TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 23 2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Yminale
Rear Admiral

NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we are

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/2...lanet-species/

You first have to convince me that humans are worth saving.
Old April 23 2014, 05:28 PM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we

Yeah, says who that the universe needs more fucking Starbucks and ugly ass condos.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Mars is already littered with our defunct robots. The moon landing sites are littered with bags of urine, junked cars and torn up platforms ... not to mention a couple crashed probes.

We are too irresponsible to take care of our own home planet, properly, so naturally, the solution is to do the same thing to as many other planets as we can get a foothold on ...
((...snicker))
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 11:42 PM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

No need to worry.

NASA has been talking talking talking for nearly fifty years since Apollo ended. Moon base, Mars landings, deep space exploration, whatever.

In the 60s, NASA had a variety of manned space vehicles.
Today, NASA can't get a human into LEO. NASA's manned program is less capable than it was decades ago.

NASA can keep talking and talking and making artwork and powerpoint presentations and canceling program after program after program. No need to worry. Nothing's gonna happen.

Source: waiting my entire lifetime
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 12:36 AM   #5
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

No, really - they're going to do it this time. And, they'll be ahead of schedule and under budget, too.

I'm getting pissed all over again just thinking about how badly they've squandered things. I'm just going to put this here, and back slowly away from the thread with my fists and jaw clenched.

PS: As to everyone here talking about how we'll just pollute other worlds and they are better off without us, I'll remind you that we were given all of these worlds except Europa to do with as we please. So enough of that talk.
Old April 24 2014, 01:09 AM   #6
varek
Commander

I'm surprised the previous responders here seem so negative and pessimistic.

Yes, previous people have been irresponsible and selfish, but that doesn't mean we're not learning. Look at how much more conscientious we have become about our environment now, with "green" technology, Earth Days, voluntary cleanups, etc.

And, whether we like it or not, humanity will eventually--albeit in several centuries (I hope)--realize we need to become spacefarers because our sun is running out of fuel and/or acting erratically.

So, I think Mr. Bolden is trying to take positive steps toward space exploration and colonization in a practical, realistic way.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 02:00 AM   #7
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

varek wrote: View Post
So, I think Mr. Bolden is trying to take positive steps toward space exploration and colonization in a practical, realistic way.
I want you to be right, but realistically I just can't help but doubt. Bolden probably *is* trying to take positive steps. Let's see how long it is before the same backward governance and bureaucracy that has crushed every other administrator of NASA since Apollo crushes him, too.
Old April 24 2014, 02:01 AM   #8
urbandefault
Captain

If we are to become a spacefaring species, it will be up to the private sector to make it happen. NASA, in my opinion has lost its focus and its mission is being dictated by (edited for political correctness).

As for humanity's value to this planet, I would suggest to those who think that Earth would be better off without humans set the example and let the rest of us decide whether or not to follow.

(Note to the BBS: I am in no way advocating suicide, homicide, genocide, or any other -cide. Just making a point for the amusement factor.)

This planet was designed so that humanity can thrive. Just look around. If you don't see it, I can't help you.
Old April 24 2014, 02:28 AM   #9
Brolan
Commodore

Don't dump on NASA, they only have the money to spend that congress gives them. Once we got to the Moon congress has never allocated the money to do anything else amazing. It's just not a priority with the American people. We need to figure out a reason to make it one.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 02:32 AM   #10
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
This planet was designed so that humanity can thrive. Just look around. If you don't see it, I can't help you.
I won't touch the "designed" part of that, but I agree insofar as I think it is fair to say that if we go out into space, anything we find that isn't already claimed by a sentient species is ours. And there's no particular reason to regret any supposed taint from humanity's touch (or whatever similar human-hating notion is involved) if none of it has any other purpose than what we give it, anyway.
Old April 24 2014, 03:08 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

And, whether we like it or not, humanity will eventually--albeit in several centuries (I hope)--realize we need to become spacefarers because our sun is running out of fuel and/or acting erratically.
We have millions of years before changes in the sun's output will become a problem. Read a book.
Old April 24 2014, 04:21 AM   #12
Dukhat
Commodore

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Mars is already littered with our defunct robots. The moon landing sites are littered with bags of urine, junked cars and torn up platforms ... not to mention a couple crashed probes.

We are too irresponsible to take care of our own home planet, properly, so naturally, the solution is to do the same thing to as many other planets as we can get a foothold on ...
((...snicker))
"Littered?" Seriously? The amount of artificial objects on the Moon and Mars combined would fit in one Walmart store.
Old April 24 2014, 04:30 AM   #13
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
"Littered?" Seriously? The amount of artificial objects on the Moon and Mars combined would fit in one Walmart store.
When have you last been in a Walmart store. Every store literally is a mountain of trash.
Old April 24 2014, 04:33 AM   #14
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Yes, previous people have been irresponsible and selfish, but that doesn't mean we're not learning. Look at how much more conscientious we have become about our environment now, with "green" technology, Earth Days, voluntary cleanups, etc.
The latest IPCC reports states that we as a species are screwed unless HYDRA takes over the planet and enslaves us. So basically we haven't learned anything.

Every administrator says the same thing. Moon, Mars and some other stuff.
Old April 24 2014, 04:34 AM   #15
Yminale
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
If we are to become a spacefaring species, it will be up to the private sector to make it happen. NASA, in my opinion has lost its focus and its mission is being dictated by (edited for political correctness).
I have no problem with the 1% fleeing the planet to their perfect space colonies. I do have a problem with paying for it with my taxes. Hopefully the Russians get so mad at the West that they shoot down the ISS.