Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 28 2014, 09:48 PM   #46
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: "Two Takes" Frakes

popcultureevil wrote: View Post
Never understood the two takes label. So Sir Patrick, Dorn, Sirtis, McFadden, Burton, Spiner or himself when in shot never messed up their lines? lol.. Based on some Youtube videos, seems they needed more than two takes often than not.
A good chunk of TV/film making also includes establishing shots, like shots for setting or panning or crowd shots, too. How many takes would you need to watch Geordi walk from the warp core to the center table in engineering, for example? Or a random shot behind Data and Ro typing away while looking at the viewscreen? Or even a computer panel that will be filled later on by the sfx crew? The ones with actual lines are, in their own way, trickier because then that's something that the director has less control over.

Last edited by Cyke101; April 28 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 10:33 PM   #47
2takesfrakes
Commodore

popcultureevil wrote: View Post
Never understood the two takes label. So Sir Patrick, Dorn, Sirtis, McFadden, Burton, Spiner or himself when in shot never messed up their lines? lol.. Based on some Youtube videos, seems they needed more than two takes often than not.
As it appears no one is watching the video I supplied in my original post on this matter, the bottom line is that Frakes' nickname refers to the necessity of printing out 2 takes, which he - apparently - was in need of remembering. Thus one of the producers dubbed him "Two Takes" Frakes so he wouldn't forget. Until I researched this, myself, I must confess that I, too, was under the impression that the nick referred to speed and efficiency in film making.

... I was wrong.

There. Did you good people ever expect me to say such a thing? $ave it, link to it, savour it ...
Old April 29 2014, 03:32 AM   #48
Lance
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Also, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, how about a shout-out for Frakes' performance as Xanatos on the fondly-remembered Disney series Gargoyles?
That's right! And I don't believe that's his only voice over work, either.
And due to Disney's usual insistence upon basing their character designs on the actors doing the voices, Xanatos even looked like Frakes as well.

(In fact, loser confession time: I bought a Xanatos action figure specifically because it was, basically, a Jonathan Frakes action figure. Although I don't think Frakes ever rocked a ponytail quite like Xanatos though...)
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 07:38 AM   #49
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
Although I don't think Frakes ever rocked a ponytail quite like Xanatos though...)
Shame!

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 12:12 PM   #50
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Whilst I adore Genie Francis - she's so sweet! - I kind of blame her, honestly, for letting Frakes slide on taking care of himself. For example, she could've surprised him with gift of Rogaine (Extra Strength), as he is getting thin up top. She also could've encouraged him - most strongly - to exercise in a Home Gym, perhaps. Or, at the very least, have him exercise in a heated Swimming Pool. It's hard to see all of THE NEXT GENERATION cast getting old - especially Gates and Marina. But to let oneself go, so completely, in an Industry that prizes Good Looks above all, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does Frakes have health concerns, does anybody know? Has this been a contributing factor in his declining appearance? Believe me, I don't even want to address it, but it's what's going on ...
Old May 1 2014, 11:23 AM   #51
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

But to let oneself go, so completely, in an Industry that prizes Good Looks above all, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
He's probably old enough to not have time for all of that Hollywood nonsense. After spending all those years squeezing into the tight uniforms I'd be fed up with the diet!
Old May 1 2014, 02:06 PM   #52
Makarov
Commander

Rogaine is sooo not worth it. A ton of money/time just to save a little hair. Plus the sexual side affects. If it's gonna go, it's gonna go, just ask Patrick Stewart. I'm sure they can just go shatner style with a riker wig if they want him to play the character again, or just let the character age as well.

I kinda like him better with the gut in seasons 3+ than his season 1 appearance.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:57 PM   #53
publiusr
Commodore

Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Frakes directed my absolute favorite episode of Castle, the fifth season episode 'The Final Frontier' where a murder takes place at a sci-fi convention. He makes a cameo in the beginning that is just too funny!

He also directed episodes of Leverage and The Glades.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Ah! I missed that one.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 11:13 PM   #54
2takesfrakes
Commodore

And it can't be overstated, iether, just how much Jonathan Frakes has meant to the franchise, as a whole. Every series has called for at least one guest appearance by him. He has really been there for all of the fans of STAR TREK, regardless of what series they call their favourite. In a way, it could truly be said that Jonathan Frakes is all of STAR TREK in one package ...

Old May 7 2014, 02:37 PM   #55
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Too bad TNG didn't do a "Trials and Tribble-ations" type episode. He dould have been in every series then. Sort of.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 01:31 PM   #56
2takesfrakes
Commodore

http://www.startrek.com/article/jona...ing-new-series

Everyone! Good News:
Jonathan Frakes is back in the saddle, once again!

According to startrek.com, "Two Takes" is slated to direct at least 3 (three) episodes of "The Librarians," a new series based on "The Librarian" trilogy. Frakes directed the two entertaining sequels of that trilogy. So having him back onboard can only mean the chances of success forthis brand new series ... may have just doubled!
Old May 27 2014, 08:05 PM   #57
VORTEX8472
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lance wrote: View Post
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Also, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, how about a shout-out for Frakes' performance as Xanatos on the fondly-remembered Disney series Gargoyles?
That's right! And I don't believe that's his only voice over work, either.
And due to Disney's usual insistence upon basing their character designs on the actors doing the voices, Xanatos even looked like Frakes as well.

(In fact, loser confession time: I bought a Xanatos action figure specifically because it was, basically, a Jonathan Frakes action figure. Although I don't think Frakes ever rocked a ponytail quite like Xanatos though...)
Oh boy, Gargoyles, I totally loved that show, it was like a Star Trek Alumni clubhouse...

Frakes, Sirtis, Spiner, Dorn, Brooks, Burton, Mulgrew, Nichols to name a few, plus over a dozen Trek guest stars.
VORTEX8472 is offline   Reply With Quote