Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 22 2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: "Two Takes" Frakes

I would not mind seeing him direct Star Trek III/XIII, though the odds of Paramount making that happen are zip/zilch/nada. The current cast has plenty of chemistry, and I think he'd do a great job of emphasizing that over the no-doubt plenty of action scenes. The only thing is that he'd have to get a handle on shakycam and more dynamic, kinetic moving shots. Frakes is a student of film and will put in tons of research to for the right style, which is always a plus.
Old April 22 2014, 05:49 PM   #32
varek
Commander

Jonathan Frakes was fantastic on all the Star Trek series in which appeared as Will (and sometimes also Thomas) Riker, of course! But I also loved his appearances on the Roswell series! He was so funny and so approachable, one has to admire him.

He also appeared on that Syfy series about the unusual, but I've forgotten its name.

As he mentioned in that appearance/interview, he has directed and produced several series, so he is a man of many talents.

Finally, although the books are not regarded as canon, my appreciation for Captain (now Admiral) Riker--and also for his "twin," Thomas Riker--has grown considerably, through those stories, and I think he is an even better captain than Captain Picard, his longtime mentor. When Picard and Riker make different decisions, I find myself agreeing with Riker every time.

I think it is time we start giving Riker and Frakes the respect they have so convincingly deserved all these years.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 07:58 PM   #33
2takesfrakes
Commodore

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
LOL. No pressure, then!
Never! No pressure, here. Only Fun and Fantasy. And I'm with you, as far as being a Will Riker Fan, in particular. He's my favourite First Officer! He's so relatable, you know? He's a real "Every Man," in that sense. And not just men relate to him. There are a lot of women, certainly, who recognise his many worthy attributes. This one's for you, WillsBabe:

Old April 22 2014, 10:06 PM   #34
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Thanks! I'm flattered! I think I like item one the best.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:25 PM   #35
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Hey 2takesfrakes, that's Johnny 5's theme and no one elses.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 11:58 PM   #36
2takesfrakes
Commodore

>>SNORT!!!<<
Here's the OFFICIAL video to the song. Regardless, ladies ... let Commander William T. Riker satisfy all of your fantasy needs, in any case ...

Old April 23 2014, 11:21 AM   #37
2takesfrakes
Commodore

vulcan redshirt wrote: View Post
Slightly OT, but in that vid, is it just the light, or is he going a bit thin on top?
That's the Process of Erosion™ at work, as it's the first place female fans go for - always wanting to run their fingers through his hair ...
Old April 23 2014, 11:25 AM   #38
2takesfrakes
Commodore

varek wrote: View Post
I think it is time we start giving Riker and Frakes the respect they have so convincingly deserved all these years.
Old April 23 2014, 08:48 PM   #39
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
One of my favourite scenes in the whole of TNG is the bar scene in First Contact.
Me too! "You're blended all right."
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 04:32 PM   #40
varek
Commander

Awesome video of Bonnie Tyler! She was obviously singing about 2takesfrakes, aka Will Riker.
Old April 24 2014, 09:11 PM   #41
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Now, let us Warp 10 around the Sun, as we go back in Time, to the beginning of TNG, in the Year of Our Lord 1987. And an interview that took place with "Two Takes" Frakes and Sir Patrick Stewart. Heat Shields up, at maximum ...

Old April 25 2014, 05:14 PM   #42
varek
Commander

Now that TNG has become a classic, the standard to which the other Trek series are compared, it seems funny to see the perceptions of its potential at the beginning of its run.

Thank you for sharing that interview with us, 2takesfrakes!
Old April 27 2014, 10:01 PM   #43
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

Also, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, how about a shout-out for Frakes' performance as Xanatos on the fondly-remembered Disney series Gargoyles?
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 12:25 AM   #44
2takesfrakes
Commodore

That's right! And I don't believe that's his only voice over work, either.

Jonathan Frakes has hinted at, perhaps even directly stated, I'm not sure, that STAR TREK basically typecast him and made it harder for him to get parts. As Cyke101 mentioned in this very thread, though, STAR TREK also denied Frakes the opportunity of directing some really major event movies, even within the franchise, itself. And I find that to be very unfair. Actors directing movies they're starring in is not something many of them who've tried it have pulled off.

Kenneth Branagh comes to mind, as I am quite fond of Shakespeare and he's tried bringing a lot of that to the screen. Unfortunately, though, I am not fond of his Hamlet. However, his HENRY V is truly epic. And I would go so far as to say that Frakes reminds me of him, in terms of what he might've been capable of.

The way Frakes stages scenes, the care he takes in choosing some of the best cinematographers in the business and the fact that he knows how to relax people and really get solid performances out of his cast ... what he really should've done was try to go Independent. I don't know if he ever did. I don't doubt that if he lucked out having a really strong writer, Frakes would be a very bankable name. As it is, he's kept himself steadily employed on lesser projects and through the convention circuit and he continues to be a very loved celebrity. So ... he hasn't really done too badly for himself, I suspect ...
Old April 28 2014, 08:55 PM   #45
popcultureevil
Lieutenant

Never understood the two takes label. So Sir Patrick, Dorn, Sirtis, McFadden, Burton, Spiner or himself when in shot never messed up their lines? lol.. Based on some Youtube videos, seems they needed more than two takes often than not.

That said I think even the episodes directed by him and not the films are the amongst the best in quality, and that's no coincidence IMO. I think though as Picard was the "star" (it's an ensemble show but then to many the Captain is the main character), he's naturally become a global actor.
popcultureevil is offline   Reply With Quote