Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: Your favorite Picard love interest?
Dr. Beverly Crusher 18 40.91%
Lt. Com. Nella Darren 10 22.73%
Kamala 1 2.27%
Vash 13 29.55%
Minuet 0 0%
Marta Batanides 1 2.27%
A.F. 0 0%
Eline from Inner Light 3 6.82%
Jenice Manheim 0 0%
Phillipa Louvois 5 11.36%
Tasha Yar 0 0%
Anij 2 4.55%
Q 3 6.82%
Riker 0 0%
Other 2 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10 2014, 02:47 AM   #16
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Re: Your favorite Picard love interest?

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Vash
When I saw this thread pop up, I knew you'd post sooner or later.
It was a pretty safe bet. I do love the Picard/Vash 'ship.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old April 10 2014, 01:17 PM   #17
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Assimilation seems like a pretty close relationship to me.

The Borg.
I know some people reach for items missed in polls but the Borg as a love interest? What part did Picard love, the assimilation, the servitude, or how he was used to kill hundreds if not thousands of starfleet officers?
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Vandervecken
Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Assimilation seems like a pretty close relationship to me.

The Borg.
I know some people reach for items missed in polls but the Borg as a love interest? What part did Picard love, the assimilation, the servitude, or how he was used to kill hundreds if not thousands of starfleet officers?
Makes at least as much sense as Riker and Q. Picard was not gay or bi. So including them on the list vitiates the meaning of "love interest"---as commonly understood in everyday parlance, the phrase "love interest" means a romantic love interest. If Picard loved Riker like a son or brother or combination of the two, that doesn't fit, and he certainly had no romantic interest in him.

And Q? What's he doing in this poll? Picard may have had all kinds of mixed emotions regarding Q, but in no way was "love" part of what I saw.

But the Borg--Picard was actually one of them, if "one" has a meaning when discussing the Borg. It may even be that his intense hatred of them stems, in part, from some self-knowledge in which he knows that he liked or even loved being part of the collective (once he was free of the collective and could once again like anything as an individual at all).
Old April 11 2014, 01:12 AM   #19
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Makes at least as much sense as Riker and Q. Picard was not gay or bi. So including them on the list vitiates the meaning of "love interest"---as commonly understood in everyday parlance, the phrase "love interest" means a romantic love interest. If Picard loved Riker like a son or brother or combination of the two, that doesn't fit, and he certainly had no romantic interest in him.

And Q? What's he doing in this poll? Picard may have had all kinds of mixed emotions regarding Q, but in no way was "love" part of what I saw.

But the Borg--Picard was actually one of them, if "one" has a meaning when discussing the Borg. It may even be that his intense hatred of them stems, in part, from some self-knowledge in which he knows that he liked or even loved being part of the collective (once he was free of the collective and could once again like anything as an individual at all).
Riker I get, love like a brother, and as for Q, ask jibrilmudo, but saying Picard (or Locutus at the time) loves the Borg because he "may" have enjoyed it but didn't know it is a straw man's argument.

Also, if Picard did have a thing for Q, it wouldn't be gay. Q isn't a guy. Technically, these two girls are Q.

Old April 11 2014, 01:33 AM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

^ Those aren't Qs, those are Q tease.
Old April 11 2014, 01:36 AM   #21
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Also, if Picard did have a thing for Q, it wouldn't be gay. Q isn't a guy. Technically, these two girls are Q.

Those aren't Qs, those are Q tease.
^Ha ha.

Last edited by bbjeg; April 11 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old April 11 2014, 01:44 AM   #22
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Jean Luc had more "loves" than I realized, but they're still surprisingly few. Was this because he was viewed more as a Father Figure, and nobody wanted to see him getting horny? Did it have to do with not having Picard invade Riker's "territory" as the acknowledged onboard studd? Were hot, young, rising starlets resistant to making out with Patrick Stewart? Or, perhaps, combinations of all three? I know in Real Life, Sir Stewart is a big time Sugar Daddy. Women do love money ...
Old April 11 2014, 01:54 AM   #23
Armored Saint
Captain

In Qpid: This human emotion, love, is a dangerous thing, Picard, and obviously you are ill-equipped to handle it. She's found a vulnerability in you. A vulnerability I've been looking for for years. If I had known sooner, I would have appeared as a female. Mark my words, Picard, this is your Achilles heel.

That was before the Daddy Q, Mommy Q, Little Q and Grandma Q.
Armored Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 02:06 AM   #24
2takesfrakes
Commodore

As I recall, Vash then unloaded on Q, whilst also informing him that what he saw as Picard's weakness, was actually one of his great strengths. Again, it's been a while since I saw this gem, but I have the distinct impression she piped up and gave Q an earful about that ...
Old April 11 2014, 02:56 AM   #25
Vandervecken
Commander

Riker I get, love like a brother, and as for Q, ask jibrilmudo, but saying Picard (or Locutus at the time) loves the Borg because he "may" have enjoyed it but didn't know it is a straw man's argument.

Seriously? If John De Lancie and Patrick Stewart had ended up in bed in an episode of TNG, you'd have said that was technically not a gay relationship? I can just see the audience reacting that way.

The OP wrote:

Riker: Yeah, guy driven to become a star ship captain now turns down 3 promotions to captain, what is up? Of the women on this list, flirted with Minuet, kissed by Kamala, hit on Vash, and was essentially propositioned by Q (to become Q), seems Riker wants to second to Picard in other areas too

How shall we interpret that? And if it seems as what it is, how does this make sense in light of what we know as either man's sexual preference, as portrayed in the actual show?

Yeah, I'll admit the Borg's a stretch; but so are these. Given what we know about the seductive nature of the Borg collective to ex-drone 7 of 9, is it so unreasonable to suggest that Picard is similarly drawn to the Borg--in a way, a marriage of all to all (or unending Vulcan mind meld of all to all)?
Old April 11 2014, 03:53 AM   #26
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
^ Those aren't Qs, those are Q tease.
That was good!

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
As I recall, Vash then unloaded on Q, whilst also informing him that what he saw as Picard's weakness, was actually one of his great strengths. Again, it's been a while since I saw this gem, but I have the distinct impression she piped up and gave Q an earful about that ...
You are quite correct, sir.

After dueling with and dispatching Sir Guy, Picard races up to the tower where Vash is being held. We hear him dispatching one (maybe two) guard(s) outside before bursting into the room.

Vash crosses the room to him and sighs, “Jean-Luc.”

Picard pulls her into a kiss. With Vash still in his arms he calls out, “It's over, Q! Get us out of here.”

He throws his sword to the ground.

Appearing in the window alcove, Q claps. “My compliments, Picard. I doubt Robin Hood himself could have done much better.”

Picard begins to warn Q, “If you have hurt any of my people,”

Q cuts him off, “Sadly enough, they're all fine, but my point is they could have been killed, and so might have you. All for the love of a maid. My debt to you, Picard, is paid. If you've learned how weak and vulnerable you really are, if you finally see how love has brought out the worst in you.”

“Nonsense. You're absolutely wrong. It's brought out the best in him.” Vash tells Q. Still standing in Picard's arms, she gazes up at the captain and continues, “His nobility, courage, self-sacrifice, tenderness.”

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old April 11 2014, 12:04 PM   #27
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thank you, Whoa Nellie! Also, for reminding us about Picards fair bit of rescuing. Yes, he wasn't about to let Vash out of his arms, not even to chew Q, himself, out! That ... that's The Power of Love, right there. I like her carefully considered highlights of Picard's best qualities, as well. He's a Class Act, all the way! Chivalry is not dead in the 24th Century - it seems to have made a sort of a comeback, thanks to Jean Luc Picard: Renaissance Man.
Old April 11 2014, 02:52 PM   #28
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Thank you, Whoa Nellie! Also, for reminding us about Picards fair bit of rescuing. Yes, he wasn't about to let Vash out of his arms, not even to chew Q, himself, out! That ... that's The Power of Love, right there. I like her carefully considered highlights of Picard's best qualities, as well. He's a Class Act, all the way! Chivalry is not dead in the 24th Century - it seems to have made a sort of a comeback, thanks to Jean Luc Picard: Renaissance Man.
You're Welcome.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old April 11 2014, 07:50 PM   #29
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seriously? If John De Lancie and Patrick Stewart had ended up in bed in an episode of TNG, you'd have said that was technically not a gay relationship? I can just see the audience reacting that way.
Hey, it happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_0dgKgSDgo
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 08:07 PM   #30
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Anij from Insurrection. They totally looked at things in slow-motion together, how do you beat that?

(I voted Vash, of course. )