A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 24 2014, 06:05 PM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: A TOS resurgence?

There's a general resurgence of nostalgia as well as attention in the form of JJ Trek for the old show. For myself I guess I am "over" it...I've seen it too much or something because I rarely watch the show since the TOR-R came out. It's almost like they got it right and so I no longer need to see them. I tend to watch STNG-R and Enterprise more than any show if I do these days.

RAMA
Old April 24 2014, 06:07 PM   #17
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ You are really stretching it. Abrams didn't save anything because a healthy interest still existed. Those films brought added interest, but that's it.
It saved the franchise as a whole because the last 2 movies made a combined $170 million at the WW box office, and JJs movies made $850 million. See how that works?
Old April 24 2014, 06:19 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The two Abrams films definitely lifted Star Trek's profile among general audiences. The rest of us would've still been here talking about it because we've been talking about it non-stop for forty-years.
Old April 24 2014, 06:23 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The two Abrams films definitely lifted Star Trek's profile among general audiences. The rest of us would've still been here talking about it because we've been talking about it non-stop for forty-years.
Yes.
Old April 24 2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Bixby
Commander

The two Abrams films did the same thing for Star Trek that the Micheal Bay films did for the Transformers. They both took an already-existing IP with a core fan base that loved it already, yet was still limited in crossover and mainstream appeal. They found a creative team that for good or ill found a different narrative approach, jettisoning many of the concept's peculiarities its hardcore fans love but go over the heads of most casual filmgoers.

Looks like those two franchises hit paydirt. But for every Transformers and Star Trek, you get Garfields, Smurfs and Lone Rangers...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 09:05 PM   #21
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

we've been talking about it non-stop for forty-years.

....and the general population knows either the images, catchphrases, some idea of certain plots, etc., of TOS--and did not need JJ's bubblegum to achieve that.
Old April 24 2014, 09:11 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

....and the general population knows either the images, catchphrases, some idea of certain plots, etc., of TOS--and did not need JJ's bubblegum to achieve that.
To a point. But I believe that TOS (and Modern Trek) was beginning to fade from the consciousness of the general public prior to the Abrams films. Most fans will always be fans, but continuing to hold the interest of the general audience is a much tougher trick. Especially when no new material is being produced.
Old April 24 2014, 09:36 PM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

STAR TREK: The Original Series is so much fun ..."F-U-N"!

I Love It!!!

The colourful sets and costumes. The sillyness and camp of it all ...
It's great that J.J. Abrams has gotten the franchise back on track.
And a course that's so sure ... and so secure ... that we can all say,
sincerely say, to ourselves & to eachother: STAR TREK LIVES!!!
Old April 24 2014, 09:43 PM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

Yes.
Old April 24 2014, 11:46 PM   #25
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Interest in TOS did not need the JJ movies to retain or build interest. As of this day, what average person ever talks about the JJ films?
I would say that if it weren't for Abrams's films, Star Trek in total would be completely dead, because it was already pretty much dead not long before them. So yeah, like it or not, the new movies did help.
The Berman productions died, not the interest or popularity of TOS.

The NG films hit a new low with each new entry, DS9 was what could be best described as a niche interest within ST fandom, while Voyager and Enterprise (aside from a couple of episodes in E's final season) force fed all that was ever wrong with Berman's stewardship to the point where it was hardly ST at all.

In comes JJ, and instead of creating all new characters, or trying to piggyback on the Berman shows, the studio went to the face, heart--universally recognized identity of the ST concept: TOS. One can argue--confidently--that the JJ films did not bring attention back to TOS, but the situation was/is reversed.

All one has to ask is: would anyone care about a JJ-Trek film with new or rebooted Berman characters?

No.
Old April 25 2014, 12:13 AM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Interest in TOS did not need the JJ movies to retain or build interest. As of this day, what average person ever talks about the JJ films?
I would say that if it weren't for Abrams's films, Star Trek in total would be completely dead, because it was already pretty much dead not long before them. So yeah, like it or not, the new movies did help.
The Berman productions died, not the interest or popularity of TOS.

The NG films hit a new low with each new entry, DS9 was what could be best described as a niche interest within ST fandom, while Voyager and Enterprise (aside from a couple of episodes in E's final season) force fed all that was ever wrong with Berman's stewardship to the point where it was hardly ST at all.

In comes JJ, and instead of creating all new characters, or trying to piggyback on the Berman shows, the studio went to the face, heart--universally recognized identity of the ST concept: TOS. One can argue--confidently--that the JJ films did not bring attention back to TOS, but the situation was/is reversed.

All one has to ask is: would anyone care about a JJ-Trek film with new or rebooted Berman characters?

No.
Yes, again.
Old April 25 2014, 12:16 AM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Out of all the old franchises that have gotten reboots, Star Trek seems to be the only one that has actually made people want to go back and watch the originals again. Shows like Twilight Zone still have a fanbase but it's nothing near the lifestyle obsession that Star Trek generated.

Does anyone else think it's ironic that science fiction fans are the group that are least bothered by low production values in old television shows?

I do think that there would be significant interest in Young Picard, if he behaved like the one we learned about in Tapestry.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 12:43 AM   #28
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Though I don't like the Abrams films, I think it's great that it's brought some more attention to the Star Trek source material. The one thing Abrams did right was to go back to the Star Trek source material.
Old April 25 2014, 12:56 AM   #29
2takesfrakes
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I do think that there would be significant interest in Young Picard, if he behaved like the one we learned about in Tapestry.
... AGREED!!!

Unfortunately, the time-period where his stabbing takes place is not properly situated for any kind of a series. But yes, Young Picard was very interesting and dynamic. I'm convinced he would capture the imagination of a very broad audience. What a shame another reboot is required, just to explore that. There's canon, getting in the way, again ...

but what can you do? You know? What can you do.
Old April 25 2014, 09:25 AM   #30
Dukhat
Commodore

I see. So this thread is basically about Warped9 and TREKGOD delusionally agreeing with each other about how JJTrek did nothing to help the TOS resurgence that is the subject of the OP.

Gotcha. I'm outta here.