Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 2 2014, 11:14 AM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: "Ahead, Space Normal Speed"

Elaas and Troyius both giving rise to intelligent life and advanced civilizations seems really far fetched if they're both in the same system or even the same binary or trinary system. Maybe one or both of the planets were seeded in the far past.
Old April 2 2014, 03:41 PM   #32
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
How can someone become "Commissioner" while being that much of an ass?
Honestly I don't think he was. He was genuinely concerned about the health of the plague victims in the New Paris colonies:

FERRIS: I remind you, Captain, I'm entirely opposed to this delay. Your mission is to get those emergency medical supplies to Makus Three in time for their transfer to the New Paris colonies.
KIRK: No problem, Commissioner. And may I remind you that I have standing orders to investigate all quasars and quasar-like phenomena wherever they may be encountered. Besides, it's three days to Makus. And the rendezvous doesn't take place for five.
FERRIS: I don't like to take chances. The plague is out of control on New Paris. We must get those drugs there on time.

KIRK: We have until 2823.8 to continue the search, Commissioner.
FERRIS: You don't really think you'll have any luck, do you?
KIRK: Look, these people are my friends and my shipmates. I intend to continue the ship's search for them until the last possible moment.

It's like "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many" for Kirk, while for Ferris it is "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

We are biased on behalf of our characters, while Ferris looks at the big picture and rather sacrifices 7 on behalf of 70 or 700 plague death victims, IMHO.

I think right from the start Kirk is somewhat too over-ambitious, that Quasar wouldn't have gone anywhere and there'd be a later opportunity to study it. And once things went south, Kirk would have probably been the one responsible, had they not recovered the survivors.

At least he immediately ordered "Warp factor one" after the Galileo survivors had been aboard.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 07:37 PM   #33
Vandervecken
Commander

http://trekcore.com/tos/hd/albums/1x...sevenhd055.jpg
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Honestly I don't think he was. He was genuinely concerned about the health of the plague victims in the New Paris colonies:

FERRIS: I remind you, Captain, I'm entirely opposed to this delay. Your mission is to get those emergency medical supplies to Makus Three in time for their transfer to the New Paris colonies.
KIRK: No problem, Commissioner. And may I remind you that I have standing orders to investigate all quasars and quasar-like phenomena wherever they may be encountered. Besides, it's three days to Makus. And the rendezvous doesn't take place for five.
FERRIS: I don't like to take chances. The plague is out of control on New Paris. We must get those drugs there on time.

KIRK: We have until 2823.8 to continue the search, Commissioner.
FERRIS: You don't really think you'll have any luck, do you?
KIRK: Look, these people are my friends and my shipmates. I intend to continue the ship's search for them until the last possible moment.

Bob
It wasn't just what he said and did, although holding Kirk to the exact second wasn't going to gain him any points with the audience. It was his facial expressions. From his face, it was clear he was relishing every opportunity to tell Kirk his crew and friends had to die (he said he didn't, but it was so obvious he did). He was smiling as he watched Kirk desperately trying to find the shuttlecraft.

Pushing around a starship captain was all that was really important to him--that's what I saw. And he absolutely didn't give a crap about Spock and the rest. Look at this guy!

Old April 2 2014, 10:08 PM   #34
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I don't judge people by their facial expressions but by their words and deeds.

To me it just seemed that Ferris was enjoying that the renowned starship Captain James Tiberius Kirk had made a mistake and was in a predicament to resolve the situation. More along the lines "See, I told you from the beginning it was a bad idea but you just wouldn't listen. I was right and you were wrong".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:17 AM   #35
Timo
Admiral

Indeed, it takes some doing for the audience to side with Kirk in this episode... The writers were clever enough to set this up as a rendezvous deadline, meaning that Kirk would win nothing by reaching his destination too early, and could thus at least initially defend his weird decision to stop for sightseeing. But it does make one wonder: if the crisis really were that severe, why could the Enterprise not take the medicine all the way?

I mean, we can postulate all sorts of good reasons why that other ship could not arrive earlier, or could not meet Kirk closer to Murasaki, because we know nothing about that ship or her mission. But we do know about Kirk's...

The only reason I can suggest is that Makus III is already relatively far away, yet the New Paris colonies are at the other edge of the universe, and Kirk won't be able to go that far, despite the fact that he often takes multi-hundred-lightyear side tours on his own account; the scheduled supply run is the only one Starfleet can afford to send for the multi-month trip, from Makus III onwards. But if New Paris is that far away, travel time -wise, then why not delay the departure of the supply ship by a few days, which represent only a fraction of the total time and won't mean much to anybody?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:43 AM   #36
Vandervecken
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I don't judge people by their facial expressions but by their words and deeds.

To me it just seemed that Ferris was enjoying that the renowned starship Captain James Tiberius Kirk had made a mistake and was in a predicament to resolve the situation. More along the lines "See, I told you from the beginning it was a bad idea but you just wouldn't listen. I was right and you were wrong".

Bob
I could understand if you'd stopped at deeds, but why not judge by body language and facial expressions as much as words? They tell a helluva lot about a person's motivations, as much if not more than words, which are frequently lies that are brought to light by such facial expressions and body language.

I don't disagree with your description of Ferris' motives that much, but how is that description laudable? He didn't care about the shuttlecraft crew, and he didn't really care about the plague victims either. He cared about getting his jollies from pushing around Kirk.
Old April 20 2014, 03:33 AM   #37
Spocktoberfest
Captain

This is a bit off the original post but relevant to discussing Kirk's attitude and body language of the Commissioner.

I don't really think Ferris was wrong about what he wanted but he did seem a little too much like he was enjoying Kirk's problem, saying he sympathizes with out and sympathy.

What I always thought was strange was the news they rescued five people and Kirk is just sooo happy, he didn't ask who. Uhura reamed out Spock when he didn't ask about one death, no one questions Kirk. I know it didn't happen, but could you even imagine the two that didn't return were Spock and Bones? Five survivors fits that, too.

While I like the episode, I think Space Normal Speed is just an artifact of this episode not being as good as it should have been.
Old April 20 2014, 10:32 AM   #38
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I'm more curious as to why Kirk only orders warp one after getting the shuttle crew back, since he dilly dallied his ass up to that point.
He just wants to really piss off Commissioner Ferris.
Pretty much like any politician manages it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 12:02 PM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
This is a bit off the original post but relevant to discussing Kirk's attitude and body language of the Commissioner.

I don't really think Ferris was wrong about what he wanted but he did seem a little too much like he was enjoying Kirk's problem, saying he sympathizes with out and sympathy.

What I always thought was strange was the news they rescued five people and Kirk is just sooo happy, he didn't ask who. Uhura reamed out Spock when he didn't ask about one death, no one questions Kirk. I know it didn't happen, but could you even imagine the two that didn't return were Spock and Bones? Five survivors fits that, too.

While I like the episode, I think Space Normal Speed is just an artifact of this episode not being as good as it should have been.
Five survivors whoever they are is better than none.

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I'm more curious as to why Kirk only orders warp one after getting the shuttle crew back, since he dilly dallied his ass up to that point.
He was obeying the letter of the order, and besides I suspect Kirk knew that his ship could easily make up some of the lost time. Sure the Enterrprise's top speed might be rated at Warp 7, but from experiance Kirk knew he could get Warp 7.5 or so.

Plus of course he could have been making a point to Ferris that he (Kirk) is the master of this ship.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 06:26 PM   #40
Timo
Admiral

...Also, from the treknological point of view, we must consider that Kirk had a warp-capable starship beneath his butt all along, yet chose to send mere shuttlecraft to survey the nearby star systems. He no doubt had a damn good reason for this - and we can guess the reason was that the big starship was at considerable risk when maneuvering inside or close to the Murasaki effect.

When Kirk gives the order to go to warp one, he's as close to Murasaki as he dares to, a few minutes of feet-dragging notwithstanding. Hitting warp six right there might rip the ship to confetti, or burn out her engines, or at the very least attract the attention of another magnetic sleigh ride of the sort that originally displaced the Galileo.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 03:28 AM   #41
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
John Crawford is reported as not enjoying his time on the show, and apparently had some sort of friction with Shatner on a personal level. So it's always made me wonder what Shatner did that was so repulsive to him. .
Interesting. I just thought that Crawford was really good at playing a-holes. Does anyone know if the reports of friction was true or not?
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:31 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore

If it was, so much the better--if his look of contempt was actual
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:10 PM   #43
ClayinCA
Commodore

Interesting tidbit about John Crawford: he later guest-starred in the Incredible Hulk episode "The Hulk Breaks Las Vegas," alongside Don Marshall, who played Boma in "The Galileo 7."
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote