Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 2 2014, 05:46 AM   #16
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Re: Replicator and Sonic Shower basics

^^
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry

Last edited by HIjol; April 2 2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Duplicate
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:47 AM   #17
HIjol
Fleet Captain

^^ I do think T is on to something regarding the relative effect of the whole thing...however, you do raise a good question, Drone, in reference to the whole "after-shower" experience...I suppose it would be up to the showeree...

...perhaps the subject of another thread, but might I just muse a bit on personal products in the time of the Federation?!

"Hyper Hair Spray...for a hold that will take you from Hydroponics to Stelar Cartography"
I am thinking here that we have a tie-in with Facial-Hair Riker?!?!

"Ferengi Floss...if it works for them, imagine how clean YOUR gums will be!"
Tie-in: Quark for the Grups, Nog for the kids?...flavors and thicknesses TBD...

"Worf Warnog Wash...we're not sure what Klingons use it for, but, Damn!"
Any number of tie-ins and uses here...the mind boggles...klips of K'Ehleyr?

Ok...ya'all contribute!...have a laugh...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry

Last edited by HIjol; April 2 2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Computer presuming to spell for me!...cheeky!
Old April 2 2014, 06:34 PM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

HIjol wrote: View Post
"Worf Warnog Wash...
Swimming is too much like BATHING !!!!

A true Klingon never cleans himself, thereby preserving his natural masculine scent.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:47 PM   #19
HIjol
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
HIjol wrote: View Post
"Worf Warnog Wash...
Swimming is too much like BATHING !!!!

A true Klingon never cleans himself, thereby preserving his natural masculine scent.

...smiling, I stand corrected!
Old April 2 2014, 08:54 PM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Klingons may not like to bathe, but I'm sure they still shower. There's no "honor" in stinking up the room.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 01:22 AM   #21
Albertese
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Klingons may not like to bathe, but I'm sure they still shower. There's no "honor" in stinking up the room.
Then what was that stench someone wanted to cloak in Star Trek IV?

--Alex
Old April 3 2014, 03:34 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ The food stores?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 05:15 AM   #23
DangerLRobinson
Ensign

They probably go to the emh or crusher to handle something like antiperspirants there were few episodes in the different TV series that showed perfumes being used or at least available. Klingons clean themselves its just that they probably wouldn't take bubble baths. But the replicator was used to even make things from the past like Tom Paris' TV set or synthesis of different things the emh needed to help with nano machines from the Borg and his holoemitter . Think of all the different things we could do with a replicator. Essentially you could go outside and get some dirt ans turn that into a holiday feast.
DangerLRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:03 PM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

DangerLRobinson wrote: View Post
They probably go to the emh or crusher to handle something like antiperspirants ....
I think it's more likely you would just replicate what you wanted, or prior to the replicator obtain it from ship's store, or you would bring it aboard with you.

No need to visit the ship's doctor.

The same with any other personal vanity or hygiene supplies. It is fairly obvious that the women aboard (including T"Pol) wear makeup. Both Spock and Sulu at one point employed blue eye shadow (fashion statement).

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 07:57 AM   #25
doctorfoto
Commodore

I was thinking about food replicators and thought to myself that, in reality, ordering food from a replicator would be a horrible experience - particularly if you were behind someone at the replicator who simply couldn't make a decision.

Much like Tom Paris' "tomato soup" exchange in Caretaker, you couldn't just walk up to a replicator and say "I'll have a ham sandwich and some chips." Too many variables. What kind of bread? What kind of ham? Musturd? Cheese? (What kind?) American "chips" or British? (Again, what kind?) Plus if you were ordering food you would have to have some kind of visual interface to preview your meal choice one would think.

I see the way around it is perhaps crew members would have to set up their "favorite" foods in advance, so that when Janeway orders coffee or Dax orders raktajino or pudding, the replicator knows exactly what variables they prefer, in terms of temperature, how strong, etc. If they set up their favorites in their quarters, the interface might also sport a screen for ease of use, much like the "replication center" on the Enterprise in Data's Day

Tom Paris got the runaround about the soup because it was his first time to Voyager, and as an observer might not have technically even been officially part of the crew. I imagine that for subsequent visits to the mess hall, Paris could simply just say "tomato soup" and get it the way he prefers, while another crew member like say, Chell, could order it the very same way and get his "Bolian style with rice" without needing to specify.

There might also be "generic" meal choices, like when Sisko orders "Entree number 103" in Blaze of Glory, which was familiar enough to Eddington that he could identify it by number and contents.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 02:38 AM   #26
varek
Commander

I think the elements of the ingredients needed could be combined in a chamber, using a coler coil to mix them and swirl them into condensed particles of matter.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47365700/The-Coler-Coil
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 05:00 AM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

I think you haven't read at least the summary page of that document about the Coler Coil. Though it does read as an interesting piece of fiction.