RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,519
Posts: 5,511,995
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 503
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 1 2014, 09:20 PM   #361
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Forbin wrote: View Post
I guess Patrick should just never work again, then, if it causes people such confusion to hear his voice. Good thing he and Ian Mckellan have this newfound livelihood of taking funny pictures wearing bowlers!


Distraction, not confusion.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Only people incapable of realizing that Patrick Stewart is an actor would have that problem.


Thanks. I had absolutely no idea that Patrick Stewart is an actor. That's why it confuses me terribly that when I saw him in Dune and TNG and Lady Jane and even Robin Hood: Men in Tights, he wasn't wearing his Praetorian Guard costume from I, Claudius.
Where he was brilliant I might add...
Brilliant in which one(s)? Did I say he's not good in those movies and TV shows?

The point is, his voice is distinctive enough and iconic enough (I can tell it's him in a car commercial, even when he's speaking with an American accent) that it's distracting.
Distinctive and iconic yes, but only enough to say, "Oh cool, Patrick Stewart's doing a voice-over," not enough to tear my hair out and scream "OH MY GOOOOD!! CAPTAIN PICARD'S DOING A VOICE-OVER!! NOW THE ENTIRE THIRTY FIVE MINUTES I DIDN'T HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE REST OF THE SHOW IS ROOOOOOINNED!!!"


I was surprised to hear him voicing Herschel. I am really annoyed by those stupid cartoon segments in the first place, and then was taken right out of the whole William Herschel bit.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 10:50 PM   #362
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I was surprised to hear him voicing Herschel. I am really annoyed by those stupid cartoon segments in the first place, and then was taken right out of the whole William Herschel bit.
I was quite the opposite. Hearing Patrick Stewart's voice lent a certain legitimacy to the overall theme of the episode. I was more invested in the story of William Herschel due the power of his words.

That man could read the phonebook and make it sound interesting. Mmm, let's listen to that rich molasses.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 11:39 PM   #363
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Arendelle
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Where he was brilliant I might add...
Brilliant in which one(s)? Did I say he's not good in those movies and TV shows?
No you didn't, and I never said you did. That was a joky comment praising Sir Patrick for the Praetorian role, not another criticism of you. Re-friggin-lax...

The point is, his voice is distinctive enough and iconic enough (I can tell it's him in a car commercial, even when he's speaking with an American accent) that it's distracting.
Distinctive and iconic yes, but only enough to say, "Oh cool, Patrick Stewart's doing a voice-over," not enough to tear my hair out and scream "OH MY GOOOOD!! CAPTAIN PICARD'S DOING A VOICE-OVER!! NOW THE ENTIRE THIRTY FIVE MINUTES I DIDN'T HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE REST OF THE SHOW IS ROOOOOOINNED!!!"


I was surprised to hear him voicing Herschel. I am really annoyed by those stupid cartoon segments in the first place, and then was taken right out of the whole William Herschel bit.
That's what I don't get. How exactly did a distinguished older english gentlemen providing the voice for another distinguished older english gentlemen take you out of sequences focused on a distinguished older english gentlemen? Patrick Stewart voicing William Herschel got my attention and made me listen to Herschel's words for his son. Do you really hate the animated segments that much that all you see in Stewart's performance is further reason to rag on all of them?
__________________
"You should never give up on family -- even if they say harsh things and create snow monsters to make you go away."

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:28 AM   #364
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Where he was brilliant I might add...
Brilliant in which one(s)? Did I say he's not good in those movies and TV shows?
No you didn't, and I never said you did. That was a joky comment praising Sir Patrick for the Praetorian role, not another criticism of you. Re-friggin-lax...


Distinctive and iconic yes, but only enough to say, "Oh cool, Patrick Stewart's doing a voice-over," not enough to tear my hair out and scream "OH MY GOOOOD!! CAPTAIN PICARD'S DOING A VOICE-OVER!! NOW THE ENTIRE THIRTY FIVE MINUTES I DIDN'T HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE REST OF THE SHOW IS ROOOOOOINNED!!!"


