TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 2 2014, 12:57 AM   #16
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Doctor/Seven Thread

teacake wrote: View Post
To repeat, you don't make rules based on who gets to be the forward one or who needs their attention "earned" based on gender. These are personality quirks. Some people are forward and direct, some want to be wooed. Bringing gender into it makes it outdated.
Yes, I see that now. I was just trying to think from Harry's perspective, I guess.

The flip side to what you said is that the woman who IS forward and direct is somehow breaking a social mores and is either less womanly or "bad".
That was not my intention... very poor choice of phrasing on my part.
Old April 2 2014, 01:02 AM   #17
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Yeah the flipside is hidden like a lot of gender stereotyping. It's always good to ask how the stereotype plays out for those that don't fulfill it. Of course we do Harry a disservice in these threads all the time by playing with these stereotypes and alluding to him being unmanly because he isn't more direct. The whole men are direct, women wait to be earned is problematic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:03 AM   #18
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ So we're good, then? No hard feelings?
Old April 2 2014, 01:05 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral

We are cool.

I'm thinking it might be fun to be over the top blunt direct like 7 only what gets demanded is "EARN ME BABY, EARN ME GOOD!!"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2014, 02:49 AM   #20
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Drone wrote: View Post
Of all the reactions to Doc's mea culpas in the penultimate episode, ....

On second thought, B'Elanna's disdainful expression was probably best, sort of "more of your histrionics, so what else is new"!!!
I LOVED that look.

It not only said "More of your histrionics, what else is new?"

It also said, "After 7 years of watching me save the day at the last moment in Engineering, you STILL doubt my abilities when your 'life' is at stake???"
Old April 2 2014, 05:05 AM   #21
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Yeah the flipside is hidden like a lot of gender stereotyping. It's always good to ask how the stereotype plays out for those that don't fulfill it. Of course we do Harry a disservice in these threads all the time by playing with these stereotypes and alluding to him being unmanly because he isn't more direct. The whole men are direct, women wait to be earned is problematic.
As was said previously, generally Harry seemed more inclined to want to build up a relationship substanively and thoughtfully, over shared interests and sympathies, and definitely not directed by a programme of flash, braggadocio, and "game". I think the fact that we are able to make light of his efforts because it suited the writers that there should be a symmetry between his service and romantic advancements, should not obscure a recognition that the way he approached and dealt with others was pretty laudable. We can only speculate, but Harry likely looked to his parents as a model for how a relationship should work.

Though its conclusion didn't exactly need to be spelled out, Harry could be bold and definitive as when, probably after a number of false steps over time, he unequivocally set his feelings out to Lyndsay Ballard before her second and truly permanent departure. But as always, time and circumstance were not in his favor. Ah yes..... time and circumstance.
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 05:24 AM   #22
teacake
Fleet Admiral

We can only speculate, but Harry likely looked to his parents as a model for how a relationship should work.
So.. sweaters?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2014, 06:11 AM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It's a pairing I never cared for. Nice manips though.
Old April 2 2014, 01:50 PM   #24
Lord Manitou
Commander

Remember Doctor/Seven Thread

The doctor would never profess being in love with Seven. Personal priorities I suppose. And the same for Seven. Just as Acorntree144 said, there affair started with 'Someone to Watch Over Me' One should remember he tutored Seven through 'Unimatrix 0', even to a greater degree than an understanding Captain Janeway.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:48 PM   #25
Acorntree144
Ensign

I didn`t think this would be a discussion about Seven and Harry.
Actually I just want to share my work and find other supporters of this pairing.

Since I have many 7/D manips, it would take very long to post them all in here, so I put a link to my Star Trek folder:
http://acorntree144.deviantart.com/gallery/46559020
I would like your oppinion.

PS: teacake, thank you for your help with the video.
Here is another one:
Acorntree144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 09:42 PM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Acorn the shipping threads will always morph into discussing other possibilities. It's organic.

That's quite a few manips you have! You know what would have been excellent, if Ryan and Picardo had been in something else together, would have given the vidders a lot to work with. Of course W13 fans have been hoping for Ryan and Mulgrew to get even one scene together.. that would have set the internet on fire.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2014, 10:48 PM   #27
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Or Jeri would have set fire to Mulgrew's dressing room.
Old April 2 2014, 11:05 PM   #28
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I always thought of the Doctor and Seven's relationship as a mentor and a pupil. Though I never liked Seven's pairing with Chuckles, out of the rest of the main cast, Chuck is the best choice.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:34 AM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Doctor was in love with Seven, even I could see that. And given enough time, I could totally see her returning his affections. And it's certainly not unheard of for a teacher to fall in love with a student (or the reverse). In fact I think Doctor/Seven would have been the most realistic of all the possible Seven pairings I can think of. In a way, they have more in common than a lot of people realize.
It's not unheard of for a teacher to fall in love with a student, but pursuing those affections is, shall we say, a very French thing to do. It's unethical and it leads to the teacher having the majority of the power in the relationship. Just like Bashir and Serena could never have really been equals in a relationship, neither could Doctor and Seven. Seven needed to develop her sexuality on her own terms, not just reciprocate the first affection directed toward her. Maybe if they went separate ways and met again years later.

Heh, I can see that meeting. "Doctor, you are very kind. But I could never love a man with a personality."
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 01:32 AM   #30
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

We can only speculate, but Harry likely looked to his parents as a model for how a relationship should work.
So.. sweaters?

CARDIGANS!!!!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote