Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 25 2014, 10:55 PM   #571
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
A quick heads-up for UK fans. STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Season 4 Blu-ray will be released on the 14th April 2014 - although you can't actually place an order yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-En...ason+4+blu+ray
Quoting myself here, but pre-orders are now live at Amazon UK. In a reversal of the S3 staggered schedules, the release date remains set at the 14th of April - so it looks like British patrons are getting their discs a couple of weeks ahead of fans in the US on this occasion.

My order's placed. Here's hoping there's a significant improvement in PQ this time.
Old April 16 2014, 10:18 PM   #572
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Well, I received my set today and though I'd chime in with some early thoughs. I watched Stormfront and Home. The picture quality is QUITE an improvement on the first three seasons. Crystal clear and very sharp. At this point in the series the majority of visual effects seemed to be rendered in HD.

I did notice that I have to get used to the digital look of the show in season 4. It was far less noticeable on dvd. The added clarity and sharpness brings out both the good and the bad. The good being the great detail in the sets, garments etc. The bad being that occassionally I became very much aware of watching actors on a set, something the flawed analogue quality of film seemed to hide more for me.

Still, the show looks very vibrant and I can't wait to watch the slave market scenes from the Augments trilogy tomorrow.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 10:30 PM   #573
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
Well, I received my set today and though I'd chime in with some early thoughs. I watched Stormfront and Home. The picture quality is QUITE an improvement on the first three seasons. Crystal clear and very sharp. At this point in the series the majority of visual effects seemed to be rendered in HD.

I did notice that I have to get used to the digital look of the show in season 4. It was far less noticeable on dvd. The added clarity and sharpness brings out both the good and the bad. The good being the great detail in the sets, garments etc. The bad being that occassionally I became very much aware of watching actors on a set, something the flawed analogue quality of film seemed to hide more for me.

Still, the show looks very vibrant and I can't wait to watch the slave market scenes from the Augments trilogy tomorrow.
Yes, I got my set today too! I'm currently ripping the entire season for playback on my media player. In fact, I'm just finishing up with "These Are The Voyages" as I type.

Great news reference the increase in PQ - I was really hoping for that. Can't wait to get stuck in tomorrow.
Old April 18 2014, 03:41 PM   #574
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Having seen a few more episodes, I can reiterate, season 4 looks great on blu-ray.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 09:49 AM   #575
Reeborg
Commander

I just received seasons 1&2 BDs. I mainly buy them for additional language options (I already had season 1 on dvd but only with eng/spa/ita audio). Anyhow, apparently they have left out spa&ita audio on the season 3&4 BDs, so I won't be buying them (any time soon).
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 12:25 AM   #576
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Well, I've now completed my review of Enterprise Season Four on Blu-ray - and I can at last give a hearty recommendation for a genuinely worthy upgrade from the previous DVD release.

Sharpness and clarity are significantly increased, with vibrant colours and pleasing black levels. It's certainly not perfect - patches of softness sporadically appear throughout - but that may have more to do with filming techniques.

The DTS Master Audio is solid, with some excellent separation and clear, easily discernable dialogue from the centre channel. Not spectacular sound, but this is an early 2000's TV show and is pretty good for what it is.

I've read a lot about the switch to digital giving a more "studio like" appearance to the show - but I'm not really seeing it. It's all graded quite nicely, and the dreaded "soap opera effect" is minimal to non-existent IMHO.
Old April 24 2014, 10:11 AM   #577
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

Next week's US Best Buy ad insert shows the season four set at $59.99 on release day.
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 12:10 PM   #578
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA
Old April 24 2014, 04:30 PM   #579
RAMA
Vice Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

You wouldn't think the difference would be so amazing...but it IS!
Old April 25 2014, 02:06 PM   #580
Reeborg
Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post

You wouldn't think the difference would be so amazing...but it IS!
I have only watched it on my laptop 17'' display in fullhd and the difference seems minor.
Old April 25 2014, 04:29 PM   #581
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Reeborg wrote: View Post
I have only watched it on my laptop 17'' display...
There's your problem.

You're not going to notice much of a difference on a small screen. This is similar to the issue with 4K, is that, while it has a much higher resolution than standard 1080P HD, it's not noticeable until you get into the larger TV sizes (IIRC 60+ inches)
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 06:26 PM   #582
Reeborg
Commander

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
I have only watched it on my laptop 17'' display...
There's your problem.

You're not going to notice much of a difference on a small screen. This is similar to the issue with 4K, is that, while it has a much higher resolution than standard 1080P HD, it's not noticeable until you get into the larger TV sizes (IIRC 60+ inches)
For a 60'' screen I would need at first a new bigger appartment.

I have a 32'' screen now, and I find the difference between DVD and BD (rather) minor. I have only a viewing distance of 2.5-3 m available, so I am wondering what big a screen would be reasonable, also considering watching (presently) mostly SD-TV ???
Old April 25 2014, 07:35 PM   #583
trekker670
Fleet Captain

This is admittedly off-topic, but since it came up, here's a few links related to screen size, resolution, and viewing distance. A viewing distance of 2.5-3 m (almost 10 feet) is pretty respectable and could fit a decently large screen.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ecommendations
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:20 AM   #584
Reeborg
Commander

trekker670 wrote: View Post
This is admittedly off-topic, but since it came up, here's a few links related to screen size, resolution, and viewing distance. A viewing distance of 2.5-3 m (almost 10 feet) is pretty respectable and could fit a decently large screen.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ecommendations
Thanks for the info, that help a lot.
My conclusion: for smaller screens than 50'' 1080p is practically "useless". I wonder if watching 480p will suffer at those big screens (at 2.5m viewing distance)?
Old April 26 2014, 10:40 AM   #585
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Sharpness and color reproduction are slightly better, but there really is hardly any difference.