Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2014, 09:18 PM   #631
Scout101
Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Good review, more or less lines up with my thoughts. It was always leading to Robin, otherwise story doesn't make sense, too much focus on her and moments in her life with Ted. Either had to be Ted winding up with her (but someone else first to be Mother to the kids, and they explicitly aren't hers), or it was after Robin had died and they were using the Mother story to tell the kids about Robin more as well, and the times he had in his 20s.

Would have made the wedding less than the full season (maybe half-season max, and spread the finale out over more than one episode?), but in general, it worked. Couldn't really work as a full season, because after the wedding, it's pretty clear that things weren't back to normal. they spread out, didn't see each other as much, and only got together for the big moments. Did we want a season of characters each out on their own without much overlap? Worked better as a montage, just wish it was a little longer I guess.

And ending up with Robin doesn't cheapen anything with Tracy. They had 11 happy years together, and 2 kids. We saw them date, first kiss, wedding, birth of first child, etc. It just didn't last forever. Which is how things go.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:33 PM   #632
Nociod
Fleet Captain

Hated the ending, and I agree with most of the others who disliked it as well.

As someone else said earlier in this thread, I almost hope this is just some sort of April fools joke, that would be legen...dary. These two episodes? piles of shit
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:44 PM   #633
CaptainCanada
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
It's about the growth and maturation he had to do in order to be ready to be with Robin.
Too, and I seem to go back to this over and over again this season, this is the story the writers wanted to tell and the show they wanted to make.
The problem being that they did a terrible job of telling it -- in fact, they spent the last several seasons telling a completely different story, where Ted/Robin has been framed for years and years as something he needed to get over. The finale then essentially sweeps away the last several years' worth of stories (including, frankly, Barney's entire character), and reduces the Mother to a footnote (she's quite literally brushed aside to die offscreen, followed by that jarring scene of the kids telling to go date Robin).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:44 PM   #634
Campe98
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Would have made the wedding less than the full season (maybe half-season max, and spread the finale out over more than one episode?), but in general, it worked. Couldn't really work as a full season, because after the wedding, it's pretty clear that things weren't back to normal. they spread out, didn't see each other as much, and only got together for the big moments. Did we want a season of characters each out on their own without much overlap? Worked better as a montage, just wish it was a little longer I guess.
That's fair. Perhaps a better way is to keep the wedding the entire season but to have more flashforwards throughout to expand on events from the finale. We would have gotten more Tracy, which would have been great. Only issue is you'd probably have to show that Barney and Robin's marriage failed a lot sooner than I think was intended.
Old April 1 2014, 10:07 PM   #635
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ted Mosby wrote:
That ending sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 10:21 PM   #636
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just figured out how Barney was surviving financially.

Robin was paying him alimony.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 10:33 PM   #637
davejames
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The problem being that they did a terrible job of telling it -- in fact, they spent the last several seasons telling a completely different story, where Ted/Robin has been framed for years and years as something he needed to get over. The finale then essentially sweeps away the last several years' worth of stories (including, frankly, Barney's entire character), and reduces the Mother to a footnote (she's quite literally brushed aside to die offscreen, followed by that jarring scene of the kids telling to go date Robin).
And it WAS something he needed to get over in order to finally meet the Mother and enjoy his life with her. Nothing about that changed. It was only after she died that he told this story that revealed the feelings he once had for Robin, and made it clear to his kids that he was probably ready to move on.

And sorry, but I never really brought this major "transformation" Barney supposedly made. He might have wanted something more serious in his life, but the vast majority of the time he was still acting just as childish and immature as ever. It frankly wasn't hard to see how Robin would have eventually tired of that behavior.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 10:53 PM   #638
Mr Light
Admiral

It's almost 24 hours later and I'm still upset over this I had such an emotional investment in the show, particularly in Ted and the Mother.... NOT Ted and Robin, which was shown over and over and over to not work...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 11:36 PM   #639
C_Miller
Captain

To all that didn't like the ending... I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0caCEG1nH3E
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:02 AM   #640
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Having never liked this show, I was still curious enough to watch the finale on line. having done so, i offer these words of wisdom for those of you who stuck with this inane concept for nine years straight:

[Nelson Muntz, pointing] HAH HAH! [Nelson Muntz, pointing]

This dumb-ass has been droning on about some woman you've never seen or heard from for eight friggin years and in the ninth year, we find out she's DEAD. That's like the finale for Quantum Leap...except less entertaining.

God save us from hip and clever TV writers...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:06 AM   #641
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

First, I thought the finale was bullshit...

Now....

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
You guys are missing the entire point. The Mother has always been a McGuffin. She's the Island on LOST. The story has never actually been about how Ted met her. It's about the growth and maturation he had to do in order to be ready to be with Robin.
I'm calling shenanigans on this point. Then why did we spend a season, a SEASON of Ted "growing up" and realizing he wasn't in love with Robin? That they weren't ever going to be a good couple? They hammered that point home again and again and again. The balloon thing, the episode that had the wedding where she wanted to run away...

It was about saying good bye to a part of your life, to welcome in a new part.

And then, they quickly dispose of the mother off screen and somehow that means he's suddenly mature enough to get with Robin? What about Robin, did we see any of her maturing in those two minutes?

It may have been their intention to tell a story about a guy having to go through all of this stuff to be "mature" enough to get with Robin, but that's not what they ended up telling.

The Ted Mosbys out there are searching for "the one." The perfect soul mate who completes their expectation of what an ideal relationship should and must be. Tracy was exactly that. The reality of the situation is that most of the Ted Mosbys out there probably won't find her.
TV is not reality. And it wasn't the story they were telling. Again, perhaps their intention, but then the story got away from them.

Too, and I seem to go back to this over and over again this season, this is the story the writers wanted to tell and the show they wanted to make.
Then they didn't do a very good job of it. If it really was about a man seeking permission to date again... that he's trying to get over the death of his wife... they didn't do a good job of seeding that.

They basically did a punchline to a joke. So, him getting with Robin, for me, was lame, unearned, and sorta out of left field after all the work they did to 1. Have Ted get over Robin and 2. Make it a story about getting the "one."

From a certain perspective, there is the entirely legitimate ownership of that that the writers have every right to. Call me a Hollywood douche for agreeing with it, but we're fans; they're the creators. They know what they're doing. This is the story they chose to tell. Nothing they shot seven years ago made them do it; this is what they WANTED to do.
I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not the writers had a right to tell the story they wanted to tell. I think people are arguing whether or not it was SUCCESSFULLY told. And, honestly, if they story is about Ted getting with Robin, I don't think they did it very well.

We didn't see how Ted was maturing in the future, how Robin was maturing in the future in those not even two minutes.

Sorry, I don't think they executed their story very well at all.
Old April 2 2014, 12:08 AM   #642
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post

I like this one better.
Old April 2 2014, 12:25 AM   #643
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post

I like this one better.
Ditto.
Old April 2 2014, 12:27 AM   #644
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Another reason why the end was tacked on and pointless. You only need to remove 5 minutes and the mother is alive and Robarn never got divorced.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:38 AM   #645
Skywalker
Admiral

Much better.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote