RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,390
Posts: 5,505,272
Members: 25,129
Currently online: 523
Newest member: oorang

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old April 13 2014, 05:11 PM   #91
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Red nosed and loving it
 
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Timby wrote: View Post
Madison Bumgarner hit a grand slam last night.

Pitcher dingers own. Pitcher grand slams own more than almost anything else in baseball (especially when said pitcher goes like 15 rows deep to left-center at fucking AT&T).
I'm going to have to go look this up. Spent so much of yesterday out dealing with a car issue that I had to skip the games and Sportscenter as well. Looks like I picked a bad day to do that.
__________________
Captain Ice is now Captain Stoned. - KM
You are too straight to be a floral designer. - da Bunny

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is offline  
Old April 13 2014, 05:16 PM   #92
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

It was pretty sweet.
Timby is offline  
Old April 14 2014, 02:30 AM   #93
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Justin Upton is having his usual MVP April. Maybe he can try and give us a whole season of this for a change. That being said Freddie Freeman is off to a great start on earning his mega contract while Aaron Harang is turning out to be a great placeholder while we wait for Minor and Floyd. I'm a little curious as to why the Braves acquired Ryan Doumit. That leaves the Braves carrying three catchers and only one reserve outfielder (Jordan Schafer).

It also helps when the Nationals somehow turn into the Bad News Bears when they play Atlanta.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old April 14 2014, 02:57 AM   #94
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral
 
Ru ru, chu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Aaaaaaand...Cervelli is hurt.

<Gilbert Gottfried>
Son...of...a...BITCH!
</Gilbert Gottfried>
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Ru ru, chu is online now  
Old April 14 2014, 02:41 PM   #95
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Aaaaaaand...Cervelli is hurt.

<Gilbert Gottfried>
Son...of...a...BITCH!
</Gilbert Gottfried>
Solarte playing hurt, Cervelli hurt, Jeter already sitting, Roberts hurt, Teixeira on the DL.

It's like Christmas in April.
Timby is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 12:07 PM   #96
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but consider the posts reposted where everyone pointed out that old, injured players were likely to get injured, and Yanks vehemently denied it and said they'd all be fine and back to career numbers.

And you forgot McCann, who just got xrays on his hand. And Robertson on the DL. On the plus side, Roberts has already been upright longer than expected. Batting .129 with no power, but upright.

Edit: of course, when I googled to check his numbers, first result was that he was getting an MRI for a sore back, so...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 02:54 PM   #97
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but consider the posts reposted where everyone pointed out that old, injured players were likely to get injured, and Yanks vehemently denied it and said they'd all be fine and back to career numbers.

And you forgot McCann, who just got xrays on his hand. And Robertson on the DL. On the plus side, Roberts has already been upright longer than expected. Batting .129 with no power, but upright.

Edit: of course, when I googled to check his numbers, first result was that he was getting an MRI for a sore back, so...
Yanks dnied any reason that Tex shouldn't have a healthy season. Yanks also said that Ells' injuries were more fluck and habitual.

Cervelli is old?

Moore is now getting TJ surgury... it's not just "the old" that get banged up. Every team deals with it every year, but any time the Yankees get a zit it will be all over the news.

It was interesting seeing Beltran play 1st base though... even funnyier hearing him talk about it.
__________________
Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here..
Yanks is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 03:00 PM   #98
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Hey, the Yankees didn't lose or get hurt last night
__________________
Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here..
Yanks is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 04:17 PM   #99
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Yanks wrote: View Post
Yanks dnied any reason that Tex shouldn't have a healthy season. Yanks also said that Ells' injuries were more fluck and habitual.

Cervelli is old?

Moore is now getting TJ surgury... it's not just "the old" that get banged up. Every team deals with it every year, but any time the Yankees get a zit it will be all over the news.

It was interesting seeing Beltran play 1st base though... even funnyier hearing him talk about it.
Tex was talking about his sore (repaired) wrist before things even started, how it'd never be back to normal, etc. Not a great omen, even though it's his hammy that went first.

Ellsbury, we'll see. Really always been impact injuries vs. soft tissue, so can't really blame him. It's more the crazy contract for a guy with out outlier year rather than an injury risk. Definitely doesn't fight through them when they DO happen, though. For 15M/year, would have been happy enough with him, at 22M and for 7 years, tough to swallow. Feels like the 20M+ contracts should be for the real 5-tool guys that can hit 20+ HRs in addition to the rest, otherwise it's a Crawford contract, and that didn't pan out well for the Sox (and now the Dodgers).

Roberts was completely expected, anyone that saw 2005 Brian Roberts playing for the Yankees was on crack. Old, hurt, and hadn't played a full season since like 2009.

And yeah, it's not JUST age, injuries happen whenever. It's just that old players don't bounce back, heal slower, and get hurt more.

Biggest knock is that there is ZERO depth on that team. With the very first injury, your newly signed RF (for 15M/year) is playing out of position at 1B. Never even heard of the guys manning SS, and we knew 3B was a black hole before we started, right?

