as the concept goes, since they are future uniforms and about the only thing we can be sure about them is that they would look a lot different from our present day aesthetic expectations.
I respectfully disagree about style and color preference with concept, because Star Trek is first and foremost supposed to be entertaining fiction. Otherwise, the majority of designs in Trek don't make much practical sense, like the 90s trend to make starships more streamlined (warp "aerodynamics" was just a backdoor concept as an excuse to make them sleeker) or the dustbuster phasers that would be bad for aiming. But it's part of the package and helps sell what we're looking at as the future.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that practicality doesn't matter in design or that it's impossible to reconcile that with aesthetics. It's just that I believe if the uniforms look boring, and you're going to be watching the central cast for the vast majority of the movie and they're wearing the uniforms, then they themselves lose a bit of energy. If TMP is considered the "slo-mo" picture, I would think the uniforms play a role in that -- not as much as the editing or pace, mind you, but adding to an atmosphere of dullness.

The movie uniforms were a victim of the 70s aesthetic -- muted, beigey loungey type of feel. I was watching the first Anchorman movie and, while a comedy, Ron Burgundy's color choice isn't too far off from the browner uniform colors. And the worst way to date a futuristic movie is to use fashion trends of the decade in which it was made.
Old April 30 2014, 07:32 PM   #42
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I read once that the idea was to give the futuristic starships a comfortable, "shirtsleeve" environment.

And anyone notice that JJ's medical uniforms look just like the TMP medical outfits. (And The Admirals uniforms, of course, look obviously inspired by Kirk's from TMP...)

One idea I liked was that there were *off-duty* shipboard outfits too (look at the bath robe-looking outfits...they were meant for off-duty I originally read in an old "How To Make Your Own Star Trek Uniform" book...)

I mean, as much as I like the ST:2 and beyond "band uniforms" the look uncomfortable to wear all day. They look like a *formal* uniform (and *double as such*) and we needed a ship-board uniform to go with it. Maybe a landing party outfit too.

I like the "bio-belts" and just imagine that they were later miniaturized and are still part of the uniforms somewhere. I thought Star Trek '09 shows that it made sense to be able to monitor crew's lifesigns off-ship. (Only think missing is a camera. We have them *now*!)

I would love to see some version of the TMP uniforms with maybe the TOS colors (if maybe a bit subdued) - and *maybe* black pants...just to see how they look...(but my Photoshop skill don't exist.)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 08:11 PM   #43
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

They're bland and boring and not nearly colorful enough, especially coming after the vibrant primary colors of TOS.

True confession: One of the reasons I could never get into Stargate was the dull khaki uniforms. I prefer my space operas to be a bit more visually exciting--like TOS or Farscape.
Old April 30 2014, 09:37 PM   #44
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I'd say the belt-buckle-biorythm-doohickies were a doomed concept from the start. They take away too much drama potential in stories. No finding dead bodies, or crewmen unknowingly catching some mysterious disease with those belt medical boxes to spoil all the surprises! Unless Star Trek were specifically a medical show, those belt devices would get in the way of the story, and many dramatic scenes of character interaction would die aborning.

The early episodes of Space:1999 had a similar idea, and while it worked well in one story, it would have gotten repetitive seeing "Technician Joe Schmoe: life functions terminated" every single week.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 09:40 PM   #45
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

xvicente wrote: View Post
As many before me have said, the TMP uniforms look like pajamas.

That's what you get when you are going to produce a new Star Trek and want to make it different from TOS just for the sake of being different. (the TNG uniforms are also bad)

See JJ-Trek. For as many as its bizarre choices en ever other aspect, they managed to modernize the TOS uniforms while keeping the design recognizable.
The TOS uniforms looked like pajamas, too.