RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 397
Newest member: DimeRhyme

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 3 2014, 02:59 PM   #4096
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Oh was it? I missed that then. All I saw was that it put two craters in the shatter-proof glass.
When she pointed it at Coulson, she said it was only a stun gun, to which he replied that his wasn't.
Old April 3 2014, 03:04 PM   #4097
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Yup. Thanks. I rewatched it, and amended my previous post. Dunno how I missed that the first time.
Old April 3 2014, 03:29 PM   #4098
Lord Anubis
Cadet

I think the whole May thing is being blown out of proportion. She has to be reporting to Fury since the whole 'Coulson knows' thing came immediately after the mission to the Guest House. This can only be a reference to the fact that Coulson now knows where the resurrection serum comes from. The Clairvoyant can't be reported to since he doesn't know anything about the serum, nor can any lower agent be in the loop since Fury code locked the file to His Eyes Only.

Also, the Bus may not be remote accessible for flight path alteration. May, Coulson, Skye and Fitz are in the cargo area of the plane when all of a sudden it turns and heads for Hand's location. The one conveniently absent is Ward who just executed Nash for really no good reason. Ward is a trained field agent, he wouldn't be that emotional. His immediate execution and really weak reasoning for why he did it makes it easy to suspect him of being a traitor. Plus his mission also had what was most likely a maximum security super-max prison where the guard room was empty. There is no conceivable reason for that to occur. If there was an emergency that required the guards to vacate that room then alarms would be blaring loud and clear.
Lord Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:17 PM   #4099
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post

That would still leave it open if Hand is a bad guy or not
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:40 PM   #4100
Forbin
Admiral

One of those stun rounds would have hit Fitz in the face if the glass wasn't there. Hard enough to score the glass! That CAN'T be healthy.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:47 PM   #4101
dansigal
Commander

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think that's fair. It was deliberately shown as out of character. I'm struggling to believe those were enough buttons to actually cause someone to shoot someone but, then again, I was predicting a scenario like the Joker in The Dark Knight, what's his face in Skyfall, or Loki in Avengers where he deliberately engineers his capture and then controls things from the inside. I definitely thought they he could not be stopped unless he was killed (so, in that sense, Ward's call was the right one provided it was done spontaneously and not under orders).
I agree with your assessment that it was the right call because at the time it seemed like he had deliberately set up his own capture. So with that being said, was it really all that out of character for Ward to kill him? Ward kills people all the time when they are an immediate threat and there is no other options. He's a tactical guy, it's his job, it's what he's trained to do. Considering letting him go wasn't an option and the situation seemed to indicate that taking him into custody was just part of his plan, is this really that different?
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:53 PM   #4102
Alidar Jarok

I don't think that was his call, though. Although that certainly seemed to be his argument when deflecting whether he was acting under orders.
Old April 3 2014, 04:54 PM   #4103
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
One of those stun rounds would have hit Fitz in the face if the glass wasn't there. Hard enough to score the glass! That CAN'T be healthy.
Yeah, that was why I discounted the talk about it being non-lethal. But upon rewatching it, I could see that the gun had the blue markings. If I'd been showrunner and wanted the rounds really to be night-night rounds, I wouldn't make it do that to the glass, but whatev.
Old April 3 2014, 05:14 PM   #4104
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It was a non-lethal weapon, but she fired with the intent of hitting him in the chest and head, not just a round in the centre of mass. For someone with her skill and training, that certainly looked like it was meant as a kill shot.

Have they ever said what two doses of that toxin will do? Presumably there's a limit to what a body can take.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 05:21 PM   #4105
Alidar Jarok

I think you're overthinking it
Old April 3 2014, 05:50 PM   #4106
Reverend
Rear Admiral

How is that over thinking? A small shot of morphine will dull pain and make you feel fuzzy. A somewhat larger shot will knock you out and a big one will shut your lungs down and kill you. Whatever is in those guns, at a certain point, there's bound to be a lethal reaction.

Did she grab the icer because she didn't intend to kill, or because it was the only weapon to hand and a safely unconscious person is much easier to kill.

Look at it logically. What was her end-game intent here? Fitz found something he shouldn't have, so she knocks him out...and then what? If he comes to then she's still outed. The flip side of that of course is what to do if she did manage to kill him? Stage an accident and hope the others buy it? Dump the body out a hatch and play dumb?

One thing is certain though, there's more going on than we know here. Personally my money is still on her being Fury's eyes and ears.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 06:00 PM   #4107
dansigal
Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post
How is that over thinking? A small shot of morphine will dull pain and make you feel fuzzy. A somewhat larger shot will knock you out and a big one will shut your lungs down and kill you. Whatever is in those guns, at a certain point, there's bound to be a lethal reaction.

Did she grab the icer because she didn't intend to kill, or because it was the only weapon to hand and a safely unconscious person is much easier to kill.

Look at it logically. What was her end-game intent here? Fitz found something he shouldn't have, so she knocks him out...and then what? If he comes to then she's still outed. The flip side of that of course is what to do if she did manage to kill him? Stage an accident and hope the others buy it? Dump the body out a hatch and play dumb?

One thing is certain though, there's more going on than we know here. Personally my money is still on her being Fury's eyes and ears.
In the real world you're absolutely right. What I think he meant by "over thinking it" is I think you're over thinking how much thought the production people put into where those shots into the glass were placed and what the effect of using two rounds would do to a person.

This seems to be a very standard bait and switch on setting up May as the bad guy.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 06:01 PM   #4108
Forbin
Admiral

^That's what he meant by overthinking it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 06:10 PM   #4109
Alidar Jarok

dansigal described what I meant perfectly so I have very little to add. I will say that I also try to avoid putting too much weight on television visuals because they don't have anywhere near the amount of time movies do to make sure things look as intended.
Old April 3 2014, 06:33 PM   #4110
Christopher
Writer

Right. The point of the scene was to make us think that May was shooting at Fitz with lethal intent. Also, more basically, it needed to convey visually that the glass had been struck by two shots. It's well-known how film and TV tend to exaggerate the effects of bullet hits (e.g. having them spark against metal) so that they'll be visible to the audience; this was another example of the same kind of poetic license.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote