Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 22 2014, 04:41 AM   #706
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Is the Thing officially stone these days? Kirby originally intended his skin to be like dinosaur hide.

Not sure about gritty or grim but the FF was grounded in a sense. In addition to monsters, aliens and villains they also had to battle everyday problems like getting evicted or going broke.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 05:28 AM   #707
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

About a year ago, more, Valeria (Hickman) invented a potion that altered the Thing's Biology so that he becomes human for one day every year... But I have never heard that he is leather before. This seems quite odd to me.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 05:39 AM   #708
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
About a year ago, more, Valeria (Hickman) invented a potion that altered the Thing's Biology so that he becomes human for one day every year... But I have never heard that he is leather before. This seems quite odd to me.
Comic Book Legends covered it, scroll down to find the piece on the Thing.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old April 22 2014, 05:59 AM   #709
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh, of course I believe you, and of course I believe Kirby said that because you said Kirby said that... But I'm also kinda sure that everyone else in the last 50 years has thought that he was made of rock, right down to Mallrats...

[Upon meeting Stan Lee]
Brodie: The Thing! Is his dork made out of orange rock like the rest of his body?
Stan Lee: I don't know. It's a superhero secret.

Old April 22 2014, 06:02 AM   #710
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Oh, of course I believe you, and of course I believe Kirby said that because you said Kirby said that... But I'm also kinda sure that everyone else in the last 50 years has thought that he was made of rock, right down Mallrats...

[Upon meeting Stan Lee]
Brodie: The Thing! Is his dork made out of orange rock like the rest of his body?
Stan Lee: I don't know. It's a superhero secret.
I know I did. I was just wondering if there was an actual "confirmation" in the comics that Ben's skin was rocky.
Old April 22 2014, 12:44 PM   #711
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

The 60s Marvel cartoons... You know how south park animation is more like pupeteering than animation? That's what they did, they took cut outs from real marvel comics with a boxcutter, and then just stop motioned the comic art while super imposing animated mouths and blinking eyes

That said, it remains the most faithful adaptation of any Marvel comic source to date. The drama through voice work and the grand Capitol/KPM library music was a perfect fit for the stories--making MSM one of the few times where a production did not take broad liberties with the source, or suffer the nightmare of bad casting, etc.
Old April 22 2014, 03:31 PM   #712
Christopher
Writer

Here's an interview where Kinberg clarifies the tone of the movie:

http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...fantastic-four
It’s a much more grounded, gritty, realistic movie than the last couple movies. If I had to say, the tone of it would be somewhere on the spectrum between Spider-Man and Chronicle. The other movies were even further on the spectrum of being goofy and fun than Spider-Man.

Raimi Spider-Man?

Raimi Spider-Man, yeah, not Amazing Spider-Man. Josh Trank’s instincts are to be as realistic and grounded and real with this stuff as possible. In many ways I would say it’s definitely more of a drama than comedy.

Is that true to the comic books, because Fantastic Four is one of the lighter Marvel books?

It’s still in the direction of Spider-Man. It’s not like Dark Knight. And even Chronicle has a lot of fun in it. We’re treating this as the origin of the Fantastic Four so in future movies you’d have them on sort of splashier adventures to some extent but in this one we tried to ground the science as much as possible and make it feel like it could take place in our world before it cantilevers into other worlds.
That's somewhat more reassuring. Grounded but with a sense of fun. And starting out with a feel more like our world before expanding into the wilder stuff is pretty much the same strategy the MCU used to considerable success.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 09:37 PM   #713
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Considering the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver loophole that seems to be being exploited today and tomorrow, you would think that they would be looking for other exploitable twofers... To some people, the Fantastic Four is the Hulk, Spider-Man , Wolverine and Ghost Rider.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/full_im...1355516828.jpg

Hey, that's Sony, Marvel and 20th century fox working together or against each other!

How could that ever end up as anything less than a clusterfuck of backstabbing and spite?

Old April 22 2014, 10:47 PM   #714
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Hulk, GR, Spidey and Wolverine only appeared as the FF for that one 2-3 arc story right?
Was that ever duplicated, even once? Cause I find it funny even Marvel refers to that as an official iteration of the team.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:55 PM   #715
Aldo
Admiral

That's picture is a little old now. Ghost Rider is back with Marvel. Though I doubt we'll see Johnny Blaze show up in the MCU anytime soon.
Old April 22 2014, 11:07 PM   #716
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There have been several meet ups since then, randomly spread across the entire Marvel spectrum.

Old April 22 2014, 11:10 PM   #717
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
That's picture is a little old now. Ghost Rider is back with Marvel. Though I doubt we'll see Johnny Blaze show up in the MCU anytime soon.
Probably not, though it's possible that they'll use the likes of him or even Blade alongside Dr Strange, to create a supernatural sort of environment.
Old April 22 2014, 11:48 PM   #718
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They don't even have to use all of him.

Just have flaming tire tracks criss crossing all their movies and never explain it.

Oh!

In the comics, the new Ghost Rider, even though the old Ghost Rider is hanging out in Red Hulk's Thunderbolts, but the new Ghost Rider drives a ghost car with four flaming wheels.

Makes you wonder what other vehicles a ghost rider can ride?

A Ghost Helicopter with flaming rotor blades would be fantastic but imagine how ridiculous a Ghostjetski or a Ghostsnowmobile would be?

Old April 23 2014, 12:49 PM   #719
Aldo
Admiral

How about Ghost Rider starts working for SHIELD and he rides around in a Ghostheliccarier?
Old May 8 2014, 08:11 PM   #720
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Reg E. Cathey has been cast as Dr. Storm, father of Sue and Johnny Storm. Let the nerd rage commence.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote