Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Looks great. I forgot how goofy those Cardassian headsets looked. I'm glad DS9 retconned them out of existence.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm also glad they changed those Cardassian costumes. The original ones made them look like armadillos or something. The ones in DS9 were way better.

3. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say: The remastered footage looks pretty red-ish to me. :)

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The picture clarity is incredible. But you're right. It goes from being way too yellow to being way too red.

5. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

It's funny both of you should say that. It has always seemed to me like the new colour timing emphasises the reds too much. Ever since I watched EaFP have I thought this. But so far when I have mentioned this to others everyone has always said it's just me. In particular I have noticed this with skin tones. When has it seemed too red for you?

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I too have noticed the red-tint to the remastered job. For me, it's not really noticeable unless doing a direct comparison, and in either case it's far better than anything we've ever had before. and it's better than the dreaded teal/orange shift that usual happens on these types of remaster projects.

7. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, they push the saturation a little too far in places for my liking, but it's not enough to spoil things. Contrast and blacks are also pushed a bit too far in some places.

8. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

No it certainly doesn't spoil things but it is fairly noticable at times. However, the picture quality remains a total marvel to me and I can't repeat enough how much it has enhanced my viewing experience.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just be thankful it didn't get the teal/orange treatment that a majority of the industry seems to love right now.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Although I've been very happy w/ the project, I do wish they had timed it to look like films of that era, instead of modern stuff.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I much prefer the colors to the yellowish tint of SD. I always adjusted it that way on my tv, now its just easier.

12. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'm usually one that demands the restoration of films to stay true to the original color timing. Didn't bother buying THE MATRIX on blu-ray as the Wachowskis tinkered with it. Same with Lucas on the STAR WARS TRILOGY. However, in thee case of TNG, I'm totally cool with the new color timing because the old SDs always looked pretty ugly with the limitations of color on video and I don't think any of the DOPs would ever claim those old tape masters are what they always wanted the show to look like. I can understand wanting to keep the old color pallet as a preference though, as the SD versions are what TNG really looked like for over 25 years. Still, if you wanna watch the shows as they were originally seen, they'd probably look pretty decent on CRT television sets. :p I'm actually not giving up the DVD sets, because I feel they're just as important as the new HD versions. They are what aired on television many years ago, so that makes them special.

13. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. Hober Mallow

LOL at the sinister music playing at 3:20 while Geordi gets ready for Leah. :)

15. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

The screenshots from "Night terrors" have been released, so here's the next observations article. I love all those new graphics of various chemical compounds.

"Night terrors" observations at EAS

16. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure how my eyes caught this. I was watching Data's Day and when Data is feeding Spot, I noticed a small bug inside the food dish. It was moving around a bit. It's brief but it's there for sure. This HD treatment can be awful at times!

17. Hober Mallow

It's an alien.

18. gaghyogi49

19. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great stuff!

Second to last screenshot, though - why (and, indeed, how) does a new CGI shot of the Enterprise have a massive matte line around the top of the saucer?! :cardie:

20. gaghyogi49

No idea how that happened... All I can say is that when CBS-D redid this shot for "Ethics", using a new new CG model of the Enterprise, the result looks flawless.