RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,091
Posts: 5,399,169
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 472
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 24 2014, 12:07 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Pen Pal?

It would be worse with emails since the whole process is speeded up.

Why do you want to email strangers? Why not just post on forums and see if you make friends? You could write whatever you would write in an intro email in any of the intro threads on this BBS, or just start a blathering thread in Miscellaneous.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 01:00 AM   #17
Phil
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Phil's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: Pen Pal?

teacake wrote: View Post
Why not just post on forums and see if you make friends? You could write whatever you would write in an intro email in any of the intro threads on this BBS, or just start a blathering thread in Miscellaneous.
I thought that's what I did?
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 03:29 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Pen Pal?

I am asking you why you would want to email people cold who you don't know. I don't get it. In the pre net days it was cool to get letters from far away places with far away stamps and that might still be interesting but if you're talking about a pen pal style relationship that takes place over email with a stranger I don't get it.

I'm just curious as to what the motivation is.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 03:59 AM   #19
HIjol
Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Pen Pal?

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
So, me and Phil here are the only two people on the board that still write letters to people? wow.
...nope..you got one more here...and I use fountain pens and am proud to say so...
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 05:01 AM   #20
Phil
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Phil's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: Pen Pal?

teacake wrote: View Post
I am asking you why you would want to email people cold who you don't know. I don't get it.
Yeah, I guess that would be like joining a Club, striking up a conversation, and then asking people for their Facebook Details (which happens more often than you'd think) :-/

teacake wrote: View Post
In the pre net days it was cool to get letters from far away places with far away stamps and that might still be interesting but if you're talking about a pen pal style relationship that takes place over email with a stranger I don't get it.

I'm just curious as to what the motivation is.
And it's still cool to do so....to see the stamps of faraway places one may never get a chance to visit, and to actually correspond with a person in the form of 'writing', and getting to know someone that way, rather than just staring at words on a screen....well, for me at least, that's my motivation :-)

HIjol wrote: View Post

...nope..you got one more here...and I use fountain pens and am proud to say so...
I'll be wanting to use a Fountain Pen as well when I can, if I can find decent enough paper to do so (so it doesn't bleed)....otherwise, I'll probably just be using a Rolling Ball Pen :-)
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 06:47 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Pen Pal?

I can barely write with a pen, my hand cramps, my penmanship has always been atrocious and I'm beyond impatient with it being so slow. I looooove to type and my thinking is geared to typing. I haven't written more than 2 sentences at a time by hand in years.

Once upon a time I would write 40 page handwritten letters to a dear friend, this was in high school. I still have her letters she sent in return.

I love email. I would never go back to hardcopy.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 09:56 AM   #22
HIjol
Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Pen Pal?

teacake wrote: View Post
I can barely write with a pen, my hand cramps, my penmanship has always been atrocious and I'm beyond impatient with it being so slow. I looooove to type and my thinking is geared to typing. I haven't written more than 2 sentences at a time by hand in years.

Once upon a time I would write 40 page handwritten letters to a dear friend, this was in high school. I still have her letters she sent in return.

I love email. I would never go back to hardcopy.
...totally understand, under your circumstances, but so sorry to hear...I fear it really is a dying art...
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 12:06 PM   #23
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Pen Pal?

[Kirk] LET IT DIE!!![/Kirk]

Remember that stuff of yore, those fetching pre emoticon emoticons?

Now if you want them you have to space 'em so they don't turn into pictures.

: )

: )

: )

See, I'm hip with past forms of communication.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 04:54 PM   #24
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Pen Pal?

Phil wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
It seems to reach a barrier where you've done all the basic introductions and there's not much else left to say, unless you plan on writing about what you ate that week. I suppose it would be more successful if you took a more intellectual approach, or wrote to each other less often.
Wouldn't that surely be the case with E-Mails as well??
Yes. Which is probably why I have no Internet friends either.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 07:51 PM   #25
Sigokat
Commander
 
Sigokat's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: Pen Pal?

teacake wrote: View Post
I can barely write with a pen, my hand cramps, my penmanship has always been atrocious and I'm beyond impatient with it being so slow. I looooove to type and my thinking is geared to typing. I haven't written more than 2 sentences at a time by hand in years.

Once upon a time I would write 40 page handwritten letters to a dear friend, this was in high school. I still have her letters she sent in return.

I love email. I would never go back to hardcopy.
As an O/C at JRTC at Fort Polk, LA I was tasked to listen to the radio chatter of our rotational unit as they made their night jump into the exercise.

We had already been up all day (it was my birthday as well) waiting around for H-hour for the jump. My Task Force Commander put me on radio duty since I was the signal guy in our Task Force.

The jump happened around 2200 if I remember correctly (this was 3 1/2 years ago) and I started taking notes as soon as the units got up on their nets. It was probably around 0200 when my writing became illegible. I still have the book and still to this day cannot decipher what I was trying to write. I chalk it up to being dead-ass tired, cold as hell (it does get cold in Louisiana, especially at night in the fall).

So I guess the point of my whole story is that I understand the whole bad hand-writing thing. On a normal day mine is okay, but that night...no idea what I was writing!!
__________________
Just my Two Lincolns
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 09:25 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Pen Pal?

HIjol wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
So, me and Phil here are the only two people on the board that still write letters to people? wow.
...nope..you got one more here...and I use fountain pens and am proud to say so...
Got a collection of them myself, tend to try and write everyday.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 12:04 AM   #27
selina
Fleet Captain
 
selina's Avatar
 
Location: in the shadows
Re: Pen Pal?

I use different methods of communication: email, facebook, message boards ... and old fashioned letters. I have a friend in Denmark and I write with her on an irregular basis. There is a different touch and feel to it when you write letters. And the best part is when you get a letter in return, so the letter box isn't just filled with bills .
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 05:48 AM   #28
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Pen Pal?

teacake wrote: View Post
[Kirk] LET IT DIE!!![/Kirk]

Remember that stuff of yore, those fetching pre emoticon emoticons?

Now if you want them you have to space 'em so they don't turn into pictures.

: )

: )

: )

See, I'm hip with past forms of communication.
You can always set your post options to "Disable smilies in text."


I'm unlikely to correspond via snailmail these days since postage went up to 85 cents, and that's just within Canada, never mind international rates.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 11:09 PM   #29
Phil
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Phil's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Re: Pen Pal?

Well, for what it's worth, I've started sending messages to some people in a few Pen Pal sites, including the ones suggested by Spot's Meow....so we'll see how that goes, I guess

And....more importantly, I've started writing 'practice letters', just to get back in the practice of actual writing again :-)

I used to write Short Stories as well, which in itself kept me in that practice, but, even the last one of those was some 10 or so years ago :-/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 07:57 AM   #30
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Pen Pal?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I'm unlikely to correspond via snailmail these days since postage went up to 85 cents, and that's just within Canada, never mind international rates.
Forty-Six pence for a letter in a country the size of Canada. That is mighty cheap.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.