Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 12 2014, 07:47 PM   #301
Salinga
Captain

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

I tried without interpolation, but it made objects while panning left/right or vice versa too blurry/appear twice. With interpolation they are sharp even during panning (I use plasma).
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 02:22 AM   #302
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The soap opera effect is godawful. Let's take film and make it look like local TV news.
Old April 13 2014, 06:03 AM   #303
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

This is the first time I've ever come across someone actually in favor of that feature, let alone two people.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 07:55 AM   #304
Robert Comsol
Commodore

One of my friends who usually comes every Monday for home theatre night asks me each time to switch off the "soap opera effect" of my Optoma HD front projector (well, we agree to a lower setting of the frame interpolation).

My reasoning on behalf of it:
  • Most of us are so conditioned to 24 fps that we don't appreciate a more natural 48+ fps representation
  • What the directors saw through their camera viewfinders were images with a higher frame rate than 24 fps
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 07:39 PM   #305
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I could see using it for sporting events, video games, things like that, but for a movie?

It's earned the name "soap opera effect" for a very specific reason.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 02:15 AM   #306
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Film is supposed to have jutter.
Old April 14 2014, 03:10 AM   #307
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I don't know how many directors watch what's being shot through a viewfinder. The ones I've seen are sitting in a chair sipping coffee. What they watch are the dailies, which is 24fps. 24fps is not a limitation, it is the way it is. If 48fps is "more natural", then audiences are not in agreement. Most of the reaction I read about the 48fps Hobbit was negative. "Looks like a video game"

First the talk was about chopping off part of the image to accommodate today's televisions, and now the talk is about fudging the frame rate to accommodate today's televisions. Yikes.

Last edited by jimbotron; April 14 2014 at 04:41 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 04:53 AM   #308
BeatleJWOL
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
If 48fps is "more natural", then audiences are not in agreement. Most of the reaction I read about the 48fps Hobbit was negative. "Looks like a video game"
Actually I was rather pleased with it; supposedly the frame rate change in that case was supposed to ease the burden that standard 24fps 3D film puts on the brain. In that case I think it succeeded, but I wouldn't want to see the 2D version presented that way.
Old April 14 2014, 07:39 AM   #309
Mage
Commodore

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
If 48fps is "more natural", then audiences are not in agreement. Most of the reaction I read about the 48fps Hobbit was negative. "Looks like a video game"
Actually I was rather pleased with it; supposedly the frame rate change in that case was supposed to ease the burden that standard 24fps 3D film puts on the brain. In that case I think it succeeded, but I wouldn't want to see the 2D version presented that way.
From what I understood, that's it exactly. The 48fps supposedly works best for 3D, while in a normal 2D movie, it would make things look weird and videogame like. Not sure about that myself, since 48fps isn't that big over here yet, haven't seen a movie like that myself.
Old April 14 2014, 09:45 AM   #310
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Let's not confuse footage that's actually shot and intended to be seen at a high framerate, which looks incredible, with footage that's shot at 24fps and then has a cheap TV scaler chip add a load of fake frames inbetween, which looks horrific. Jus' sayin'.
Start Wreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 05:27 PM   #311
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Let's not confuse footage that's actually shot and intended to be seen at a high framerate, which looks incredible, with footage that's shot at 24fps and then has a cheap TV scaler chip add a load of fake frames inbetween, which looks horrific. Jus' sayin'.
It's impossible to take a movie seriously when it looks like it was shot with an 80s video camcorder.
Old April 14 2014, 09:32 PM   #312
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Exactly. I went to see the Hobbit in 3D twice now knowing that it was shot at 48fps in 3D. All the other 3D films I've skipped, only to see "3D conversion by _____" in the credits? Haven't missed a thing. Same's true for framerate and motion smoothing.
Old April 22 2014, 04:10 AM   #313
mswood
Rear Admiral

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
It's spectacular in 2D 48 frames. With 2 exceptions.

Fast cut scenes, didn't look that great, and fake sets, really need huge level of detailing, otherwise the extra frames bring out the "fake ness" of movie making. For example, the worst set pieces were fake rocks. They looked well fake with 48 frames on 2D. But built wood sets, like a Bag End (which is an insanely detailed set, was really beautiful. But if you have exceptional detailing, or filming fully real things it was glorious.
Old April 25 2014, 05:29 AM   #314
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ All of ENT's effects were done in full HD from the get-go. Not 480-anything.
Yes I am sick and tired of the constant references to "Enterprise" getting released in HD, like it's some big achievement.

All it had to do was show up to the game.

The work needed to get DS9 and Voyager to HD quality is enormous compared to the work that has been done on TNG-R, and just go back a few years to see how most people were skeptical there would even *be* an effort to get it done.

I think TNG-R sales are waning due to the fact that, the novelty of seeing TNG in HD has worn out in 3 Seasons of watching "the same old" (but in "HD").

Personally I think they should have reimagined the FX a little more and given TNG a bit more snappiness. As it is right now, it's the exact same scenes, frame by frame, but "HD"
Old April 25 2014, 09:09 AM   #315
M
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Personally I think they should have reimagined the FX a little more and given TNG a bit more snappiness. As it is right now, it's the exact same scenes, frame by frame, but "HD"
Why "HD" in quotation marks? It is HD!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote