Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 2 2014, 11:27 AM   #2296
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Oh, and next you'll be saying they should have had a group-wide agreed upon meet-up place should anything happen to the prison! Pfft, planning and strategy in the Zombie Apocalypse. Ha!

Actually, that still would've made for a cool final scene. Daryl & Rick get chased into the train car where they find Glenn, Maggie & maybe Sasha. Then, when Carl & Michonne realize they got trapped, & maybe hear the gun fire, they prepare to go in to rescue them

That's when Bob & Abe come out & stop them, cue music, as 6 or 7 characters look down at the building where the rest are captured. Cut to black
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 02:14 PM   #2297
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But they obviously didn't have any plan laid out in a situation where the prison needed to be evacuated.
Would that make sense? With Michonne still searching for the Governor at the start of the season, one could assume she (in the interests of the prison group) was not just looking to "finish the job," but to prevent the threat of a round 2 (or 3). Rick & the rest were aware of this, so why not have a couple of contingency plans--other than get on the bus and go?
Old April 2 2014, 02:49 PM   #2298
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, some of the lack of planning by characters on the show reaches the stretching point. These are supposed to be the survivors of the ZA. You don't survive something like this without learning to make basic contingency plans.
Old April 2 2014, 02:51 PM   #2299
Ryan8bit
Commodore

The sad truth of it is that the Walking Dead is always going to operate this way. I love the show, but the characters can be so obtuse at times, and it's all to drive the plot. This whole season seemed to really exemplify that.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:09 PM   #2300
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

This is kind of cool. They created the best - and worst - places to survive a ZA

1. Texas with a survivability score of 67
With a low population density and more federally licensed firearms dealers, hospitals and Walmarts than any other state, Texas is an easy choice for best place to survive the zombie apocalypse. It also has more military bases than all but a handful of states, which will come in handy to protect your desert camp from zombie invasion, or, in the event that Fort Hood is lost, as a place to salvage supplies. If you're really worried about the ZA, a scouting trip to Texas could be a good idea.
2. Georgia with a survivability score of 65.25
Looks like The Walking Dead gang are lucky to be in Georgia, as the state's low population density, large number of Walmarts, military bases and hospitals, and high rate of gun ownership make it a great place to ward off impending doom. Of course, crazed groups of survivors trying to take your prison won't make matters any easier. Why the gang hasn't given any of the islands in coastal Georgia a chance yet, we do not know.
3. California with a survivability score of 65
California has a lot of things working against it: super high population density and a ton of large cities. But apparently the good outweighs the bad, and its mountainous terrain and impressive number of gun stores, Walmarts, hospitals and military bases tip the scales in its favor. One thing's for sure, the Sierra Nevada area and not Los Angeles is where you'll want to be.
4. North Carolina with a survivability score of 62
Guns, military bases, hospitals and Walmarts -- North Carolina has 'em in spades. It also has several urban centers and a high population density, but, again, GUNS. Perhaps the best place to hole up during the apocalypse is Asheville, NC, which has the highest concentration of breweries in America.
5. Virginia with a survivability score of 61
Virginia is pretty middle of the road in most categories, but its large number of hospitals, Walmarts and military bases make it a great spot to seek shelter from the zombies. And it's pretty close to Washington D.C., which, you know, would totally be protected to the last man standing. Also, if the ZA goes down like in World War Z, then Naval Station Norfolk will certainly come in handy.
The five worst states to survive the zombie apocalypse are:
46. Hawaii with a survivability score of 30
At first glance Hawaii would seem like a great place to survive the zombie apocalypse: it's cut off from the rest of the United States, the weather is nice and there are volcanoes in which to dispose of rotting zombie corpses. But what if the zombie virus does spread to infect entire islands? Well, then you're trapped on a small island with millions of zombies and basically no guns. Doesn't sound so paradisiacal now, does it?
47. Nebraska with a survivability score of 28
Nebraska does not score well on any category, except population density. It's flat, which means the zombies can move faster (and you won't see them because of the corn stalks!), it's only got a few gun stores and there are just a couple of military bases to protect survivors.
48. New Jersey with a survivability score of 27.5
New Jersey is the most densely populated state, and coupled with its lack of guns and mountains, means it's one of the most difficult places to survive the societal breakdown. And that's not even taking into account the millions of zombie New Yorkers who are sure to come flowing across the bridges and through the tunnels in search of their next meal.
49. Delaware with a survivability score of 16.75
Small states with no guns, no mountains and lots of people don't fare well in the zombie apocalypse. That we know. And Delaware is no exception.
50. Rhode Island with a survivability score of 14.75
And here it is; Rhode Island is hands down the worst place to survive the zombie apocalypse. Its population density is high, there are no mountains or guns, and, really, not much of anything else that would be useful either. So here's some advice to Rhode Islanders, when the mysterious bitings/illnesses start, head south.
See the full list of all 50 states and their survivability scores!

DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:11 PM   #2301
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Why can't the characters be like real people and always do what's in their best interests--especially when it's obvious.
Old April 2 2014, 04:27 PM   #2302
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

My corner of Georgia has no blood at all. But it's SO. CONGESTED. here.
Old April 2 2014, 04:33 PM   #2303
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
My corner of Georgia has no blood at all. But it's SO. CONGESTED. here.
Chattanooga isn't compared to Atlanta. Also, you've got lots of mountains to hide in and plenty of caves. Also, remember the gun ownership levels per household compared with northerners is factored into the equation. Actually, Alaska surprises me more so then Hawaii. They didn't explain that. The whole state has a population of ~700,000 and that there are thousands of square miles to hide in as it's the largest state in terms of total land mass.
Old April 2 2014, 05:03 PM   #2304
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I'd figure colder climates are the best places to avoid zombies. They aren't warm blooded so they'll freeze easier.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:22 PM   #2305
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Not that any kind of zombie analysis is all that scientific, but I particularly don't really buy that analysis of Hawaii. They have Oahu marked as the safest (probably because of their density of military bases), but Oahu is the most population dense of the islands, and regardless of how many bases there are, you'd be in trouble pretty quick. You'd be better off on one of the smaller islands, which wouldn't take that long to clear, and then you could operate by boat between islands. I'd say probably Lanai, since it's close to three other islands and has a small population/density. Or depending on the size of your group, Kahoolawe since it's uninhabited (but curiously marked as red on the map).
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:30 PM   #2306
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I was thinking that if the military could get the zombie population pared down that Hawaii would be the best place to be. If the zombies are gone....unless they can swim from island to island you'd end up safe. Just put a bullet in the head of beloved grandma and grandpa because it's the new normal and you could get life going again. Things can grow on Hawaii and you can obviously fish off shore.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:56 PM   #2307
selina
Fleet Captain

^Agreed. I'd say an island is certainly a better place to survive the ZA than the mainland. However, a boat would come in handy in case you have to evacuate.

That being said, living on a boat sounds like a pretty smart idea to me - asuming that there are any boats left because most likely all the other survivors had the same idea .

Since I live in Europe I would probably try to find a castle to live in. Very thick walls .

Last edited by selina; April 2 2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:02 PM   #2308
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I remember reading an interview with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost who said the best idea would be a big sports stadium.
As you could use the field to grow crops and there'd be plenty of room in all the surrounding building and its pretty secure.

Only problem I see with that is they tend to be in very urban areas, so there's gonna be a major surrounded by zombies problem if you ever need to go on runs etc.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:30 PM   #2309
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Woo! I'm safe in Texas, surrounded by a bunch of gun-toting rednecks!
Old April 2 2014, 06:39 PM   #2310
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Woo! I'm safe in Texas, surrounded by a bunch of gun-toting rednecks!
According to this, just over 35% of the households in Texas owns a gun - BTW I thought it would be higher than that - whereas the Lilly liver liberals in Hawaii only 6% own a firearm. Explains why Hawaiians would be in deep shit without a firearm or even access to get one to defend themselves against the zombies.

Gun ownership stats

That coupled with the fact that with the exception of Dallas, Houston, and Austin - most of Texas is kind of empty and it's one big ass state. I still don't get why Alaska would be such a tough place to survive the ZA. According to the same stats - nearly 60% of households in Alaska own a firearm, the highest in the US.