I was surprised to hear him voicing Herschel. I am really annoyed by those stupid cartoon segments in the first place, and then was taken right out of the whole William Herschel bit.
That's what I don't get. How exactly did a distinguished older english gentlemen providing the voice for another distinguished older english gentlemen take you out of sequences focused on a distinguished older english gentlemen? Patrick Stewart voicing William Herschel got my attention and made me listen to Herschel's words for his son. Do you really hate the animated segments that much that all you see in Stewart's performance is further reason to rag on all of them?
Yes, I agree he was brilliant as Sejanus. Not many actors could play such a thoroughly conscienceless character, yet make the audience feel a tiny bit sorry for him when he was about to be executed and was told his children had already been killed.

Yes, I really hate the cartoon portions of the new Cosmos.

I don't blame Patrick Stewart for doing the role; after all, he's an actor, and as you say, William Herschel was a distinguished gentleman. It was something guaranteed to get some of the audience telling people to watch/re-watch the episode on Monday, because Patrick Stewart was in it. Not because the scene itself was particularly good regardless of who voiced it, but because it was Patrick Stewart.

If you paid attention because of Stewart voicing the character, great for you. Would you have paid less attention if someone else had voiced Herschel?
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:35 AM   #365
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I had no clue it was Stewart, myself. I was concentrating on what was being said.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:55 AM   #366
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much
 
Snow Miser's Avatar
 
Location: Ice-related Pun
View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I recognized his voice, but it doesn't take me out of his performance at all. I'm actually pretty decent at recognizing voice actors. I was shocked he wasn't in the show sooner given his track record of working with Seth McFarlane.
__________________
Have An Awesome Possum Holiday!
Snow Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:10 AM   #367
Poinsettia
Commodore
 
Poinsettia's Avatar
 
Location: Hanging around
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I teared up a bit at the end.
Ditto.
Thirded.
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I recognized his voice, but it doesn't take me out of his performance at all. I'm actually pretty decent at recognizing voice actors. I was shocked he wasn't in the show sooner given his track record of working with Seth McFarlane.
Same here.
__________________
~Pondwater

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 02:03 PM   #368
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I had no clue it was Stewart, myself. I was concentrating on what was being said.
Ditto. I only found that out here. I mentioned it to my wife then, and she said "Oh yeah!! You're right! Cool."



I don't get the problem, though. I've watched a gajillion animated films with famous actors doing voices. It's never caused me to think "Damn, I can't take Master Shifu seriously 'cause all I hear is Dustin Hoffman's voice!" or "Why does that forest wolf spirit sound so much like Gillian Anderson?!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 02:57 PM   #369
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

^Yeah... if you can't cope with one actor playing more than one role, then you can't cope with acting in general, because that is what they do.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:16 PM   #370
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Unless the actor is Bob Denver, who will always be Gilligan.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:28 PM   #371
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Apropos of nothing:



Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:04 PM   #372
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

^Well, good to see they're keeping themselves entertained until Godot shows up.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:27 PM   #373
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I don't know what's the greater benefit to fandom - that those two became friends, or that they found those hats.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 07:12 PM   #374
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Arendelle
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't know what's the greater benefit to fandom - that those two became friends, or that they found those hats.
It's equal, man, it's equal!

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Yes, I really hate the cartoon portions of the new Cosmos.
I can't for the life of me see why. I take the animated segments for what they are: illustrations for NDT's discourses on these historic people. Nothing more or less. They may not be all that well animated, but I love the artwork and having professional actors voicing the characters adds to the quality of the scenes as a whole.

I don't blame Patrick Stewart for doing the role; after all, he's an actor, and as you say, William Herschel was a distinguished gentleman. It was something guaranteed to get some of the audience telling people to watch/re-watch the episode on Monday, because Patrick Stewart was in it. Not because the scene itself was particularly good regardless of who voiced it, but because it was Patrick Stewart.
So? Good for the creators for building rewatch value into an episode of what is essentially a commercialized PBS documentary series!

If you paid attention because of Stewart voicing the character, great for you. Would you have paid less attention if someone else had voiced Herschel?
Yes, but not because it's an animated scene. I'm watching the series mainly to hear NDT talk about science, because he's good at it. Like I said, the animated scenes are just illustrations to me...but I consider Sir Patrick being part of the illustration an added bonus.
__________________
"You should never give up on family -- even if they say harsh things and create snow monsters to make you go away."

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna

Last edited by Admiral2; April 2 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:15 AM   #375
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't know what's the greater benefit to fandom - that those two became friends, or that they found those hats.
Not exactly apropos of nothing:

__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.