Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 31 2014, 05:44 AM   #16
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile
Re: Susan Gibney as Seven of Nine

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
What came first, the idea for the ratings boosting catsuit, or the acting chops of Jeri Ryan? That would answer all you need to know about that particular casting process.
I guess what came first was the inclination to add the Borg, any Borg, to play an integral role in the future path of the show. As in "isn't about damn time"!!!

The fact that it was a female borg that took the form of Jeri Ryan was strictly for the, uh, "elucidation" of all the punters that the show runners hoped to draw in.

The fact that this actress provided a top notch and nuanced performance over four seasons was the real treasure and the one that endures!!!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 06:29 AM   #17
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Originally they were going to add a boy Borg.

Would it have been a hot boy Borg? We do not know.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 12:43 AM   #18
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Perhaps, if he hadn't spent so many of his formative years amongst 'em as Seven had, we might have seen a less inhibited ex-drone who, at least occasionally while regenerating, would have been comfortable wearing speedos or some such Voyager holo-recreation type garb!!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 01:43 PM   #19
varek
Commander

I like Susan Gibney, but I think a better actress for Seven of Nine would have been Melinda Clarke!
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 06:31 PM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Drone wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
What came first, the idea for the ratings boosting catsuit, or the acting chops of Jeri Ryan? That would answer all you need to know about that particular casting process.
I guess what came first was the inclination to add the Borg, any Borg, to play an integral role in the future path of the show. As in "isn't about damn time"!!!

The fact that it was a female borg that took the form of Jeri Ryan was strictly for the, uh, "elucidation" of all the punters that the show runners hoped to draw in.

The fact that this actress provided a top notch and nuanced performance over four seasons was the real treasure and the one that endures!!!
teacake wrote: View Post

Would it have been a hot boy Borg? We do not know.
I HIGHLY doubt they would have put a male Seven of Nine into a skintight catsuit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
Candidate Vanessa Angel would've been the next best choice after Jeri.
Who is that?
The Lisa from TV's Weird Science becoming 7 of 9 actually has a pretty awesomely appropriate symmetry to it.

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 08:26 PM   #22
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I listened to a Podcast this week where they talked about this, and they even brought up Gibney as Janeway. I could see her as Janeway, but I just can't as 7. That would mean putting her in Borg make up to start out and considering we saw her as Leah and Bentine, that would be kind of strange.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 09:39 PM   #23
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
... and Mulgrew asked, "Have you SEEN that suit? How would I ever have got her out of it?"
With your teeth Kate, with your teeth.

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 01:09 AM   #24
Ro_Laren
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm trying to remember if I heard that before...
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 04:41 AM   #25
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I was never taken with Susan Gibney that much, though the producers seemed to love her and kept bringing her back. I'm sort of surprised they didn't fit her into Enterprise after all the auditions and parts she did for them.
Yes.
I found her acting............limited.
Old April 16 2014, 04:58 PM   #26
Vandervecken
Commander

exodus wrote: View Post
I was never taken with Susan Gibney that much, though the producers seemed to love her and kept bringing her back. I'm sort of surprised they didn't fit her into Enterprise after all the auditions and parts she did for them.
Yes.
I agree...but I have to wonder if we (and that includes me) are less than enthused by her acting ability entirely because she's a meh actor, or at least partly because she gave Geordi the cold shoulder. That was certainly understandable, as she (as Leah Brahms) was married, but our judgments of what guests do to or with our regular, comfortable characters aren't always informed by fairness.

Just wonderin'.
Old April 16 2014, 08:09 PM   #27
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Yes.
I agree...but I have to wonder if we (and that includes me) are less than enthused by her acting ability entirely because she's a meh actor, or at least partly because she gave Geordi the cold shoulder. That was certainly understandable, as she (as Leah Brahms) was married, but our judgments of what guests do to or with our regular, comfortable characters aren't always informed by fairness.

Just wonderin'.
I always figured that the reason Leah Brahms was a little cold was because of her annoyance towards Geordi vs. the acting ability of Susan Gibney.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 08:41 PM   #28
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Yes.

Just wonderin'.
For me, it has nothing to do with Leah Brahms or any of Gibney's Trek characters. I just don't think Gibney is the great actress the producers seemed to consider her to be.
Old April 16 2014, 09:05 PM   #29
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Susan Gibney would've looked awesome in those skin tight catsuits, and as Seven, she would've been alright. As she was so loved by the production people, she would've gotten alot of stuff to do, as well. But would she have been great? I suspect she would've been servicable as Seven, however because of her limited range, I don't doubt that she'd be even more susceptible to criticisms such as only having gotten the role because of her looks - her body. And I don't think she would ever truly rise above that. Again, though, there would be no Jeri Ryan to compare her to, I'm sure Susan would work out fine. It just would've been OK, having her there, though.
Old April 16 2014, 09:37 PM   #30
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

If Susan had been Seven, this thread would be about whether Jeri Ryan of Dark Skies would have been a better Seven.