Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 19 2014, 05:40 AM   #16
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: "Two Takes" Frakes

Lance wrote: View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that Frakes would have saved Nemesis. Because the script has certainly got the chemistry, it just needed a guy in charge who could harvest the best out of it.
The script was a piece of sh*t, as was the script for "Insurrection." There was no saving either one.
Old April 19 2014, 09:07 PM   #17
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Slightly OT, but in that vid, is it just the light, or is he going a bit thin on top?
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 09:40 PM   #18
Makarov
Commander

I don't care how old he is I still want a movie or series with Frakes as Captain or Admiral Riker. I would kickstart the heck out of that.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:45 PM   #19
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Quite aside from his making a name for himself in Hollywood, Jonathan and his actress wife Genie used to own a furniture store in Maine called "The Cherished Home", which I found interesting - and reassuring. NOT selling tacky, cheezy TREK-related merchandise, but instead, quality goods of an Earthly Origin!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-C...06099989418493
Old April 21 2014, 12:55 PM   #20
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I often wonder how "Nemesis" would've turned out if Frakes had directed.
"Better" comes immediately to mind.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 01:24 PM   #21
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I cannot view the video in the first post at work. Why did he get this nickname? - Is it as boring as "he gets it done in two takes or less" or is there a more interesting story behind it? Does anywhere have a full list of his directoral work? I am just asking because I recently watched and enjoyed Breaking Bad and I'd love it if he'd been involved in that!

Thanks.
Old April 21 2014, 01:32 PM   #22
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

imdb.com should have a listing of his directorial endeavors, separate from his appearances.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 03:47 PM   #23
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Quite aside from his making a name for himself in Hollywood, Jonathan and his actress wife Genie used to own a furniture store in Maine called "The Cherished Home", which I found interesting - and reassuring. NOT selling tacky, cheezy TREK-related merchandise, but instead, quality goods of an Earthly Origin!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-C...06099989418493
Not only am I an unabashed Jonathan Frakes fan, but I'm also a closet "General Hospital" fan, so I like Genie as well. I didn't know they made furniture (which ties into a third interest of mine), so I'm happy to learn about that.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:31 PM   #24
Lance
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that Frakes would have saved Nemesis. Because the script has certainly got the chemistry, it just needed a guy in charge who could harvest the best out of it.
The script was a piece of sh*t, as was the script for "Insurrection". There was no saving either one.
Insurrection has got a sh*t script, but at least Frakes himself was able to wrestle some chemistry out of the actors.

All those scenes between the regulars have got at least as much pizazz as anything we saw them do in the series, even though the story as written is so full of crap it's almost bursting the banks with it's own mediocrity.

End result: good job Frakes, bad job Rick Berman & Michael Piller.

By contrast, everybody in Nemeshit just looks so tired. Including the allegedly ageless android.

My point is that Nemesis goes wrong in it's delivery somewhere. The director squandered the chemistry which was apparent on the written page (and yes, Nemesis's script does do a good job of capturing that chemistry).

It's clear that the actors all spent a day listening to Stuart Baird blather on, and they just gave up.

I am confident that wouldn't have happened if Frakesy was still in the director's chair.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 11:38 PM   #25
2takesfrakes
Commodore

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Not only am I an unabashed Jonathan Frakes fan, but I'm also a closet "General Hospital" fan, so I like Genie as well. I didn't know they made furniture (which ties into a third interest of mine), so I'm happy to learn about that.
I, myself, have an interest in interior design. Genie Francis is such a sweetheart - and Jonathan Frakes couldn't have chosen better. He's aged a lot faster than she has, though ...

This is not an official site. It is in fact run by a fan of hers, but it's quite complete, as near as I can tell. What's more, she does offer a Gallery, containing assorted photos of various quality - including some of Genie and Jonathan huggin' & squeezin' ...

http://www.geniefrancis.com/
Old April 22 2014, 09:32 AM   #26
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

/\ Well, he is 10 years older than her, so that might have something to do with it.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:18 AM   #27
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Until now, you've been awefully quiet, WillsBabe! What are your thoughts, feelings, opinions and insights into Jonathan Frakes? Let's have it from a woman's perspective ...
Old April 22 2014, 03:03 PM   #28
bbailey861
Admiral

To be sure, when TNG first started I was not a fan of Frakes. Looking back, the only excuse I can offer is that when he walked, I thought he was trying too hard to mimic John Wayne's walk and being a fan of Duke, I thought he poking fun at both Duke and Star Trek and I didn't like it.

Anyway, all these years on, I have become a great admirer of both Jonathan Frake's work on TNG (other shows, too) and his ability to direct. Reading about him and listening to him convinced me that he really gave his best to Trek and tried to raise the bar on the quality of the franchise. His directing ability is also really quite good and the quality of his work is noticeable. I did not know that he directed an episode of Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. - I hope he gets a few more gigs. I really do enjoy that show. Finally, yes, he really should have directed Nemesis. I have no doubt that with his input - both in having some influence in making script adjustments and directing the cast - that the movie would have been far better.

Last edited by bbailey861; April 22 2014 at 06:46 PM.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 04:25 PM   #29
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Until now, you've been awefully quiet, WillsBabe! What are your thoughts, feelings, opinions and insights into Jonathan Frakes? Let's have it from a woman's perspective ...
LOL. No pressure, then! I wouldn't call myself a fan of Frakes, per se, although I do like his alter ego. I thought he did a great job with directing First Contact. There seemed to be a lot of him on the screen, even when he wasn't on screen, if that makes any sense. One of my favourite scenes in the whole of TNG is the bar scene in First Contact. I love how laid back he is in that scene. Other than that, there isn't much else I can tell you!

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 04:54 PM   #30
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought it was really disappointing that this stupid "Thunderbirds" movie killed his feature directing career. I really would have liked to see how he would have done with something more serious and similar to "First Contact" in tone in the feature world. Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't forgive big time flops like that unless you have a really big name.

He seems to have come to terms with being "relegated" to TV and is certainly very busy with that career but still, given his work on "First Contact" and what he still managed to get out of the weaker "Insurrection" script, it seems like wasting his talents.

It's still good to see that a few of the actors that went through the "Star Trek"-Director's school are still very successful in the TV business. Besides Frakes, Robert Duncan McNeil and Roxann Dawson have become very busy TV director's and often times directing producers like McNeil on all of "Chuck" and Dawson on the first season of "Scandal".
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote