Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 29 2014, 03:57 PM   #16
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

Counting down to the inevitable posting of the infamous "Decker Unit" and "Spock Unit" TMP pics...
Old April 29 2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Lance
Commodore

MacLeod wrote:
I would say the best looking of the TMP uniforms was Admiral Kirk's two-colour one.
Agreed. I'd have prefered everybody's uniform to be a variant of the Kirk one in terms of the two-tone look, but with maybe the different department colours combined with the white section.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

They're some bizarre space footie pajamas. Kirk's uniform was the best looking of the bunch. What's really weird is those belts
Old April 29 2014, 07:00 PM   #19
Vger23
Lieutenant

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
^^^ wouldn't it be even better to have an avatar of the *real* Chuck Yeager?
No, because by having this picture, Frakes is able to combine the awesomeness that is Chuck Yeager AND the awesomeness that is "The Right Stuff" all in one.

DUH!!
Old April 29 2014, 08:38 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote:
I would say the best looking of the TMP uniforms was Admiral Kirk's two-colour one.
Agreed. I'd have prefered everybody's uniform to be a variant of the Kirk one in terms of the two-tone look, but with maybe the different department colours combined with the white section.
That was a proposed idea for the aborted Phase II series back in '77.
http://www.marcellorossi.info/Profil...storyTunic.jpg

I think costume designer Robert Fletcher eventually settled on an idea of Kirk's initial TMP uniform being a formal uniform.
Old April 29 2014, 09:17 PM   #21
J.T.B.
Commodore

I think the TMP uniforms were conceptually the strongest in all of Trek. They continued the established rank system and expanded it so it could be used on the shoulders if necessary. They provided for enlisted rank insignia. They expanded the division colors to be more specific. There were dressy, working, normal duty and maybe off-duty variants, plus additional clothing for engineering, security, medical and so on.

Our personal preferences on style or the color palette are irrelevant as far as the concept goes, since they are future uniforms and about the only thing we can be sure about them is that they would look a lot different from our present day aesthetic expectations. But that said, I personally don't care for the uneven, un-tucked shirttail hemline of the uniform tunics, the "floating" belt buckle without visible belt, and the collar-less field jacket (ever tried to keep warm in something without a collar?). The different uniform colors are a little odd, I don't mind them but they seem like there's kind of a system to them, and kind of not. But that's nit-picking, overall I'm a fan of the TMP uniforms.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 10:58 PM   #22
sonak
Vice Admiral

they don't look like uniforms for a professional quasi-military organization, they look like pajamas.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 10:58 PM   #23
Dennis
The Man

I liked Kirk's short-sleeved tunic and admiral's uniform, but the colors were blah.
Old April 29 2014, 11:45 PM   #24
xvicente
Commander

As many before me have said, the TMP uniforms look like pajamas.

That's what you get when you are going to produce a new Star Trek and want to make it different from TOS just for the sake of being different. (the TNG uniforms are also bad)

See JJ-Trek. For as many as its bizarre choices en ever other aspect, they managed to modernize the TOS uniforms while keeping the design recognizable.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 12:01 AM   #25
2takesfrakes
Commodore

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
^^^ wouldn't it be even better to have an avatar of the *real* Chuck Yeager?
It would be more "substantive," perhaps, to use an actual photograph of Chuck Yeager, but not necessarily "better." My avatar is as much about THE RIGHT STUFF, as it is about him. Besides, the real Chuck Yeager had a small part in the movie - with a couple lines, in fact. But he was an Old Fart, as he was probably pushing 60, at the time ... so ... no. I'll ... I best stick to my Hollywoodified Chuck Yeager avatar. Thank you, very much ...
Old April 30 2014, 12:13 AM   #26
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

TMP uniforms are okay. I always thought it was a losing game.

Some scoffed at TOS uniforms as too bright and colorful, almost garish with the bold primary colors. TMP tones down the palette and then gets called out for drab, bland colors.

TMP tries to make an accurate prediction of what a closed-environment spacecraft crew would wear, then gets called out for outfitting the crew in pajamas. Just can't win.

If reality is any indication, look at what astronauts wear onboard the space station...tee-shirts and shorts, might as well be pajamas.

I guess TMP failed trying too hard to be future-accurate and not enough cinema-appealling.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 12:17 AM   #27
urbandefault
Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
I liked Kirk's short-sleeved tunic and admiral's uniform, but the colors were blah.
This.

I also liked McCoy's 'leisure suit' variant. Kelley seemed to favor that style in real life too, though it would have been better with his ascot or bandanna.

The built-in boots made for a sleek look, but TNG did it better with the stirrup thing.

I could have done without the rodeo buckle, but it did break up the long line of the tunic.
Old April 30 2014, 12:19 AM   #28
Dennis
The Man

The tunic shown in that auction image, BTW, is misidentified. The uniform being worn by the Vulcan was designed by Robert Fletcher for ST:TMP - it's one of his right down to the "belly-warmer" belt buckle. Fletcher didn't work on the aborted second TV series. The uniforms to be used for Star Trek Phase II were the original series uniforms and some variations, all in the original series colors - many were fabricated and have found their way into the hands of collectors.
Old April 30 2014, 12:44 AM   #29
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I agree that variant 2-tone admiral uniforms would have been preferable across the board but they also needed TNG season 3 shoulder pads as the belt buckle is quite bulky and distorts the waist, making people look fatter than they needed to. Giving a bit more width at the shoulder would add to the military feel and restore more of a V-shape, using the illusion of the tapering white strip down the middle. Rank epaulets on the shoulders were also the way to go IMO.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:32 AM   #30
dswynne1
Lieutenant

Did the buckles serve any purpose? They seemed too bulky to be just accessories to the uniform.
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote