Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old April 22 2014, 10:09 PM   #16
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: 全tar Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Orci certainly knows the characters and universe, that's a huge plus. But is he the guy behind Spock yelling "Khaaaaan!" and Nero meeting V'ger in the comics? If so, that's probably an even bigger minus than his lack of directorial experience.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old April 22 2014, 10:22 PM   #17
The Creeper
Commodore

If I remember correctly he was against John Harrison being Khan, favored an original character instead but was overruled, so that earns him points in my book.

I wonder, if Abrams backs Orci could that force Paramount to give it to Orci?

Perhaps more telling would be Abrams NOT backing Orci. That could spell doom for Bad Robot as we know it, yes?
Old April 22 2014, 10:43 PM   #18
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I think Orci is better off leaving. He did two films already and should just let someone else take a shot at it. I didn't like his truther bullshit in a Trek, so having him possibly direct only crushes whatever optimism I had for TREK 3.
Old April 22 2014, 10:58 PM   #19
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Orci should get the gig, why not? He's been on the reboot creative team from day one and clearly wants the chance to prove the detractors wrong once and for all; he'll either succeed and Trek's future on its current model is assured, or he'll tank and spoil the 50th in the process and we'll be looking forward to a change in direction. As long as he sticks to the formula the studio would probably figure they'll at least make money in China, and it should be no skin off Abrams' nose since a success for Orci vindicates him by association, while a failure for Orci will stick to Orci alone and Abrams' golden record of Getting Out Before the #!&* Hits the Fan remains intact.

(As for Devin Faraci, people seem to overreact to him.)

Last edited by BigSnake; April 22 2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old April 22 2014, 11:25 PM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Ovation wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
Devin Faraci of Badassdigest.com doesn't want Orci to direct Star Trek 3, either.
Well, if Devin Faraci doesn't want it to happen, then I say:

OR-CI, OR-CI, OR-CI!!!!! YEAHHH!!!!
Indeed. Devin Faraci opposing something is almost the equivalent of a ringing endorsement.
Old April 22 2014, 11:46 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Perhaps more telling would be Abrams NOT backing Orci. That could spell doom for Bad Robot as we know it, yes?
No, because Orci doesn't work for Bad Robot anymore. Five years ago, he and Kurtzman founded their own production company, K/O Paper Products, which was a production partner with Bad Robot on Into Darkness. Bad Robot basically equals J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk. K/O has done a bunch of stuff that Abrams had nothing to do with, including Hawaii Five-0, Transformers: Prime, Cowboys and Aliens, Sleepy Hollow, Ender's Game, and possibly The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which Kurtzman & Orci cowrote. (Wikipedia lists that as a K/O Paper Products credit, but IMDb doesn't.)

These days, most executive producers have their own production companies, which I think are basically the producers themselves and their immediate staffs. So lots of shows and films are joint productions between multiple companies, which really just means multiple producers working together on a project. For instance, House M.D. was a co-production of Heel & Toe Films (Paul Attanasio & Katie Jacobs), Bad Hat Harry Productions (Bryan Singer), and Shore Z Productions (David Shore) along with NBC Universal Television. The more high-ranking producers on a show, the more vanity cards you'll see in its end credits.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old April 22 2014, 11:56 PM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It would be hilarious if he took the "Fuck off" attitude to the next level and just ruined the film for everyone out of spite. "It's MY Trek, and I you don't like it, then to hell with you!!!"
Old April 22 2014, 11:59 PM   #23
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

^ Well, that second sentence would probably happen, but not by way of the first. In his eyes he'd just be proving the validity of his artistic vision.
Old April 23 2014, 12:04 AM   #24
The Creeper
Commodore

Ah. Thanks, Chris.

Creating schisms is easy, it would be hilarious if he was given the job and produced a work which caused the Age Of Aquarius to Dawn among the Fanship.
Old April 23 2014, 12:11 AM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Honestly, making a film for yourself and not caring what the fans think is arguably the best way to make a good film that the fans will love. If you worry too much about pleasing other people, your work won't be as honest or meaningful or courageous as it will be if you just tell the story you feel you have to tell regardless of what anyone else thinks. The biggest mistake fans make is assuming that creators are obligated to do what the fans want. The best stories are those that show us something new, something we didn't realize we wanted until we saw it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old April 23 2014, 12:14 AM   #26
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Honestly, making a film for yourself and not caring what the fans think is arguably the best way to make a good film that the fans will love.
Assuming one's ideas are good, yes.
Old April 23 2014, 12:15 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Honestly, making a film for yourself and not caring what the fans think is arguably the best way to make a good film that the fans will love.
Assuming one's ideas are good, yes.
Whose the ultimate arbiter of whether an idea is good or not? Hugo?
Old April 23 2014, 12:18 AM   #28
HaplessCrewman
Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
From Slashfilm.com

The real news, however, is that Orci has been lobbying to direct Star Trek 3, which he is also writing with with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne. The report is that JJ Abrams and Bad Robot are in favor of him getting the job, as are David Ellison and Skydance Productions, the chief financiers.
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-3...#disqus_thread

Were this to happen, Orci's tumultuous relationship with fans would probably go to the next level.
It's almost worth it for that reason alone.

I can't think of a good reason why he shouldn't do it. He's clearly passionate about Trek and has been deeply involved in both films.
Agree completely.

I don't know what would be more entertaining - a really great trek film from him or a complete train wreck and the attendant fan outrage.
Old April 23 2014, 12:26 AM   #29
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I think even a great movie will spur enough fanrage from some quarters to keep the BBS busy for awhile.
Old April 23 2014, 12:35 AM   #30
HaplessCrewman
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I think even a great movie will spur enough fanrage from some quarters to keep the BBS busy for awhile.
I'd say that'd be a foregone conclusion.

I would love a Trek directed by Bryan Singer. Hopefully the troubles he is caught up in right now will be resolved by the time a decision needs to be made. Paramount is on a pretty tight timetable.