TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 2 2014, 02:42 PM   #4036
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Was TWS clip at the end actually meant to be part of the episode? Putting this episode in context with the film?
Old April 2 2014, 02:46 PM   #4037
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
AoS is getting better and better. They linked a good bit to the rest of the series but created more questions. I think May is still on "good" Shield's side and working for Fury. It is neat everyone is keeping secrets from everyone else (including Fitz's "keep it from the rest of the bus")

I also got the feeling they're making room for Triplet to replace Ward or something.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Pretty good, and reasonably engaging.

I have a major complaint, though. I thought that the agents were slow on the uptake, and jumped to some obviously suspect conclusions. With all three missions going awry, it was an unwarranted assumption to suppose that the one where Deathlok showed up was the lead worth pursuing. Since security was breached at all of them, all three missions represented leads worth pursuing. Coulson seemed to recover from that by the end of the episode, by realizing that the retirement home was a false lead and that something else is up, but the realization that they were being strung along should have been made much sooner. Nice bit about switching to the tracker round, though...
Only May's group went south. Ward's group had suspicious indications (closed prison Shield didn't know was closed) but Coulson's issues could have been coincidental.
True, only the retirement home actually went south. Could have been coincidental means also could have not been coincidental. They're after their nemesis, those were supposedly the three best leads out of 13, and all three turned unfavorable at the very least.

Looking ahead, it seems that they aren't going to get a chance to follow up, even if it does occur to them, because Hand's death order is going to intervene. But I do hope we find out whether all of the potential psychics have been recruited for something.
Old April 2 2014, 02:53 PM   #4038
sojourner
Admiral

I think, since Douriif's character was a decoy, we're back to "psychic powers don't exist" territory.
Old April 2 2014, 02:56 PM   #4039
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Was TWS clip at the end actually meant to be part of the episode? Putting this episode in context with the film?
Sort of. As was the bit after the meeting where Sitwell got orders to report to the Triskelion (since he's going to be in the movie). But it was also like the Avengers trailer at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger -- a mix of "continuation of the story" and "trailer for the next movie."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:08 PM   #4040
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain May is reporting to Hand, actually. And the last scene was the big red herring; since she was cut off with her communications with May thanks to Simmons pulling the plug, Hand probably assumed May was discovered and captured/eliminated, so she's taking care of business SHIELD style.

It would be nice if it were Fury, of course, but they can't afford to reliably have him play a part in the show. And just constantly using his name and/or pretending to talk to him but never so much as even hearing his voice would get old really, really fast.
Kind of like if they Secret Service agents and were referring to the POTUS every few episodes.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:33 PM   #4041
Forbin
Admiral

Hm. Maybe that Winter Soldier scene was meant to place us in continuity... meaning that this episode of SHIELD took place right before that scene in the movie. Clever, if so.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:48 PM   #4042
Christopher
Writer

^Yup. As I said, the bit about Sitwell being called to the Triskelion, as well as the line about Fury being back on the grid, also serve to position the episode relative to the movie.

I usually wait a couple of weeks to see a new movie so the theaters won't be as crowded, but this time I feel I ought to see CA:TWS before next week's AoS episode. Which I'm sure is what they wanted.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:23 PM   #4043
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think, since Douriif's character was a decoy, we're back to "psychic powers don't exist" territory.
Perhaps. But even if psychic powers don't literally exist, the 13 individuals might nevertheless prove useful in some capacity.
Old April 2 2014, 05:41 PM   #4044
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Yeah, to any fans of Agents of Shield, I'd recommend you see The Winter Soldier ASAP
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:24 PM   #4045
Forbin
Admiral

I always wait for DVD, so I'll just have to muddle along.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:59 PM   #4046
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Ethros wrote: View Post
Yeah, to any fans of Agents of Shield, I'd recommend you see The Winter Soldier ASAP
Yup, the cinemas really aren't that crowded at at the moment so everyone should be able to get a seat this weekend for it.
Old April 2 2014, 07:09 PM   #4047
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I'll have to wait until after the weekend, but I'll most likely get to see it on Monday.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 07:38 PM   #4048
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I always wait for DVD, so I'll just have to muddle along.
Out of interest is that just because you don't like going to the cinema?

As I see people say this a lot. I don't know what the prices are like in the US, but here in the UK a cinema ticket costs me less than buying a brand new DVD/Blu-ray. So doing that would actually cost you more. And also then if you don't actually like the movie, you're stuck with a physical DVD you'll never really want to watch again.

Unless your local cinema is really expensive. My average price is about £7-8. A brand new DVD is generally £9.99, a Blu-ray around £12.99-14.99
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 08:26 PM   #4049
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Our local omniplex is £4.50 ($6.80) for a single adult ticket, £5ish for a 3D movie.
Old April 2 2014, 08:29 PM   #4050
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

What do y'all suppose is the deal with Hand? Is she maybe
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote