Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 19 2014, 02:48 AM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: I rented "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" last night

Finally saw this on Netflix streaming this morning, and I loved it. Sure it wasn't the smartest movie, but I knew what it was going in, and it met those expectations excellently. It's just a big, kinda goofy, action movie. I was actually kind of surprised how much of it did actually pick up from the last one. I was also shocked by how big of a role Cobra Commander played here, I was expecting maybe just a quick cameo. This is only my second GI Joe experience, but from comments I saw when the movie came out, I've gotten the impression that this version of CC is much closer to what we see in other arms of the franchise?
I thought the cast in the first one was pretty good, but I honestly liked this cast better, so I really hope if we get a third one we at least get Roadblock, Lady Jaye, Gen. Colton, and Snake Eyes back. Flint and Jinx weren't really bad, they just didn't leave much of an impression.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 04:02 AM   #17
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it. Hell, as a child of the 80s I'm still amazed they made live-action GI JOE and Transformers films.
Old April 19 2014, 05:03 AM   #18
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I love the shit out of this movie. After struggling to get through Man of Steel, ASM, and even through the first act and a half of The Avengers, this film comes along and knows exactly what it wants to be.. it \pulls of the comic book tone. I've been a Joe fan all my life. I came home last summer from my father's funeral and rented this film.. and it offered me a brief escape of loud, comic book action when I really needed it!
Old April 19 2014, 05:26 AM   #19
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yeah, who cares about those assholes in London anyway?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 05:54 AM   #20
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

By the way, I have always had a soft spot for Jinx. She gets some more to work with in the extended cut.
Old April 19 2014, 06:29 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares about those assholes in London anyway?
Yeah, as a Anglophile, that made me sad, but in a move this OTT something like that doesn't bother me that much.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 09:35 PM   #22
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

"Rise of Cobra" was shit. "Retaliation" was shit sprayed with Febreeze. I could have done without watching either, but "Retaliation" was less objectionable...mainly because of a brief scene of Lady Jaye in spanks...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Maybe this makes me officially nerdy, but there is a scene in the Rise of Cobra that seems to be taken right from the cartoon.

Within a minute after being introduced (in the midst of combat) Scarlett is in a wee bit of trouble and runs behind a wall for cover. The wall is destroyed and she falls to the ground and is in a precarious situation wherein in a brutish Cobra NeoViper is looming over her. She tells him to look out and he doesn't "fall for it" and is taken out by her delayed arrow while she is still on the ground.

There is an episode called "The Viper is Coming" where this happens twice. At West Point, the Joes surround Cobra forces in their jeeps until someone shoots out their tires. Scarlett winds up on the ground and looking up a brutish Cobra soldier looking down at this once-proud-but-now-defenseless woman, and she tells him to look out behind him. He also doesn't "fall for it" when he is taken out by a soldier at West Point, whom she thanks for saving her.

A similar situation happens in the same episode where the elevator that the Joes are riding in is gassed, and when it opens, Scarlett, who is on the floor, finds herself looking up at a looming Destro.