Aside from the pen, pitching has been ok so far, CC's a big question mark still, though.

Tough to just hand-wave past this, as a certain amount HAD to be expected, and there's just NO ONE on the bench or in the minors to plug the holes. So when the expected happens, it's a tough spot.

So, we were yankees haters for pointing it out in the offseason, and by tax day, we're already proven right. And we haven't even gotten into the 'real' injuries yet, still dipping a toe in the 'sore back', 'tight hammy', and 'need a breather' days...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 04:20 PM   #100
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

From 2009-2012 I had to hear about how the Phillies fans were the best in the world and heard constant mocking about how Braves fans couldn't fill a stadium. It was nice to see a half empty stadium in Philly when Uggla hit his game winning grand slam. Fair weather fans get on my nerves.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Martian by Andy Weir
Currently Watching: The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS:NO, Law & Order: SVU, Stalker, American Horror Story, and Bones
Starbreaker is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 04:58 PM   #101
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Scout101 wrote: View Post
So, we were yankees haters for pointing it out in the offseason, and by tax day, we're already proven right. And we haven't even gotten into the 'real' injuries yet, still dipping a toe in the 'sore back', 'tight hammy', and 'need a breather' days...
Basically, the only time I'm going to feel sorry for Yankees injuries is if another one of them flies into a building.

In non-AL East news, holy dingers:

Timby is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 05:01 PM   #102
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
From 2009-2012 I had to hear about how the Phillies fans were the best in the world and heard constant mocking about how Braves fans couldn't fill a stadium. It was nice to see a half empty stadium in Philly when Uggla hit his game winning grand slam. Fair weather fans get on my nerves.
This captures the moment quite well.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-fans-re...-am-1563288296
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 05:16 PM   #103
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Biggest knock is that there is ZERO depth on that team. With the very first injury, your newly signed RF (for 15M/year) is playing out of position at 1B. Never even heard of the guys manning SS, and we knew 3B was a black hole before we started, right?
...and those folks seem to be doing pretty well. If I learned anything last year is that "has-beens" and no-name rookies can do OK. Hell, we won 85 games in the AL East last year with bandaids and chewing gum, without Pineda and Tanaka...

3rd base wasn't all a "black hole"... Kelly Johnson is no slouch... not a A-Roid in his prime, but he'll do.

Aside from the pen, pitching has been ok so far, CC's a big question mark still, though.
The pen did more than OK against the defending world champions.

And like I've said, CC reinventing himself will take some time... I watched the whole game on Friday, he really pitched well aside from a couple pitches that weren't missed by the batters.

Tough to just hand-wave past this, as a certain amount HAD to be expected, and there's just NO ONE on the bench or in the minors to plug the holes. So when the expected happens, it's a tough spot.
No one said a "certain amount" wasn't expected, but did you expect Robertson to go down? I just hope Jeter isn't being rested or worse when I go to the Bronz to see my Bombers play the Reds in July.

YES, I'M GOING TO THE PALACE!!!

So, we were yankees haters for pointing it out in the offseason, and by tax day, we're already proven right. And we haven't even gotten into the 'real' injuries yet, still dipping a toe in the 'sore back', 'tight hammy', and 'need a breather' days...
Probably makes you feel good, predicting the obvious and all.

It will be fun when this infield with no range, playing on crutches makes the play-offs.

Everytime I hear someone mention money while talking about the Yankees I just shake my head... they could spend 400M on a team...

Guess the Dodgers are the "evil empire" now, eh?
__________________
Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here..
Yanks is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 05:18 PM   #104
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Timby wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
So, we were yankees haters for pointing it out in the offseason, and by tax day, we're already proven right. And we haven't even gotten into the 'real' injuries yet, still dipping a toe in the 'sore back', 'tight hammy', and 'need a breather' days...
Basically, the only time I'm going to feel sorry for Yankees injuries is if another one of them flies into a building.

In non-AL East news, holy dingers:
I don't even feel sorry for the Yankees...

...and no kidding... they aren't even done yet?

Watch the rest of the game be a no hitter
__________________
Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here..
Yanks is offline  
Old April 15 2014, 11:27 PM   #105
Poinsettia
Commodore
 
Poinsettia's Avatar
 
Location: Hanging around
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
From 2009-2012 I had to hear about how the Phillies fans were the best in the world and heard constant mocking about how Braves fans couldn't fill a stadium. It was nice to see a half empty stadium in Philly when Uggla hit his game winning grand slam. Fair weather fans get on my nerves.
And bandwagoners, don't forget the bandwagoners...
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
From 2009-2012 I had to hear about how the Phillies fans were the best in the world and heard constant mocking about how Braves fans couldn't fill a stadium. It was nice to see a half empty stadium in Philly when Uggla hit his game winning grand slam. Fair weather fans get on my nerves.
This captures the moment quite well.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-fans-re...-am-1563288296
I loved that lady with the frizzy hair, the expressions on her face.


In other news, tonight's game is PPD.
__________________
~Pondwater

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Poinsettia is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.