nuEnterprise cutaway

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 22, 2014.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Click!
    It's a big image, and a bit rough around the edges. I did it because I've only seen one other attempt, and that one didn't take into account deck heights and other stuff learned in Into Darkness. Since I'm unlikely to ever really finish it, I'm releasing it as a Star Trek Fact Files-style "key location" cutaway. Take it in the spirit it was intended, a fun look inside the ship, rather than an accurate-to-the-inch schematic.

Credit to various ID set plans posted online, NIF building schematics from their online guidebook PDF and the ST'09 bluray for the Enterprise graphic.

Enjoy!:)

2. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be something wrong with photobucket because it doesn't show the actual image and says you have nothing uploaded. Is it possible you have it set to private or something?

3. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^ Worked fine for me, but I did have to reload the page a couple of times to see the full scale image. Might be just a glich on Photobucket's part.

King Daniel, nice work and a fun graphic!

Q2

4. F. King Daniel

The pic is fairly big, so it might just take a couple of extra seconds to appear. If you still can't see it after a couple of tries, Librarian (or anyone else!), let me know and I'll upload it elsewhere.
    Thanks!:)

5. NervousEnergy

NervousEnergy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I can only see a small sized image. Try uploading it to imgur.com (which is generally a much better img hosting service)

6. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Good to see. It makes sense from what we've seen so far. I'd prefer a larger version to see, but it provides the over all picture you were conveying.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Did you click on the magnify icon in the bottom right corner?

8. F. King Daniel

HERE is the imgur link. The full size is 8000x2000. Let me know if it works.

9. NervousEnergy

NervousEnergy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That imgur link works great! Lovely cutaway.

10. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I likey! :techman:

11. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great. Was wondering when there would be a cut away of the nuPrise.

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Nice job.

It seems like the "intermix chambers" and the "communications" areas are both a bit too big, I wonder if one could find rough plans for the Van Nuys brewery and get a sense for the acual dimentions of those areas?

And instead of intermix chambers, I think I would have called them antimatter storage tanks.

I do like how they put the communications bay behind the main dish in STID. Before the powers-that-be decided the purpose of the dish was to be a navigational deflector, it seemed to me that it would make sense to use the main dish to send and receive subspace transmissions - in a "hard scifi" version of Trek, I'd even have them need to spin and point the dish to broadcast.

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A great look at the new Enterprise, thanks!
    There really is a HUGE amount of infrastructure in that saucer, what on earth do they keep in it all I wonder?

14. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'm thinking most of the non-Engineering stuff is all in there. It would provide for much more extensive science laboratories, etc. Plus, much like the original series, most of the crew could have their own rooms, without as much need to double up.

15. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

It looks fantastic!

I'd imagine that, in a ship this size and given the predilections of this Starfleet; the secondary hull would be almost completely given to engineering and support systems. That's similar to how the Enterprise D and refit 1701 were designed, actually.

The primary hull has always been hinted at as being the bulk of the crew accommodations and support. I'd imagine it's just a larger version of that in this universe.

16. F. King Daniel

Thank you all for the kind words:)
    The length of the brewery I got from an article/interview with Atomic Fiction, who made the CG extended version for the roly poly sequence. They said the CG set extended about 100 feet in front and behind the actors, so about 200ft across (IIRC I ended up making it slightly bigger). The height was a guesstimate based on looking at a ton of photos inside the brewhouse, and old exterior photos of it's construction which show it to be around 100ft tall. If there are floor plans or accurate dimensions out there (even of just the fermenting tanks), I'd be very happy to see them and adjust accordingly!

I originally had Communications smaller, until I saw a Youtube video of the Van Nuys brewery tour, and the guide gave the size of the tanks in there as 20ft tall and 80ft long. He may have been rounding up, but I took it literally and adjusted accordingly. It's worth noting that in Star Trek: The Video Game, the chamber appears much smaller with a low ceiling, and is right next door to the water turbine/coolant area. The warp core area in the game appears very different to anything in the movies, and as a result of all these discrepancies, I chose not to use it as a source.
    Based on what we saw inside some of them in ST'09, I like to think of them as TMP-style intermix chambers, but (battery analogy coming up) set up in parallel as opposed to the TMP version, which could be interpreted as segments stacked in series. It would be very convenient if parallel instead of series had the higher output, since it would neatly explain why they have to be suspended in massive coolant tanks. But it's the other way around. Bah.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Ahhhh...

I see where you're going with that, it makes sense, since the "cores" they ejected in '09 were relatively small, I like the idea that they're inside the larger cooling/containment tanks. Maybe they're premix chambers where the reactants are heated prior to injection into the final stage NIF warp core.

It also occurs to me that maybe the "water turbine" section should be underneath the intermix chambers, to account for Kirk and Scotty's path in '09 (if one assumes they're on the way to the bridge), that would be a good location for the pumps etc. needed to circulate the coolants.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Excellent!:techman:

19. F. King Daniel

^Thanks!:)
    That was my first thought as well, until I rewatched the scene and saw the curved high ceiling where Kirk and Scotty materialize, indicating the top of the engineering hull.

20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Huh, I never noticed the ceiling in that scene.