Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 28 2014, 01:36 AM   #16
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Re: Nine years ago today

Makes me miss Eccleston and angry that he didn't come back for the 50th so we could see him again, but let's not open that can of worms.

I saw it on SciFi when it premiered. I was in college. I remember being excited to give this iconic property a shot, and then disappointed in the silly CGI, the plastic people, and the horrid early 90's video quality (with the light halos around everything). But I liked The Doctor. I liked his energy. So I stuck with it, even through the Slitheen episodes.

I'm glad I did. There's been some rough spots and both showrunners have had their annoying quirks, but the show is really humming along now, with confidence and style. It's come a long way.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 02:05 AM   #17
Iamnotspock
Captain

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I think I watched the first story online, and remember not being overly impressed. It was pretty rough around the edges, and had a pretty weak ending. But despite silliness like the burping garbage bin, I was pleased that the new writers obviously knew and cared about the shows history and weren't trying to "re-imagine" the program. And Chris was certainly likeable enough, despite his intimidating appearance.
Pretty much exactly my feeling too. Equal parts elation and disappointment. Thankfully it got better!

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
If memory serves there was a bit of a cock-up where during the first few seconds they ad not turned off the audio feed from the previous programme. So you could hear that.
Yes, from Graham Norton on the programme before, but I can't recall what that programme was. Any one recall?
Strictly Dance Fever. The main show was on before Who, and then there was a supplementary programme on BBC3 during Who, and I believe the fault made the audio from that bleed through onto BBC1.

Something very similar happened again five years later;

Individually, these foul-ups were annoying. Together, with the fact that neither one was Norton's personal fault, they're quite amusing. I remember an angry thread on another forum after The Time of Angels went out, titled Norton Does It Again!
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 01:09 AM   #18
Steve Roby
Commodore

When Rose premiered, my wife Laura and I were ready. We'd both seen a few classic episodes way back when before we met, and in 2001 I'd started seriously getting into Doctor Who, so we were watching classic episodes and listening to Big Finish audios, and I was reading books and magazines and online forums.

One surprise for us was Eccleston's performance. We'd seen him in several TV shows and movies. He was best known for doing intense dramatic stuff, and he did it very well. We hadn't seen him do anything like his portrayal of the Doctor. But he was still good, we loved the "lots of planets have a north," we liked the speed and energy of it. The bin and the fake Mickey we weren't so sold on, but we liked the fact that the show was setting out to be fun. There are many things I like about the 1996 TV movie, but it was short on fun and long on things that don't mean anything to new or casual viewers.

The first season wasn't perfect, but it was much, much better at working out what it wanted to be than TNG was in its early years. And much more likely to be rewatched in this house.

The one consequence of the new Who's success that still strikes me funny is that I can walk around Ottawa and see people I don't know wearing Doctor Who t-shirts and having conversations about it -- from teenagers to people of my own advanced years. It's common and ordinary to talk about Doctor Who with people at work or at the comic shop or at the pub, my inlaws, etc. Back in 2001 I was just happy that I had 26 years of TV Who and a lot of books and whatnot to dive into; I never would have expected a new series, much less that it would be so popular.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 02:32 AM   #19
DWF
Vice Admiral

I'm a member of the Doctor Who Columbus fan club and we saw the show as a group, we saw the leaked ep. of Rose and I remember thinking how short it was. And I really remember how good Billie Piper was seeing how she was described as the British version of Brittany Spears, but she turned out to be rather good. And I was alittle impressed by the new console room since it was a huge set. The whole series was upgraded, but as I said it felt very short a mere 45 minutes.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
I'm a member of the Doctor Who Columbus fan club and we saw the show as a group, we saw the leaked ep. of Rose and I remember thinking how short it was. And I really remember how good Billie Piper was seeing how she was described as the British version of Brittany Spears, but she turned out to be rather good. And I was alittle impressed by the new console room since it was a huge set. The whole series was upgraded, but as I said it felt very short a mere 45 minutes.
As a child (like I was at the time), 45 minutes felt long enough and much longer probably would have been too long for a child, and I'm pretty sure children and families were the main target audience for the show at that time. How things change as you get older. :P
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2014, 02:53 AM   #21
DWF
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
As a child (like I was at the time), 45 minutes felt long enough and much longer probably would have been too long for a child, and I'm pretty sure children and families were the main target audience for the show at that time. How things change as you get older. :P
The original series was a serial show and the eps. were roughly about 25 minutes long. But the stories were longer and while I originally saw the show in it's original format it was changed to the omobus format and really 45 minutes felt pretty short.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 07:23 AM   #22
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

The original series was a serial show and the eps. were roughly about 25 minutes long. But the stories were longer and while I originally saw the show in it's original format it was changed to the omobus format and really 45 minutes felt pretty short.
Yeah, that took some getting used to. Early on the show had a real problem with pacing and a lot of stories felt rushed. They did get better in later seasons though.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 07:41 AM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

Sparky wrote: View Post
^^^That's an awful teaser. If I was new to Dr Who at the time, that would have turned me off of it completely.

Perhaps, but remember it was 16 years (except for 1 TV Movie) since DW had last been on screens. So all those children who watched DW as akid were now adults. So you would have a certain nostalgia factor of those who watched it asa kid tuning in now with their kids.

As for first episode "Rose" these were it's figures

10.81m viewers
44.3% audiance share
3rd most watched BBC One programme of the week
7th Most watched show in the UK that week
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 11:26 AM   #24
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Great stuff, though I didn't see the episode until Sci-Fi aired it in the US (probably months later, I don't remember when exactly). I had heard of Doctor Who and seen a random episode here and there of the old show on my local PBS, but when I saw commercials for the show and saw the praise for the show here I decided to give it a shot since it started the week after the season finale of Battlestar Galactica and I wanted some sci-fi show to watch.

I fell in love with the show from the first episode. I also started watching the old show on my local PBS on Saturday night and got to see most of the 4th, 5th, 6th and the 7th Doctors run before they stopped showing old episodes.

Although I prefer Tennant and Smith to Eccleston he still did a great job as the Doctor and really helped sell the show. The show was obviously quite a bit different from Battlestar Galactica, but it was a lot of fun and a little bit cheesy, while still being able to have big and serious moments.

Since then Doctor Who has pretty much become my favorite show on TV. The fact that they often change out the actors though regeneration and new companions keeps the show fresh for me.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 07:08 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

Well to be fair changing cast does happen in some other long running shows i.e Law & Order.

So you might not be fond of the current Doctor and/or companion(s) but in a few years it changes to a new Doctor and/or companion(s)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote