RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,453
Posts: 5,508,523
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 495
Newest member: Commander Balok

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 31 2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: I hate you

HIjol wrote: View Post
Ok...I will bite...what in the Moons of Nibia is an "Hebert?"
Turn your back on confusion and seek the beginning. Good luck.

__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:11 PM   #17
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: I hate you

I was always under the impression that "I Hate You" was a song by Weird Al Yankovich. Even then, not one of his "better" ones and that's really saying something. I continue to be puzzled as to why this lame spoof of old school punk gets notice, even in fan circles ...
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:13 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: I hate you

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
In fifth grade my best friend and I used to go around our school playground singing, "And I say SCREWWWWW YOUUUUUU!!!!"
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: I hate you

HIjol wrote: View Post
Ok...I will bite...what in the Moons of Nibia is an "Hebert?"
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Herbert_%28slang%29
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: I hate you

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I continue to be puzzled as to why this lame spoof of old school punk gets notice, even in fan circles ...
Not Weird Al at all. And the punk was Kirk Thatcher:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kirk_Thatcher
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 11:08 PM   #21
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: I hate you

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
... why this lame spoof of old school punk gets notice, even in fan circles ...
It's not the song per se, it's because it's the Spock-kicking-ass scene music. I believe.

Spock's thing was to always kick asses very calmly.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 11:47 PM   #22
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: I hate you

xvicente wrote: View Post
It's not the song per se, it's because it's the Spock-kicking-ass scene music. I believe. Spock's thing was to always kick asses very calmly.
Understood & Confirmed! Thank you, sir.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Not Weird Al at all. And the punk was Kirk Thatcher:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kirk_Thatcher
...Your knowledge of the STAR TREK franchise knows no equal, sir! I thank you, also.
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 12:09 AM   #23
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: I hate you

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Not Weird Al at all. And the punk was Kirk Thatcher:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kirk_Thatcher
...Your knowledge of the STAR TREK franchise knows no equal, sir! I thank you, also.
I knew this, too. : pouts, pats self on back: Also, if you want to see something weird, look over his IMDB.

And it isn't Weird Al *at all* - it was made because Kirk Thatcher didn't want some cheesy pop song at that point in the movie, but something sincerely representing the actual punk rock that was supposed to be there. And having listened to the whole track many times, as well as other examples of the genre, I would say he did a good job and that if he failed in any way, it might be that the track is actually slightly too enjoyable and listenable compared to most punk.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:00 AM   #24
Indysolo
Fleet Captain
 
Indysolo's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny California
Re: I hate you

Also Kirk is credited in the film and on the Intrada album. This isn't really secret information.
__________________
"Garret Wang's costume was so 'West Hollywood', I offered to be best man at his wedding."
-Walter Koenig on Garret Wang's Of Gods and Men costume
Indysolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:29 PM   #25
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: I hate you

xvicente wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
... why this lame spoof of old school punk gets notice, even in fan circles ...
It's not the song per se, it's because it's the Spock-kicking-ass scene music. I believe.

Spock's thing was to always kick asses very calmly.
That's what really made the scene.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:35 PM   #26
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: I hate you

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Not Weird Al at all. And the punk was Kirk Thatcher:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kirk_Thatcher
...Your knowledge of the STAR TREK franchise knows no equal, sir! I thank you, also.
I knew this, too. : pouts, pats self on back: Also, if you want to see something weird, look over his IMDB.

And it isn't Weird Al *at all* - it was made because Kirk Thatcher didn't want some cheesy pop song at that point in the movie, but something sincerely representing the actual punk rock that was supposed to be there. And having listened to the whole track many times, as well as other examples of the genre, I would say he did a good job and that if he failed in any way, it might be that the track is actually slightly too enjoyable and listenable compared to most punk.
Funny thing is, it's a song about hate, written by a guy we love for writing it, apparently.
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 07:10 PM   #27
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: I hate you

It's more convincing than the Kurgan listening Queen (of course, Hard Rock material, but too sophisticated for the purpose) in Highlander.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander
 
Shon T'Hara's Avatar
 
Re: I hate you

xvicente wrote: View Post
It's not the song per se, it's because it's the Spock-kicking-ass scene music. I believe.
No, it is the song, and specifically the fact that someone managed to get "eschew you," "screw you," and "blue too" to rhyme.
__________________
My blog | Goodreads
What will the producers of Star Trek: Voyager do now that Tupac is dead?
-Lucy A. Snyder
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:50 AM   #29
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: I hate you

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
It's more convincing than the Kurgan listening Queen (of course, Hard Rock material, but too sophisticated for the purpose) in Highlander.
I know how he acted in the movie, but he *was* hundreds of years old. He probably had whole years or even decades where he just chilled and enjoyed stuff without killing anyone - and he liked Sinatra, apparently, too.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:01 PM   #30
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: I hate you

You have no honor!
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.